Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM

79 posts, read 114,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
For those of you who have moved to Florida - if you buy a home, how much is your homeowners' insurance? Mine is over $3,000.00! for a 1435 sq. ft. home! I don't think I can afford to retire down here.
Popcorn, how far from the water is your house located? I would think that homes near the ocean have higher rates and those 25 miles in, and away from hurricanes, would be rated similar to other states. I've never lived in Florida and would also like to know about homeowners' insurance rates there. Maybe rates across Florida and other coastal states are higher to compensate for the homes within 20 miles of the ocean in those states.

I've read that Charleston, SC has hurricane damage zones up to 20 miles away from the ocean. The winds are so high during a hurricane that they snap trees and damage houses far inland.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
I'm sorry about the setback, Minervah. You're right that waiting until spring is better than trying to move in the winter.
Thanks Riverbird, it will happen. I just consider it a longer time to perpare and make to amends to the kitty who I am sure would rather not make the change.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:58 AM

28 posts, read 88,898 times
TRosa, Anyone who stalks a womens' retirement forum online is probably trolling for potential targets for con artistry. Unfortunately, women of a certain age are considered fair game by some unsavory types like the stalker.
On another note, I posted back in 2009 regarding facing losing my federal job and having to take early retirement. As it turned out, I have been gainfully employed by another federal agency and am living and working overseas in Europe. In one and 1/2 years, I will be able to retire with my full pension and am planning to return to the U.S. My 3 grown children live on the East coast but I last lived in Northern CA. and really miss it. The upshot of this is that I would like to buy an RV and travel around for a year looking for my perfect spot. Chances are, I will be doing half-time in the East and the other in the West IF I can afford it. Also, Europe has some great retirement possibilities that are "affordable" depending on your situation. But for me, being so far from my friends and family is difficult.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 AM

28 posts, read 88,898 times
Zugor, Tell me more about living in Floyd, VA. I am considering Blackburg as a place to settle. What do you think about the area? I'm an artist and would very much like to paint and sculpt to my heart's content but don't want to be too isolated either.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Minervah, good to hear from you, please take care of yourself and hope you are feeling better real soon! Yes, very wise to wait until after winter to move...that would be rough.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thanks for asking. My friend in Cleveland tells me there is good transportation for Seniors and we have an area or two picked out where I can walk to pretty much everything I will need. This will be around her area and since she is also retired she says she will not mind driving me when the need comes up.

I really appreciate that but I learned that it's better to depend upon reliable public transportation more so than friends. Not that they don't mean well, I just don't think it's fair to depend solely on others for my needs.

The move was going to take place in the Fall, but I had to start on chemotherapy for an illness called Sarcoidosis and that will last into the Fall. Once that is over, no matter what the results, I will be moving. I am thinking now of next spring since the winter time is no time to move to NE Ohio.

So I just have to be patient for a little while longer.
If she gives you rides, I'm more than sure she will appreciate help on the gas money as gas prices climb higher. I agree, moving in spring is easier, and the rents may be cheaper at that time too as the students and job-movers move out. On the other hand, you might find something nice in October after the Sept. apt rush. I keep hearing such interesting things about Cleveland.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabian View Post
Also, Europe has some great retirement possibilities that are "affordable" depending on your situation.
I am currently looking seriously at SW France, Languedoc. Do you have any thoughts about that?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
That is where my dad's side of the family is from. I"ve never been to France. Do tell what you find out!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Talking Shout out to WISTERIA

I haven't seen her posts lately and was wondering how she's doing????

Does anyone know?

Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
For those of you who have moved to Florida - if you buy a home, how much is your homeowners' insurance? Mine is over $3,000.00! for a 1435 sq. ft. home! I don't think I can afford to retire down here.
I live in Florida. Another poster was correct. If you live near the ocean, your premiums are much higher. However, I live within a few miles of the ocean. My insurance for an inexpensive 1000 sq. ft. home was around $1,200 a year, but they kept canceling my policy after the first year, as it is an older house built in the 70,s. So this year, I said enough, and just bought a liability and fire policy for $600 a year., and decided to take my chances with hurricanes. Hope I don't regret it someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement