Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Susiederkins,

I thought a lot of your comments were pretty good, but I would definitely take issue with a couple of them.

I was actually on the pc and found this post because my 7 year old wants to join boy scouts, but I can't seem to find a troop that isn't controlled by the church. That was very disapointing and it rather upsets me that one religion feels that it can take over something such as scouts, which should be for everyone.[/quote]I'm sorry, but if you "can't find a troop that isn't controlled by the church," whose fault is that? The Church's? It's not as if the BSA issues charters only to the LDS Church here in Utah. Why hasn't your church started a troop? Why haven't the non-LDS residents of your area started a troop? The fact that the LDS Church does have a lot of Boy Scout troops here in Utah is not the problem.

Quote:
As for places to live. Park City is very nice and more liberal then most of the state.. but if you work in the valley you will take the chance of the 80 being closed in the winter, you'll have tons of snow, and it's more expensive to live there.
The chances of I-80 being closed in the winter are pretty remote. My sister lives in Holladay and teaches school in Park City. She has made the commute every day for over 20 years. She can count on one hand the number of times she has had to call in to work and say she couldn't make it because of the road conditions. Sure there have been a few scary commutes, but as for I-80 actually being closed, that seldom happens.

Quote:
The school board just split and if you ask me, you want to be in the Sandy, Draper, Cottonwood heights area if you can't afford Sugar house or Park City.
I'm not sure exactly what you are considering to be "Sugar House," but what I consider to be Sugar House (that's where I grew up) is less pricey and less desirable than Cottonwood Heights, where I now live. Yeah, if you're considering the Princeton, Harvard, Yale area to be Sugar House, then your comment would stand, but that's not Sugar House in my opinion.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
i don't think i necessarily take offense to the boy scout comment, but mostly because i know that there are other organizations that sponsor the troops, even in utah, and because i know that in most areas of the country, sponsorship generally falls within the ranks of the religious majority. back east, you won't find as many troops sponsored by mormons per capita, but you will find a lot of catholic-sponsored troops. heck, you can even find vfw-sponsored troops, american legion-sponsored troops, moose lodge-sponsored troops, etc...

so i basically see this as just a claim made without realizing that the mormons don't actually have a stranglehold on the scouting program (though they are one of the bigger sponsoring groups).

Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM

63 posts, read 284,916 times
I loved Brigham City when I lived there for a few months. It is gorgeous, a nice small-town feel but not too terribly far from Ogden or Salt Lake City. There was a big LDS following but also a big Catholic following, and both groups were equally nice. I'm from the south where people are known for being nice but everyone in Brigham City was great. It was on our list until we realized we can't stand snow, but if you can stomach winter you should check it out. GL!!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM

401 posts, read 855,526 times
Thanks for the info.

I have been looking into the Layton and Draper areas.
I would be open to others, but my wife probably want an area that received less snow, as opposed to more. As for the boys and I, we would not care as long as we were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I loved Brigham City when I lived there for a few months. It is gorgeous, a nice small-town feel but not too terribly far from Ogden or Salt Lake City. There was a big LDS following but also a big Catholic following, and both groups were equally nice. I'm from the south where people are known for being nice but everyone in Brigham City was great. It was on our list until we realized we can't stand snow, but if you can stomach winter you should check it out. GL!!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:49 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
The LDS Church is, in fact, the very largest single financial sponsor of the Boy Scouts of America. I have been a scout leader and while our ward's troop was very welcoming of boys who were non church members, I can understand why someone would seek to join a troop sponsored by someone else. There is considerable "correlation" between Boy Scout activities and church activities. For example, the weekly scouting activities are always discussed during both Priesthood meetings and during Young Men's meetings on weekdays. If a boy doesn't come to church it would be very easy for him to not get the latest word about what the scout troop is doing. In addition to that, there is the important issue of "camraderie". If all the other boys go to church and a boy who is a non-member only shows up for scout meetings than he inevitably is going to miss out on chances to make friends.

I suspect this is a problem whenever any church sponsors a Boy Scout troop. If you don't belong to the church, you inevitably are going to miss out. Personally, I wish the Boy Scouts were independent of churches for this very reason. However, the situation is what it is. If you don't know of a non-LDS troop for your son to join you can always call the Boy Scout Council Office in your area (There are at least six in Utah all heavily staffed). They'll give you a list of every troop in the state if you want.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Back home, the Boy Scout Troops were mainly affiliated with a church or school.
If the school and church parishes did not have enough interest, then the children of that school/church parish would have to join another (as, well as the normal starting to make new friends).

Old 06-02-2009, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,826 times
Katspur,

My father in law lives in Park City and works in Salt Lake and I know that he had difficulty several times just last winter due to the road conditions on the 80. It was closed several times and frankly, just because it's not "closed" doesn't mean that the conditions are generally safe, especially for someone that has lived in Florida and is not used to driving in heavy snow or on icy roads.

As for the boyscouts. I have no issues with my son being friends with LDS children or him going into a Mormon church to attend his scout meetings. My issue is the way the church combines scouting with church activities. I don't believe it should be allowed that scouting functions take place during church activities. As another poster stated and several people I've spoken to have confirmed, if your son is not LDS he will be left out of most of the scouting functions because they take place during other church functions.

Perhaps I have a broader view of the "Sugarhouse" area then you do. But last year when my husband and I were home shopping we were met with pretty tree lined streets, cute yet small and older homes, most of them remodeled quite well, and astoundingly high asking prices on everything. I have to say that Cottonwood Heights is a beautiful area and I wasn't implying that your childhood home is more desirable then your current.. mearly that price/sqft, in my experience, is more expensive in Sugarhouse.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susiederkins View Post
Katspur,

My father in law lives in Park City and works in Salt Lake and I know that he had difficulty several times just last winter due to the road conditions on the 80. It was closed several times and frankly, just because it's not "closed" doesn't mean that the conditions are generally safe, especially for someone that has lived in Florida and is not used to driving in heavy snow or on icy roads.

As for the boyscouts. I have no issues with my son being friends with LDS children or him going into a Mormon church to attend his scout meetings. My issue is the way the church combines scouting with church activities. I don't believe it should be allowed that scouting functions take place during church activities. As another poster stated and several people I've spoken to have confirmed, if your son is not LDS he will be left out of most of the scouting functions because they take place during other church functions.

Perhaps I have a broader view of the "Sugarhouse" area then you do. But last year when my husband and I were home shopping we were met with pretty tree lined streets, cute yet small and older homes, most of them remodeled quite well, and astoundingly high asking prices on everything. I have to say that Cottonwood Heights is a beautiful area and I wasn't implying that your childhood home is more desirable then your current.. mearly that price/sqft, in my experience, is more expensive in Sugarhouse.
i'm not really sure how the scouting thing would be a problem if it is during church activities. i'll admit that it has been a while since i was in young men/scouting, but our scouting activities, while on the same day as young women meetings (scouting pretty much was our young men program), were held separately and never really had anything to do with the other groups in the building.

we came, did our thing, and either left, or hung out afterward. if we hung out afterward, it was usually playing basketball in the gym, and everyone was invited.

granted, things could be different where you are, but i don't see that scout meetings being held at the same time and place as others inherently causes problems.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susiederkins View Post
Granted, for someone who is not used to driving in the snow, it would NOT be a good commute. I would personally be a nervous wreck driving it in the winter. But seriously, my sister just puts her Nissan into 4-wheel drive and makes the drive every day.

Quote:
Well, our experience must be different, then, because my husband was a Scout Master for years and this was never the case. I know that scout meetings are often held at LDS Church buildings, but when you say "during church activities," I guess I just don't know what you mean. There are never scouting activites on Sundays, so I'm genuinely confused.

Quote:
No problem. I didn't take offense or anything like that. To me, Sugarhouse would extend from roughly 7th East to 13th East and from 27th South to 17th South. I would not like to live in that area myself, but then I just prefer newer homes. I actually lived in the Highland Park area which is just southeast of what I would call Sugarhouse. My husband and I lived between 17th and 18th East on Hartford Avenue for a brief time and while that is considered by many to be one of the best locations in the city, we hated it there. We've been in Cottonwood Heights for 26 years now and love it.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM

Are the homes in Cottonwood Heights new or old and expensive or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Granted, for someone who is not used to driving in the snow, it would NOT be a good commute. I would personally be a nervous wreck driving it in the winter. But seriously, my sister just puts her Nissan into 4-wheel drive and makes the drive every day.

Well, our experience must be different, then, because my husband was a Scout Master for years and this was never the case. I know that scout meetings are often held at LDS Church buildings, but when you say "during church activities," I guess I just don't know what you mean. There are never scouting activites on Sundays, so I'm genuinely confused.

No problem. I didn't take offense or anything like that. To me, Sugarhouse would extend from roughly 7th East to 13th East and from 27th South to 17th South. I would not like to live in that area myself, but then I just prefer newer homes. I actually lived in the Highland Park area which is just southeast of what I would call Sugarhouse. My husband and I lived between 17th and 18th East on Hartford Avenue for a brief time and while that is considered by many to be one of the best locations in the city, we hated it there. We've been in Cottonwood Heights for 26 years now and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah