Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

There is a 'Village' senior housing co-op in Fergus Falls.

Give it a look (sometimes you can rent short term and buy later.)
http://www.villagecooperative.com/lo...0/fergusfalls/

Senior Cooperative Foundation

Not cheap, but 'just fits' many (I prefer the 'homestead' cooperatives or Becketwood)

I hope to build my own in the next 20 yrs. (rural 'cottage' cooperative <$80k / share)

Animals and gardens... and a very big barn / shop and craft / community / kitchen space.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:26 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Thanks Stealth,
I actually did find a way to check on HUD Senior housing and they are sending me an application for one that I didn't realize was HUD. The thing is, I was laid off at age 55. I did not realize we were in the start of the recession & never even thought I'd not be able to find another job at my age. I'd been laid off once before in my life & had a job within a month. So, I was an idiot. When I saw my pension plan losing money & hadn't found a job, I took it out & spent it on trying to save my house. It got to the point that I had to apply for food stamps ended up in bankruptcy & lost everything. On top of that came back trouble & subsequent back surgery. Finally I was certified disabled just as I turned 61. So there is no money left & my income will be social security.

Living in HUD housing is my realistic choice. The reason I'm staying in Minnesota is because quite a few of my family lives here l love my doctors and Minnesota really does take care of their seniors with respect. I'm sure other places do too & I may consider re-thinking my decision after the winter. This will be the 1st winter after the operation so I'll have to see how my back takes it.

Tennessee still calls to me but at this time it's dealing with a known as opposed to an unknown. It's tough when you've ben independent all your life to have to rely on others.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:34 PM

I will probably take those comments back in this spring, lol. It's starting to get cool here, still not 'winter' cold so I am waiting to see how much it bothers me. Investigating Tennessee again. We'll just see.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Where in TN?
Pleasant Hill is the right fit for some retirees.
Uplands Village

I am looking for a place in NE.... I like rural Johnson City or Bristol, Gray, Jonesborough, Greeneville, Elizabethton...

Old 11-08-2014, 08:03 PM

I've never been to Tennessee so unsure. My brother has lived in Nashville for many years and another lives in Marion, Il. I liked Marion, but my Tennessee brother wants me to be closer to him. And the pictures I see of the Knoxville area look so beautiful.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Well these last 2 days have made me think harder about moving. Only 2 days of snow and cold and my back hurts so bad, have barely moved off my chair. I know I can't determine the whole winter on 2 days but, oh I hurt. So, still staying until spring, which will enable me to finalize plans, visit Knoxville and really investigate the place I'm contemplating on calling home.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Meo: Yes I hear ya. I have been watching the weather in several places and am thinking the same thing. Maybe I will just stay here (Phoenix area) since I remember those days with snow and cold. And moving? Not sure I can do it anymore.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM

It's been a tough two days & it's supposed to continue until next Wednesday when we will get ((gasp) up to 32. I really didn't mind winter as much as I do now. So yes, I'm probably have to move.

I was talking to my bank folks today & they are so glad to see me out & about but I told the teller who helped me that I would probably move before next winter. She was sad but these folks have seen me struggling to walk & getting better at it & I think they are so pleased to see my progress. These two days have set me back a lot & it's quite noticeable.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Although I have lived my entire life in New England and it is a part of me, I think it's time to leave. The past two winters have been absolutely horrible and dangerous. I fell on the ice last year and injured my wrist. Rural areas are great in summer, not so great when you get older and are not up to 100% of what you used to be. Winters are rough.
This state is very expensive too, the heat, the electricity, everything.

I have no family left in New England, no one I am close to, but I have my sister in Virginia Beach. I think we would like to find an apartment complex with older people so that we could have some friends, people to talk to. It would be quite a change from being isolated out here and only having each other to talk to. I don't need anything expensive or fancy, just something clean, safe, and decent with access to nature yet access to good healthcare. We're making the trip to VA probably in January to investigate. I hope that will be our final move.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Although I have lived my entire life in New England and it is a part of me, I think it's time to leave. The past two winters have been absolutely horrible and dangerous. I fell on the ice last year and injured my wrist. Rural areas are great in summer, not so great when you get older and are not up to 100% of what you used to be. Winters are rough.
This state is very expensive too, the heat, the electricity, everything.

I have no family left in New England, no one I am close to, but I have my sister in Virginia Beach. I think we would like to find an apartment complex with older people so that we could have some friends, people to talk to. It would be quite a change from being isolated out here and only having each other to talk to. I don't need anything expensive or fancy, just something clean, safe, and decent with access to nature yet access to good healthcare. We're making the trip to VA probably in January to investigate. I hope that will be our final move.
I agree with your plan and wish I could do it. After my mom died we traveled down through VA through Roanoke, Salem and Abingdon. We didn't go in winter though, but we liked that area a lot. Having lived in the middle-Midwest where we had winter but not unbearable ones, I imagine that this area of VA is much like it. Many seniors who say they hate heat/humidity like in TN and VA and south come to prefer that over the northern winters. It's all a tradeoff, but the scales get tipped with age in favor of more manageable winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement