Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Just curious...how many times did you visit Anderson, SC area and did you visit in the summer (July-August). If so, what was your reaction to the heat/humidity, or do you think you would get used to it, or it just didn't effect you all that much.

I see lots of folks considering the SE (including myself) but for that intense heat of summer. I've read lots of posts in the NC thread mostly, some people "adjust" but it still seriously effects them, and others end up moving because they just can't tolerate that kind of heat for such a long period of time. And there are some who adapt because they hated the cold weather so much so it was a worthwhile trade off for them.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket because I know how much work it is to finally find the right place...but just curious on your thoughts about the long summer heat that you will encounter. It just never made much sense to me to have to stay in A/C for like 4-5 months when the whole point is to be outside and enjoying things in the summertime. Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Are you addressing MZ here? (not clear)

Anyway, as for me, I visited that area once in June and once in July and the heat and humidity were intense. That said, with climate changes we are now seeing all manner of unexpected weather changes that are unusual. It could be just a coincidence that the two times I was there it was overbearingly hot/humid. Same when I went to Knoxville. But also remember that everyone has a different tolerance for different temps and levels of humidity. I can take the cold (though don't like it bitterly cold) but cannot take overwhelming wet heat. My ideal temp range is between 40 and 70 degrees (either sunny-dry or cool-rainy, but NOT warm-humid). I guess that means I should be living in San Francisco . Everyone's tolerance is different , that's why when thinking of moving to another area of the country you visit extensively during the known "tough" seasons. I would never suggest that someone move to New England without encouraging them to visit between Jan. and March.

BTW, my DP, who has a high tolerance for everything, nearly fainted in the heat in Greenville SC (in July). I was surprised, as he's a hale and hearty individual. He had the same reaction in Orlando, FLA when there on a business trip. Yet he can go out in 0- degree weather with only a few sweatshirts on and no longies. We are all very different....

Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I almost missed this~~

Well, ole moneybags - how are you going to keep up with all these properties around the globe?
no bags of money here. My props are all 'self supporting' (rented) and bought quite cheap. I just make sure they have a 'spot' for me (RV or separate apartment).

For No CO I looked at several duplexes and 4 plexes. Seems I need a 4 plex to really have secure cashflows, just keeping my eye on a certain group of them that I consider 'walkable'. They go for ~$240k, and rent for $700 / unit, thus an ez 10% return. Duplexes are ~ $200k, so they don't pencil out as nice.

I give my renters annual incentive for being on time, staying and NEVER bothering me. (they have the names / contacts of my 'fix-it-man'). I am loosing a renter that I have had for 10 yrs. the previous was 8 yrs. They ALL have got tired of the rain in PNW and fled to better climate. (as I do frequently... (A VERY bad example for them))

I am funding most my properties with 'retirement savings', thus instead of $100k in a 0.5% interest bearing account.... I have bought a $100k property and get $1000/month rent. All of them are paid off. When I get too old / tired of renting them out, I will sell w/ 30% down and carry the paper at 5-7%. By doing so, I will probably NOT have a house, but RENT wherever I feel like to eternity... Or, so goes the 'plan' (subject to change at any moment).

Unfortunately, I don't have the bucks to pay off the 'main-house'... casa grande... it just got a new 30 yr loan at 3.25%.

My goal is to have $500k WORKING at 10%, so I NEVER have to work (again). Currently there are some 'hic-cups', so guess what I'm doing... working a PT gig

Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Stealth, I admire your nerve in doing this. I would always be worried I could not find decent renters, or could not sell in a crisis.

I have a house I could not sell for anything like what it cost me to build. I planned to stay into old, old age, but even in my late 60's I find I cannot maintain a rural property, and it's getting harder and harder to drive over an hour to services. I think you may be younger, when all things still look possible!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So, Umbria.... (foot tapping)....when are you putting the house up and making that move? You've been wanting to do it for years! I have never been to CO, but having lived in MO twice I can tell you it is forever landlocked. NC and SC on the other hand have an access to the sea () I seriously considered NC (Cary-Raleigh area), which I liked but for the summer heat and same for the Greenville area of SC. I was ardently seeking a nicer winter but not at all sure I could trade for those kinds of summers. That said, I am a tad older now, and heat may be a welcome thing! I love the name of the town "Travelers Rest" and I very much liked the little town called "Landrum." I am a townie at heart even though I love big-city culture Make a visit! (be sure to go in July or Aug )
Listen here little Miss tapper - or should I call you NAG instead of NEG (just kidding but I sure cracked myself up). I'm aware that it's time to get off the pot. I also believe that things happen for a reason, whether we know what the reason is or not. I have been very stagnate, which is totally different than my usual nature. I haven't understood it either but I've always believed that I have a guardian angel - so blame on her (or him).

I wonder all the time if I want to go back to CO where I am somewhat familiar with the area OR do I want to try a whole new area?

I love the ocean, in all it's glory, except when it starts pitching fits. I would love volunteering at a marine animal rescue type of place. I could stand and splash water on a beached whale all day - until it swam away safe, of course. Living too close to the ocean brings many issues (high home ins, extreme weather).

I'm not a small town person. I grew up in a few and have friends that live in one of them and I am always amazed at how narrow their thinking is. The fun, hip, free thinking people I once knew have turned into ~~their parents. So, a medium size to metro area would be better.

For weather, I live in MN - we get it all: cold, hot, dry, humid. I must say I can tolerate cold better than extreme heat/humidity but maybe that would change once I acclimated. My dogs sure like winter the best - unless it's severely cold, they beg to out over and over and when they do - they're out there rolling around in the snow. They get very frisky

So, I need 4 seasons (with at least some snow), an ocean that gets an occasional beached whale that I can splash and then send it on it's way, with open minded people.

Life is short so it's time to decide~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
...I wonder all the time if I want to go back to CO where I am somewhat familiar with the area OR do I want to try a whole new area?

I love the ocean, in all it's glory, except when it starts pitching fits. I would love volunteering at a marine animal rescue type of place. ...

I'm not a small town person. I grew up in a few and have friends that live in one of them and I am always amazed at how narrow their thinking is. The fun, hip, free thinking people I once knew have turned into ~~their parents. So, a medium size to metro area would be better.

...So, I need 4 seasons (with at least some snow), an ocean that gets an occasional beached whale that I can splash and then send it on it's way, with open minded people.

Life is short so it's time to decide~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
oh, my... I had no idea that Ocean was keen to you

Thus Colorado might NOT be your BEST spot (time is short for all of us...)

Corvallis, OR or McMinnville should be on your short list. <1 hr to Ocean or Portland 4 seasons with occasional snow (more in higher elevations near towns). Close enough to beach to go there for weather changes, but far enough to avoid coastal issues. They are both NICE college towns with plenty going on. Hatfield Marine Science Center is in Newport. GREAT volunteer place. (I taught / attended many classes there for our homeschool teams in PNW). Hatfield Marine Science Center of Oregon State University

Really, I think you might LOVE it in PNW (or Colorado). I sure do (excluding my frequent rendevous to sunshine... $38 flights to Sacramento or San Diego). I love MSP too, but life is too short to ONLY do potluck church dinners for fun. Portland / west coast gives me LOTS of diverse activites and people to chum with.

Come on out and give 'er a whirl. SWA is having another sale today !!! I just booked 3 more trips and people bring their dogs! (not me... mine is a FARM dog... no flying, he might get SPOILED). NICE thing about SWA, is you can cancel your trip and rebook a different destination FOR FREE (just did that tonight also). I LUV SWA .

My SW WA home is available while I'm in San Diego and San Antonio, + I need to be in Thailand and Singapore the month of April. (my house is in Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area, 20 min to PDX, and 30 min to downtown and 1.2 hrs to Coast) crown point vista house - Google Search If you come in spring, you can mow my 5 acre lawn 2x/ week

If I were to CHOOSE an ideal time to come visit PNW / Portland (besides August - Oct), it would be the weeks slightly ahead of Mother's day . Full Bloom Rhodies, WONDERFUL, but potential wet... REAL wet on occasion. Come and stay for a few weeks, you will be bound to find some nice days too. Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
another GREAT time to come is during late portion of Portland Rose Fest and Early portion of Chamber Music NW fest. (Late Jun, early July) still rainy till July 5th... so you can wear longjohns and raingear to LARGEST 4th of July Celebration west of Mississippi.! Sun comes on July 5th and stays for 80 days in a row. DRY, SUNNY, daylight 4AM till 10PM

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-05-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
oh, my... I had no idea that Ocean was keen to you

Thus Colorado might NOT be your BEST spot (time is short for all of us...)

Corvallis, OR or McMinnville should be on your short list. <1 hr to Ocean or Portland 4 seasons with occasional snow (more in higher elevations near towns). Close enough to beach to go there for weather changes, but far enough to avoid coastal issues. They are both NICE college towns with plenty going on. Hatfield Marine Science Center is in Newport. GREAT volunteer place. (I taught / attended many classes there for our homeschool teams in PNW). Hatfield Marine Science Center of Oregon State University

Really, I think you might LOVE it in PNW (or Colorado). I sure do (excluding my frequent rendevous to sunshine... $38 flights to Sacramento or San Diego). I love MSP too, but life is too short to ONLY do potluck church dinners for fun. Portland / west coast gives me LOTS of diverse activites and people to chum with.

Come on out and give 'er a whirl. SWA is having another sale today !!! I just booked 3 more trips and people bring their dogs! (not me... mine is a FARM dog... no flying, he might get SPOILED). NICE thing about SWA, is you can cancel your trip and rebook a different destination FOR FREE (just did that tonight also). I LUV SWA .

My SW WA home is available while I'm in San Diego and San Antonio, + I need to be in Thailand and Singapore the month of April. (my house is in Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area, 20 min to PDX, and 30 min to downtown and 1.2 hrs to Coast) crown point vista house - Google Search If you come in spring, you can mow my 5 acre lawn 2x/ week

If I were to CHOOSE an ideal time to come visit PNW / Portland (besides August - Oct), it would be the weeks slightly ahead of Mother's day . Full Bloom Rhodies, WONDERFUL, but potential wet... REAL wet on occasion. Come and stay for a few weeks, you will be bound to find some nice days too. Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
another GREAT time to come is during late portion of Portland Rose Fest and Early portion of Chamber Music NW fest. (Late Jun, early July) still rainy till July 5th... so you can wear longjohns and raingear to LARGEST 4th of July Celebration west of Mississippi.! Sun comes on July 5th and stays for 80 days in a row. DRY, SUNNY, daylight 4AM till 10PM
I failed to mention I need sun - all year. That constant gloom would get to me real quick. A day or two here is enough.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM

OK, Ocean + sun + 4 seasons = California (if not keen on humidity) or Brokkings OR (small 'remote' town). SE USA (SC / NC / GA) might work, but it IS a long way between snow and beach.

If sticking to USA... Hawaii has worked for a S-I-L for 35 yrs. (Too cold of BEACH for me, NOT really 4 season, but both beach and snow)

Cook Islands is my style for beach, (by I need to hop to NZ to get snow (which I need FAR less of))

I do LOVE the fall (that is what my NE TN place is for).

Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 AM

428 posts, read 643,609 times
hey i want in!
hiya stealth, i see you're on this discussion also! (may i ask, are you a lady too?)!
i've got so much to think about as dh needs chemo asap and we feel we need to get this place sold also asap.
we hope that by the time he's finished with chemo the house will be sold and we'll have couple of shekels to squirrel away. meanwhile we're researching rvs and going full time in the time he has left.
it's going to be scary when he's gone and it's just me and the critters.
i think my summers in vermont are a solid thing, so i just have to find somewhere (or not) to call home. perhaps i'll go different places winters and come 'home' summers.
winters on an ocean beach sounds heavenly if i can afford it.
ack, how on earth am i going to pull this off?!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Default Ocean + sun + 4 seasons = California

Ocean + sun all the time + 4 seasons just doesn't exist, not even in California. You could get ocean + sun, Ocean + 4 seasons but not all 3, at least no place I am aware of. If you find such a place, please let me know!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
I wonder all the time if I want to go back to CO where I am somewhat familiar with the area OR do I want to try a whole new area?

I love the ocean, in all it's glory, except when it starts pitching fits. I would love volunteering at a marine animal rescue type of place. I could stand and splash water on a beached whale all day - until it swam away safe, of course. Living too close to the ocean brings many issues (high home ins, extreme weather).
I say go where the heart did when you were younger, there is a connection there and a history of some kind. It is not as scary as going somewhere totally new, especially if alone. Since you are already landlocked, living in CO wouldn't seem to be a terrain shock. And you know the culture there so it would most likely be easy to make friends. I've never been to CO but would probably check out Fort Collins, seems like my kind of place, though I bet it's pricey.

For me, ocean is fine for visiting. I experienced several wild hurricanes during Cape Cod summers when growing up, plus there's something about living near the sea (for me) that seems lonely and disconnected in winter (I'm talking about North, don't know about South and West). It's a very different feel from living in the Midwest and you may or may not adjust.

You could always take the plunge and put your home up for sale and see where the universe directs you under pressure to move. I usually work better under pressure as I am prone to dilly dally about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.