Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I returned to this thread after being gone for a few days. The reason that I asked the question was that it seemed hard to believe that someone had "10 to 20" people betray them and not consider that unusual.

Have I been annoyed by someone? Yes. Has someone disappointed me? Yes. Has someone told me a white lie? Yes. Has someone exaggerated the benefit of something to me? Yes.

But, has anyone betrayed me? Nope, not once in 67 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Wow. That is truly remarkable!!! Unbelievable, actually. I would love to know more about your life - see a picture of you, understand HOW this could be possible.
(snip)
It's amazing to me that some live truly charmed lives. Hard to imagine. Must be nice.
I laughed out loud when I read your comments. Charmed life? I grew up in poverty and fought tooth and nail to be well educated and successful. But had severe financial difficulties several times as an adult. I survived Stage IV cancer, (my oncologist came close to describing it as a miracle -maybe that was charmed), my husband also survived Stage IV cancer.

I was a caregiver for many years to my husband, who had dementia and a traumatic brain injury and lost him far too early to death. I have numerous major health issues so I would hardly call it "a charmed life".

However, I can not even think of a minor betrayal by a loved one, family member, friend or co-worker/employer. Not even one. And, I bet that there are a lot of people like me.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:38 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I don't think it's a case of some having "truly charmed lives". I think that other people may define a betrayal differently than you do. That might be attributable to the nature of the incident, or the severity of the action, whatever. However, that doesn't mean that these other people have lived lives of perfect ease and lack of conflict, stress, or pain. They may have just interpreted those incidents and actions that were taken against them in a different way than you do, and not as "betrayals". The bottom line that I get from your post is that you are still incredibly bitter about the betrayals you have received, or perceived, in your life and that it is negatively impacting your current interactions with others.
Nope, not bitter at all - was just incredulous when it happened a couple of days ago with someone I so admired and trusted. Would never have guessed it.

I have forgiven every person who has betrayed me - I tend not to hold grudges.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I laughed out loud when I read your comments. Charmed life? I grew up in poverty and fought tooth and nail to be well educated and successful. But had severe financial difficulties several times as an adult. I survived Stage IV cancer, (my oncologist came close to describing it as a miracle -maybe that was charmed), my husband also survived Stage IV cancer.

I was a caregiver for many years to my husband, who had dementia and a traumatic brain injury and lost him far too early to death. I have numerous major health issues so I would hardly call it "a charmed life".

However, I can not even think of a minor betrayal by a loved one, family member, friend or co-worker/employer. Not even one. And, I bet that there are a lot of people like me.
That is so interesting to me - so, as I said, we all have our different challenges. I have had pretty good health. I did manage the care of my parents for 11 years, but that's been over for a few years now. I just consider *that* period a regular part of life.

That someone COULD have family, friends, and business interests you can trust 100% is miraculous to me - and I guess it is just my lessons or my karma. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I’m going to play Sinatra here,
Betrayals, I’ve had a few, but then again, too few to mention, I did what I had to do,..
Did you do it your way?

Old 07-25-2019, 05:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQzdAsjWGPg

Old 07-25-2019, 05:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Did you do it your way?
Yes, I never suffered silently. I told the betrayals exactly what I thought of them. In my case, they are both SILs. Not only that Karma is a ***** for them. However, I still talk to my brother, my husband still talks to his sister. But they are both not allowed to come to my house, the SILs.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:20 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Default Reading what Germaine wrote -

I've fought vision problems all my life and I'm very sensitive to people, however, I do stand up for myself.

At one time in my life, I was able to support my family and help my parents financially without it being a burden. Close family and I loved my parents so I'd do anything for them. I also love my siblings and we are close today. All our kids are close to each other too.

I had to think about the betrayals I mentioned. Would the other person think they betrayed me? Probably not. One had their own agenda. It was a work situation; he was jealous of me for some reason I can't even fathom and he wanted me out of there b/c he thought I made him look bad. Never did that but actions speak louder than words. He was not a producer at the time. He thought he still was. When he found out I had way better numbers, that was the beginning of the end.

The other was just a dare and it was basically to make fun of an innocent girl (me) but it went too far.

Of course, I can remember it and I didn't use my voice. I was in unchartered waters and I should not have been where I was. So, I'm sure he felt didn't betray me but later on, I think he felt bad. Too late then.

They all laughed about it later on and then this guy told me 6 months later about the dare and I was just speechless. I was mortified. I could not find the words but cried when I got home. I told no one for many, many years but became very afraid of this person and worked on exiting the relationship which I did.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I've fought vision problems all my life and I'm very sensitive to people, however, I do stand up for myself.

At one time in my life, I was able to support my family and help my parents financially without it being a burden. Close family and I loved my parents so I'd do anything for them. I also love my siblings and we are close today. All our kids are close to each other too.

I had to think about the betrayals I mentioned. Would the other person think they betrayed me? Probably not. One had their own agenda. It was a work situation; he was jealous of me for some reason I can't even fathom and he wanted me out of there b/c he thought I made him look bad. Never did that but actions speak louder than words. He was not a producer at the time. He thought he still was. When he found out I had way better numbers, that was the beginning of the end.

The other was just a dare and it was basically to make fun of an innocent girl (me) but it went too far.

Of course, I can remember it and I didn't use my voice. I was in unchartered waters and I should not have been where I was. So, I'm sure he felt didn't betray me but later on, I think he felt bad. Too late then.

They all laughed about it later on and then this guy told me 6 months later about the dare and I was just speechless. I was mortified. I could not find the words but cried when I got home. I told no one for many, many years but became very afraid of this person and worked on exiting the relationship which I did.
Sounds like it was very traumatic! So sorry you had to go through that!

Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
To the people who say they have NEVER been betrayed: You must live in a vacuum - there is no possible way I can believe this - I think it's just an attempt to brag and say you are perfect and your life has been perfect and that is B.S.
Nonsense. My life has been FAR from perfect and I made lots of mistakes. Nothing to brag about, that is for sure. But that does not mean that there must have been a betrayal in my past.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
In the office ? most of my back pain can be attributed to to the knife attacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement