Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
I wonder whether we'll get to see any pictures?
If anyone really wants to see 'em I can post a few. In a few days when I have something resembling energy again. But to be honest, they're not the best photos. A family member shot them, and he's not into photos like I am. They're not quite focused and not quite level. They're interesting to me, but maybe not to anyone else. No costumed runners or anything like that.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:01 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If anyone really wants to see 'em I can post a few. In a few days when I have something resembling energy again. But to be honest, they're not the best photos. A family member shot them, and he's not into photos like I am. They're not quite focused and not quite level. They're interesting to me, but maybe not to anyone else. No costumed runners or anything like that.
I'm sure you'll have some you like better to post soon. Congrats on both doing this at all and finishing!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
I'm sure you'll have some you like better to post soon.
Ha ha ha, yeah it doesn't take me long to find something interesting to shoot. Interesting to me, at any rate. Just today I got two new ideas, we'll see if any of these actually turn into anything....

1. The fire department purchased new electric spreaders and cutters, used primarily for vehicle extrication. The guys have been having a blast cutting three cars into shreds, but first they staged some wrecks with the cars. Including one where one car was upside down on top of the other. Now you just know that would be a fun photo shoot.

2. Sometime in the next month or so I'm going to be one of a few dozen "victims" in a drill to help the rescue squad train. This involves all sorts of make up and costumes so we can simulate various injuries. So the make up process could be fun to shoot. Plus, just imagine the possibilities with the rescues. We get to simulate various haz mat situations and they get to rescue a bunch of us from the second floor of the practice house and from a car. Gotta be a great photo or two in all of that, too.

Quote:
Congrats on both doing this at all and finishing!
Thanks, glad I did it and glad I don't have to do it again... or at least not for awhile. It was a nice day out today, though, so I did my usual circuit. Well, not the whole circuit, it was really just a short circuit, LOL. Felt good to be out, but felt even better to get back to my nice comfy couch. Ahhh the rewards of getting past the goal... extra couch time and chocolate is now allowed.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Those are all good choices. Is the Rav4 2014 out yet? When I was researching I could only find the 2013. I have always liked the Rav4 but I needed a car now and couldn't wait for the 2014 Rav 4.

P.S. A friend of mine said the Honda looks like a dog taking a dump - I just can't get that thought out of my mind.
Just came home with my new..........Subaru Forester ('14). With my trade-in and my West Coast son playing one dealer off against another, I got a great deal, better than if I had bought preowned. I have till Friday to decide about which extended warranty.

I did not like driving the latest Honda CR-Vs. Those bubble rears with the dinky rear view mirror, and less than great side window visibility, and only "okay" front windshield height, and I was turned off. I also walked away from a good Toyota Rav4 deal. The spoiler above the rear window, and the shorter height of that window compared w Subaru, didn't give me the superior visibility you get in the Subaru Forester (which I liked better than the Outback).

Now, as with any big purchase I make, I am in trauma. Going to the bank I had the DTs. No Capricorn likes to take money out, only put money in. But I have to admit I do like all the safety features of my choice, including the airbag designs. This will be the final car of my lifetime or my name isn't Scrooge.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:49 PM

Interesting study re: medical

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...night/?hp&_r=0

Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just came home with my new..........Subaru Forester ('14). With my trade-in and my West Coast son playing one dealer off against another, I got a great deal, better than if I had bought preowned. I have till Friday to decide about which extended warranty.

I did not like driving the latest Honda CR-Vs. Those bubble rears with the dinky rear view mirror, and less than great side window visibility, and only "okay" front windshield height, and I was turned off. I also walked away from a good Toyota Rav4 deal. The spoiler above the rear window, and the shorter height of that window compared w Subaru, didn't give me the superior visibility you get in the Subaru Forester (which I liked better than the Outback).

Now, as with any big purchase I make, I am in trauma. Going to the bank I had the DTs. No Capricorn likes to take money out, only put money in. But I have to admit I do like all the safety features of my choice, including the airbag designs. This will be the final car of my lifetime or my name isn't Scrooge.
Big grats! Foresters are the car of choice here in Boone, NC! Well, Jeeps are very popular, too . . . but there are soooo many Foresters here . . . folks tease that owning a Subaru is the way to fit in here! All kidding aside, though, they are reliable and keep folks safe and warm through tough winters. So I am sure you will enjoy your new vehicle! Good choice, NEG!!!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
NEG, congratulations on the new car. Subarus are great cars, safe and practical for winter and just plain good cars. You could even go to Maine in it. In the winter!!

Old 11-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
NEG, congratulations on the new car. Subarus are great cars, safe and practical for winter and just plain good cars. You could even go to Maine in it. In the winter!!
Thanks. In addition to the trauma of shelling out for a new car, I'm also traumatized by having to dissemble my disaster-preparedness car trunk. My Corolla's trunk had every possible piece of emergency equipment, including collapsible water jugs, sleeping bag and quilts, changes of clothing, cooking utensils, tarps, axe, paper goods, boots and raingear and flashlights of all kinds, carrying bags, and so on. When I emptied out the Corolla this morning I had six boxes of stuff to bring in to the house, it's all sitting in my l.r. I keep staring at it wondering how I can possibly drive around without this stuff. I'm being told to get therapy if I can't deal with driving in a car with no emergency trunk. The Subaru way-back will have the dog cage and the back seats the grandkid car seats. I guess I could get a Thule carrier at some point but I think it would be far healthier to deal with my car hoarding (I am not a hoarder within the house.)

Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Thanks. In addition to the trauma of shelling out for a new car, I'm also traumatized by having to dissemble my disaster-preparedness car trunk. My Corolla's trunk had every possible piece of emergency equipment, including collapsible water jugs, sleeping bag and quilts, changes of clothing, cooking utensils, tarps, axe, paper goods, boots and raingear and flashlights of all kinds, carrying bags, and so on. When I emptied out the Corolla this morning I had six boxes of stuff to bring in to the house, it's all sitting in my l.r. I keep staring at it wondering how I can possibly drive around without this stuff. I'm being told to get therapy if I can't deal with driving in a car with no emergency trunk. The Subaru way-back will have the dog cage and the back seats the grandkid car seats. I guess I could get a Thule carrier at some point but I think it would be far healthier to deal with my car hoarding (I am not a hoarder within the house.)
Hey, somebody who's actually worse than I am. I used to practically live in my car, driving to work, school, everywhere. And in New England you're warned to keep blankets and warm clothing, flashlights--everything in the car in winter. I always did. Last fall we got another car and dh cleaned out my stash of emergency supplies. Plastic rain cape, change of clothing, extra jacket, all of it. It's still in a box in the hallway for me to go through. Somehow I haven't loaded up the new car and I'm not going to. Maybe a wool blanket.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:

Congratulations on your '14 Forester, Newenglandgirl! Now all you need is a road trip to Maine. You will love the Forester's incredible visibility, nimble-ness/capable handling, and the AWD. Think of it as an investment in your safety and peace of mind when driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement