Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
My Cleveland trip begins this coming Wednesday. Besides seeing old friends I will be checking out the area as a possible relocation place. I'll give a report on my return.

It may not be paradise, but from what my friends tell me, it meets most of my needs.

Whoops, sorry. What was I thinking? I should have put this in the "Women who are thinking of relocating....." thread. Mods feel free to move this if that is more appropriate.
Merged, per your request.

About Cleveland (since I mod that area), it is a great metro area with a lot of variety. I lived in the metro area awhile ago, and found it to be a place that can be a great retirement option.

Good luck discovering the area. It is a beautiful place to live.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,469,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
thanks for sharing! so glad you had a good time and hope you are feeling much much better!
Happy to share.

I've given in and will be headed to Florida to hang out with an ex, in a couple of weeks. I can't take not being at the beach any longer. I just hope I'll be able to keep up with him and his very hiper self. All I want to do is lounge at the beach, I know my legs won't be able to carry me all around town to see all there is to do in that part of SF. That's what I get for shaving a few years off my age when we first met. . The body is making sure I never pull that stunt again. . I actually thought I was turning a year older than I did this year. so instead of 52, I thought I was 53 this year. I'm not just getting older, I'm getting dumber.

I do know one thing, I've got to find a way to manage this pain better, I've got too much more traveling to do before I give into sitting in a wheel chair. But the pain is really trying to pull me to a complete stop. . My doctor seems to have forgotten about the physical therapy referal slip, so I guess I'll have to wait till I get back from this trip to start back on that. Silly doc had said she would have that taken care of nearly two months ago. The PT, has helped reduce some of the pain in the past; I don't know if it will help with the foot, but I will give it a try.

Sorry about the vent, just getting a bit frustrated since it seems the pain is getting worse with even short walking distances. Might have to get that scooter after all.

Hoping everyone is enjoying the warmer weather, it's so beautiful to look out at the lush grass and trees covering the areas outside.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 AM

915 posts, read 1,626,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Happy to share.

I've given in and will be headed to Florida to hang out with an ex, in a couple of weeks. I can't take not being at the beach any longer. I just hope I'll be able to keep up with him and his very hiper self. All I want to do is lounge at the beach, I know my legs won't be able to carry me all around town to see all there is to do in that part of SF. That's what I get for shaving a few years off my age when we first met. . The body is making sure I never pull that stunt again. . I actually thought I was turning a year older than I did this year. so instead of 52, I thought I was 53 this year. I'm not just getting older, I'm getting dumber.

I do know one thing, I've got to find a way to manage this pain better, I've got too much more traveling to do before I give into sitting in a wheel chair. But the pain is really trying to pull me to a complete stop. . My doctor seems to have forgotten about the physical therapy referal slip, so I guess I'll have to wait till I get back from this trip to start back on that. Silly doc had said she would have that taken care of nearly two months ago. The PT, has helped reduce some of the pain in the past; I don't know if it will help with the foot, but I will give it a try.

Sorry about the vent, just getting a bit frustrated since it seems the pain is getting worse with even short walking distances. Might have to get that scooter after all.

Hoping everyone is enjoying the warmer weather, it's so beautiful to look out at the lush grass and trees covering the areas outside.
trosa - must be something in the air!! i honestly had to double check your post because i thought "did i write this????" - honestly - that was strange - i spent the weekend at the beach hanging with an ex - too terribly odd and i thought "i am not regressing - i am not regressing - i am not regressing........" - the sun and surf did me well -even hiked up to sugarloaf dune in the state park and probably was on the highest elevation of eastern carolina - in fact, might have found a place in wilmington to park myself for a while and think............really considering this - direct message me if you like - weekend in carolina beach/place in a beautiful spot in wilmington .............who knows.......think we need to do a carolina girl transplants meeting and talk - l'il dolphin - you're invited to join in on this discourse.........ladies, we could be forming the east coast networking here. ............................i'll host the first on a gorgeous front porch in a gorgeous old neighborhood ..............

Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 PM

TJ TriciaJ

It's the sound of the ocean beakoning that's making us do stupid things. LOL. Just kidding, my friend is harmless, long as I carry some duct tape along for when I become overwhelmed. But, I sure wish that invitation from you were out there before I bought my plane ticket, I've so wanted to visit the carolina beach area for a while. I had even planned a trip there earlier this year that didn't pan out.

After I visit with the ex, I'll be headed to the Tampa Bay area to visit friends. One of my girlfriend's co-worker's, whom I'm also friendly with, bought his first house. He will be having a two part party since it will be his b-day. Hopefully, one of the weekends, while I'm down in Fl, I'll make it over to Sarasota for a couple of nights as well. I probably won't be back in NC till mid July. It pays to have friends when you're poor. Talk about stretching a buck. I'd never be able to afford to get all this done in this one trip if not for such great hosting friends. Not friends that you put out, but ones that actually push you to come visit.

================================================== ========

OK, so to the meat of things. Why would I have left Florida in the first place when I was close to the ocean; had friends to keep me company? Well, yes, I had the friends, and yet I was still lonely, most of the friends I have in Florida, are all working full time, have growing careers, are very healthy, are much younger than myself (no I didn't lie about my age to them ), and quite frankly don't share in a lot of my interest. It gets old explaining about my arthritis and other ailments when I have to say no to many of the activities some of the people in the circle of friends ask me to paticipate in. People, most of you are in your 30's give me a break. The people I ran into my age just wanted to do crafting and go to church.

What got me to NC? It was the holliday season, of which I detest, and I let my daughter get into my head, with promises of sugar plums and everything nice. I was missing my sisters, all deceased, (they passed in and before ages 40's 50's), whom I usually spent my holidays with if not with sometimes. The past few holidays spent with the friends weren't that enjoyable, due to one of the friends that was bi-polar being quite disruptive. Her (bi-polar friend), antics always had negative effects on our small circle that shared major holidays together. We tolerated her, because we cared about her inspite of herself. But holiday season of 2008 I was severly depressed, so, when my daughter got into my head I was at a vulnerable state. I threw away my good sense and early 2009 packed up and moved to this no man's land.

Breatthhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyway. The galfriend that I will be visiting in Tampa, is like a sister, we've been close friends, since '88, but we rarely share the same interest other than the beach, we don't even like the same types of club environments, but will apease each other because, well, that's what friends do. She and I have each others back. She already told me if I move back to Fl she'll be happy to be in charge of carrying out my last wishes. She'll even go to battle with my daughter if she has to, to make sure my ashes get spread over the ocean. Whoo Hoo! She really knows how to pour it on thick.

What would I like at this stage in life? For sure to live near the ocean, have a some gal/guy(platonic) friends that I can kick back with; that share in some interest beyond just going to the beach. The going to the beach is a really nice bonus, but I would like to have gal and or guy pals that I can connect with on numerous levels and not just superficial levels. I want to be around people that care about their fellow humans, but have some meat to them. I kid around lots, but I have a pretty serious mind and will tune out as soon as my bullcht meter flickers. And that has nothing to do with my seizures. LOL.

I'm dribbling, (is that the word, some words won't form right away,) what I'm saying is I was sad and lonely, I was missing the kind of close friendships I had with women I knew like my sisters or girlfriends I had back when I was in my teens and twenties. They were the kind of friendships that had substance. I never had to question the quality of the time spent with any of them. We could be serious, stupid, angry, sad, silly, emotional with each other and it was ok. That's why I like coming here, the women (and guy or two) here are smart, funny, caring, no nonsense, kinda people. I feel like I get to come here and have the kind of conversations I've been missing for a number of years. So forgive me If I sound like an arse every so often. OK, more often than not. These days, I rarely meet people I relate so well with on so many things. If I don't obtain the friendships, I at least must get closer to the ocean. Even if I have to crawl there. I guess getting rid of all my crap is the bigger hold up when it comes to moving.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 AM

205 posts, read 397,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
trosa - must be something in the air!! i honestly had to double check your post because i thought "did i write this????" - honestly - that was strange - i spent the weekend at the beach hanging with an ex - too terribly odd and i thought "i am not regressing - i am not regressing - i am not regressing........" - the sun and surf did me well -even hiked up to sugarloaf dune in the state park and probably was on the highest elevation of eastern carolina - in fact, might have found a place in wilmington to park myself for a while and think............really considering this - direct message me if you like - weekend in carolina beach/place in a beautiful spot in wilmington .............who knows.......think we need to do a carolina girl transplants meeting and talk - l'il dolphin - you're invited to join in on this discourse.........ladies, we could be forming the east coast networking here. ............................i'll host the first on a gorgeous front porch in a gorgeous old neighborhood ..............
I love it - "A Carolina Girl transplants meeting of The East Coast Network." Think I told you I am also an east coast girl having been born in NJ but raised in Richmond, VA and lived in Raleigh for many years. My parents had always had a place in OBX (Kill Devil Hills) and eventually retired there full time. My kids spent their growing up years in the summer playing on the beach and running around the dunes of Jockey's Ridge. My parents are gone now, but still go back to get my Carolina fix. Last time was last fall (felt really strange to be staying in a motel on the beach and not at the family home). And, am going back next week! Yeah!!! Plans have now formed: taking auto train next Tuesday and will go visit my daughter in Red Bank, NJ before her move back into Manhattan. Only there two days and will then take my leisurely road trip back to FL. Spending a couple of days getting to OBX via Maryland's eastern shore (bay side this time), two days in KDH to walk the beach, eat soft shelled crabs at Awful Arthur's, visit my parents graves in Manteo, then down to Ocracoke. Have been there many times but never stayed. This time am staying five days then taking ferry to Cedar Island and back to mainland before heading south. I am so looking forward to this trip I'll be driving through Wilmington so maybe a chance for a meetup??? Going to Carolina in my mind and body. Will be playing shag music and James Taylor; how great is that?! Karen, "the silver girl."

Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
I love it - "A Carolina Girl transplants meeting of The East Coast Network." Think I told you I am also an east coast girl having been born in NJ but raised in Richmond, VA and lived in Raleigh for many years. My parents had always had a place in OBX (Kill Devil Hills) and eventually retired there full time. My kids spent their growing up years in the summer playing on the beach and running around the dunes of Jockey's Ridge. My parents are gone now, but still go back to get my Carolina fix. Last time was last fall (felt really strange to be staying in a motel on the beach and not at the family home). And, am going back next week! Yeah!!! Plans have now formed: taking auto train next Tuesday and will go visit my daughter in Red Bank, NJ before her move back into Manhattan. Only there two days and will then take my leisurely road trip back to FL. Spending a couple of days getting to OBX via Maryland's eastern shore (bay side this time), two days in KDH to walk the beach, eat soft shelled crabs at Awful Arthur's, visit my parents graves in Manteo, then down to Ocracoke. Have been there many times but never stayed. This time am staying five days then taking ferry to Cedar Island and back to mainland before heading south. I am so looking forward to this trip I'll be driving through Wilmington so maybe a chance for a meetup??? Going to Carolina in my mind and body. Will be playing shag music and James Taylor; how great is that?! Karen, "the silver girl."
Sounds great! Have a wonderful trip! Mary

Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Hey karen, I lived in Red Bank, NJ for the first half of my time in Monmouth Co. I also visited Ocracoke last fall, I had a blast there, have an album of the trip in my profile. Take a lookieif ya so wish to. Whanna see a pony? I camped one night at the beach, not a pleasant night, spent the next night at Black Beards Inn where most of the smart people in my group stayed.

If you ladies are still hanging around when I get back mid July, I sure would be love to frolick along the shore with ya all. Who knows what kind of trouble we could manage to get into at our ripe ages. Or at least tap one for yes, two for no.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 PM

205 posts, read 397,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Hey karen, I lived in Red Bank, NJ for the first half of my time in Monmouth Co. I also visited Ocracoke last fall, I had a blast there, have an album of the trip in my profile. Take a lookieif ya so wish to. Whanna see a pony? I camped one night at the beach, not a pleasant night, spent the next night at Black Beards Inn where most of the smart people in my group stayed.

If you ladies are still hanging around when I get back mid July, I sure would be love to frolick along the shore with ya all. Who knows what kind of trouble we could manage to get into at our ripe ages. Or at least tap one for yes, two for no.
Hi, I love Red Bank - it is the perfect little town to me. I've seen the OBX ponies - love it. No beach camping for me - did that once (years ago) in Sandbridge, VA - . Will be staying at an inn by Silver Lake Harbor. Can't wait!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Count me in...front porches, rocking chairs, a nice little wine and a balmy breeze blowing...how can we miss? Carolina Girls rule.

--the Dolphin

Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM

915 posts, read 1,626,629 times
Quote:
wow! we are making the east coast connection! that would be great if us caolinahs could all "meet up"! - last week was the beach music festival here in CB - when the band sang "carolina girls", I felt i could legitimately join in ..............i mean, i have spent the past ten years dealing with a carolina boy/cheering for the wolfpack-dissing the tarbabies/eating eastern carolina bar-b-que/drinking sweet tea and learning to always add "bless her heart" when gossiping........................

karen, we have talked about our crossing paths before -richmond/obx/kdh and I'm going to be jealous of you eating those soft shelled crabs - to die for! used to get them at sam and omies (i think that was the name) and the she crab soup at claires and windmill point....sigh! actually, have found a great chowder in carolina beach at michael's - just won an international competition in boston, in fact and it is fantastic.....

if you are wilmington, it would be a delight to meet up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement