Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 10:48 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I can't suspend (my) reality enough to read it
Is this because the characters are bees? The idea of reading stuff like Animal Farm, Watership Down, etc., just does not apeal to be because I can't get beyond the animal part. This is since I've become an adult of course considering I loved Charlotte's Web when I was a kid. I just don't have the slightest desire to even start them with all the great things I hear about them. To me, they might be what to someone else nails on the chalkboard are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 10:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Is this because the characters are bees? The idea of reading stuff like Animal Farm, Watership Down, etc., just does not apeal to be because I can't get beyond the animal part. This is since I've become an adult of course considering I loved Charlotte's Web when I was a kid. I just don't have the slightest desire to even start them with all the great things I hear about them. To me, they might be what to someone else nails on the chalkboard are.
Hahaha!

I like dialogue.
Bees can't talk (at least not in a language that I understand).
Therefore? Not my reality.

But my inability to suspend reality goes further than animals. It's the reason that I can't read Harry Potter or dystopia stories or... the list goes on and on... and on.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Hahaha!

I like dialogue.
Bees can't talk (at least not in a language that I understand).
Therefore? Not my reality.

But my inability to suspend reality goes further than animals. It's the reason that I can't read Harry Potter or dystopia stories or... the list goes on and on... and on.
I guess mine only goes as far as animals and other non-human stuff (like vampires and werewolves, even though I read the whole Twilight series which was time I will never get back). I liked Harry Potter (yes there was a werewolf in there and other stuff in it) and some dystopian stuff I've read. I guess I can suspend it for humans if I enjoy the story and/or the writing.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Okay, so, I haven't even read a dozen pages yet of Plainsong and I'M IN LOVE! If all of his books are anything like the first 10 pages of this one, sigh..., I'm a happy girl.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:28 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Okay, so, I haven't even read a dozen pages yet of Plainsong and I'M IN LOVE! If all of his books are anything like the first 10 pages of this one, sigh..., I'm a happy girl.
Oh they certainly are dawn sad that we will never get another book to read from him . at least he left us with good memories

I am currently reading "The Beautiful Cigar Girl " true story and it involved edgar allen poe and a few other notables from history so far it is really good .

Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
I'm reading a biography of Bob Hope, entitled "Hope".

Thus far, very, very good. The author did an excellent job in describing the early vaudeville days and the state of things when Leslie Townes Hope began his career, mainly as a straight man in a duo-dance act. I had not known, for instance, that vaudeville was first dealt a blow by the rise of Broadway theaters (and by gosh there were a lot back then), followed by the advent of movies with sound (talkies, they were called).

Anyway, if one remembers Bob (as I sure do), you may want to pick it up.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:30 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Away by Amy Bloom

The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman

A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain by Adrianne Harun

Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millet

A Cry From the Dust by Carrie Stuart Parks
I got the above books last week and loved A Man Came Out of a Door... but took the rest back today.
Couldn't get interested in any of them.

Picked up A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman; A Sudden Light by Garth Stein and A Wolf Called Romeo by Nick Jans.

The Wolf book is non-fiction about a wolf that hung around Juneau, Alaska for 6 years and was somewhat friendly to dogs and people. It at least has some good pictures.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:40 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
I finished Alibi Man by Hoag last night. Easy read. Crime mystery centering around polo and wealthy people mainly.

Now I have to decide whether I'm ready to delve into another true crime novel, or stick with something lighter. I grabbed a mystery off of the library shelf today by Alan Bradley. Never heard of him before.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:09 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,553,512 times
Embattled Rebel: Jefferson Davis as Commander in Chief (James M. McPherson)

Good read, comes as advertised. The author sticks to Davis solely in his capacity as a Commander in Chief.. Fast paced read, seemed geared to ordinary fans of American history like myself. (Book doesn't go into minutiae that would be catered to more hard-core Civil War tactical buffs). The book seemed objective (even tho the author admits to being a partisan Lincoln fan); I learned a lot, in a hurry. Barnes & Noble has it on their shelves..

Old 12-10-2014, 04:14 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Killing Patton - Bill O'Reilly. Fascinating read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books