Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I just stumbled upon The Paris Architect. I was looking online at the ebooks at my library for something else and that was the first one that showed in the new ebooks section. I loved the cover so I decided to read the description. I am so glad I did. There were times I had to actually put it down because of how emotional parts were for me. This is his first novel, and I think he did a good job of it. I could see it being made into a movie.

ETA: I hope you all enjoy it!!
Me too because i have to wait two weeks for it to come back or be returned rather .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,884 times
Would The Emporer's Children be good for a book club (& if so, is there much "bad" language in it? they have a problem with that)?

Last night I started, & got a third through, Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. I was hoping it would be good for book club, but in the first 30 pages there are 3 really "bad" words...they come up before you're invested in the book, so I don't think they'll go for it.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I'm almost done with my current book so I checked out The Making of Anne of Boleyn. I've always been fascinated with the women involved in the British monarchy (as long as it isn't current), so I'm looking forward to it.

But after 1Q84 I vow to stop reading if I am not enjoying it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Think & Grow Rich......
by Napoleon Hill

Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm almost done with my current book so I checked out The Making of Anne of Boleyn. I've always been fascinated with the women involved in the British monarchy (as long as it isn't current), so I'm looking forward to it.

But after 1Q84 I vow to stop reading if I am not enjoying it.
I share your interest in women in monarchies, and my recent readings -- mentioned here ad nauseum, about Henry VIII's wives has led me to keep my eyes open for others. I am interested to know what you think after reading this one. Anne is portrayed as quite the schemer in the other works I've read.

Another I've recently read about is related to the French monarchy, reviewed well by a recent new friend/author I've "met" online through my sister: Erika Robuck. She wrote this review (in case you decide you want to branch out):
GIRL ON THE GOLDEN COIN

Old 02-20-2014, 03:36 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Pssssst. Don't move or bat an eye. Just look natural. It is imperative that this does not leak out. Please don't share it with anyone:

I'm reading Zombie Titanic by Joel Snape. OMG!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availables View Post
"A Brief history of Time", by Stephen Hawking. This is the 3rd book I read of '100 books to read in a lifetime'... not sure if i can finish the 100s books.
I got the list from amazon.
I wish that was in a list format. I guess I'll just have to create my own. It looks like I haven't read too many of the books on it yet.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Pssssst. Don't move or bat an eye. Just look natural. It is imperative that this does not leak out. Please don't share it with anyone:

We've got your back.

If we tell on you...... you could tell on us.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

OMG, ha.

I sort of felt the same way when I admit to reading Maeve Binchy or Dean Koonzt et al but hey, a fun read is a fun read so keep it real.

I am currently reading Albert Camus The Plague.

No, really.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availables View Post
"A Brief history of Time", by Stephen Hawking. This is the 3rd book I read of '100 books to read in a lifetime'... not sure if i can finish the 100s books.
I got the list from amazon.

Oh yay!!!! More books to add to the thousands I can't get too.....

I was happy that I had read quite a few.... next thing you know I'm on the list in the 300 range still adding books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books