Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 06:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
For those of you looking for your retirement Nirvana on a very limited budget, here is a check list.
1. Transportation; bus service and bus stop in walking distance?
Is other transit available for elderly and disabled?
2.Cost of living Index; subsidy's for seniors? Utility prices? Property taxes? Is SS or pensions taxed? $food? $rent? Mortgage? Vehicle Registration costs. Regional taxes, how much?
3. Senior support services; medical, home aids, grocery deliveries available?
4. Entertainment; senior social networking: church, grange, clubs, senior centers, community playhouses.
5. Geographical; How's the weather? Family nearby? Does the area hold interest for you? Are the activities you love available in this area?
Please feel free to add to this list.
Senior transportation, typically a mini-van that operates out of the council on aging or senior center. I won't live in a town without one, as bus stops are usually at a distance and buses are not easy to get in and out of or easy to get a seat. Senior transport is door to door, to supermarket, doctors, etc.

Have you found a place that fits this bill?

Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's been a tough two days & it's supposed to continue until next Wednesday when we will get ((gasp) up to 32. I really didn't mind winter as much as I do now. So yes, I'm probably have to move.
These kinds of winters in the North are going to challenge many of us aging boomers. One woman I know who lives suburbia stepped out her back door and fell on black ice (you can't see it) and is now incapacitated. Seniors of advanced age needing to get out for necessities and driving on ice and snow is a scary situation, getting in and out of the car and driving. Relatives and friends having to help seniors get around isn't easy for them either, what with the bundling up, avoiding falls, waiting, etc. I am imagining a huge migration toward Southern areas within a few years.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:10 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We stumbled upon the same town not so long ago on our way down to Abingdon. Really liked the old-fashioned downtown, lovely college campus and welcoming public library. I'm not so sure they always get mild winters, though. Something to track.
Yes, I think you are correct. Although after last year's winter here in upstate NY, anything would be mild by comparison! I think I could handle the winter if it was shorter. Even if it still put out a few nasty spells, just not November to the end of April. That's just too long for me!!

Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I hear you bridgerider. Newenglandgirl, that's a great list. I've investigated a few of them, well, quite a lot actually and am waiting for a packet from the Knoxville Chamber of Commerce which I hope will give me more info. How do we find out food pricing? I know I can google for a lot of these things and you're right about the rides for seniors. It's tough where I live now, 14 miles from town but live with a sister and a brother 'next door' (the next road). Minnesota is not as wonderful for seniors as some places I've heard of.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
How do we find out food pricing?
Find out the names of the major grocery stores in your selected area and google for their weekly ads. After awhile, you get a pretty good feel for it.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM

Uh huh! I love this forum. My dream may indeed become a reality yet. Thanks Gandalara.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:19 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
or better yet, subscribe to a local newspaper. That'll tell you a whole lot of stuff, and not just about costs.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:13 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Senior transportation, typically a mini-van that operates out of the council on aging or senior center. I won't live in a town without one, as bus stops are usually at a distance and buses are not easy to get in and out of or easy to get a seat. Senior transport is door to door, to supermarket, doctors, etc.

Have you found a place that fits this bill?
The city I live in has that, and it's free, although I've never used it. You are supposed to call a day or two ahead of time to make an appointment for your ride, so it's not the same as a taxi service.

I can see the advantages for people who no longer drive, but what gripes me is that our system operates seven days a week, which I think is a waste of taxpayer money. People are not going to have doctor or dental appointments on weekends, and they can easily do their grocery shopping Monday through Friday as well if they depend on such a system.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Church?

Old 11-22-2014, 07:26 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Church?
That's a good point. Also, some medical offices are open on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement