Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times

Advertisements

I am reading "Death in Four Courses," the second in a new series based in Key West. Easy reads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
"Now is the Time to Open your Heart" by Alice Walker. This is the first book by her I have read. I'm only into about chapter 3 or 4 so I can't really say if I like it. So far it's OK.
You must be one of a select few that didn't read "The Color Purple"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Totally off-topic, but I wanted to tell you that I absolutely LOVE your state. We went to Portland first. We spent two days there but could have easily spent a full week. The port area was amazing! Downtown was so vibrant. Just a fabulous city. Then we went to Ogunquit, which could have been tacky-touristy, but it wasn't! It was artsy and funky and just incredible. We're definitely going back to Maine sometime to explore some more. When we get to Bangor, I'll knock on your door!
Ditto for me on that, New Dawn. My personal favorites were Thomaston and Skowhegan, but Portland WAS mighty fine, indeed.

As for reading, there seems to be any number of things I can find to avoid actually sitting down and concentrating.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:00 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I took a detour and started Nelson Demille's The Book Case. This one is a beaut and it's funny. There is a lot of humorous internal monologues within the hero, a NYC police detective. Even the title is a bit of a play on words: The Book Case. A bookseller is killed when a huge bookcase falls on him.

From time to time I just have to read something funny because so many books are so deep and gut wrenching. The comedies tend to clear the palette like a nice small bowl of sherbert. Lime, please.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:02 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I am halfway throughhttp://www.amazon.com/Kabul-Beauty-School-American-Behind/dp/0812976738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347814657&sr=8-1&keywords=kabul+beauty+school
KABUL BEAUTY SCHOOL by Deborah Rodgriguez. I had not heard of it, but a friend gave it to me and said it was a really good read. It is nonfiction and I guess I am on a non fiction roll lately. It is indeed a very good read and needless to say, quite interesting.
I previously readhttp://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Robinsons-Disgrace-Private-Victorian/dp/1608199134/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347814765&sr=1-1&keywords=mrs+robinsons+disgrace+the+private+diar y+of+a+victorian+lady+by+kate+summerscale
MRS ROBINSON's DISGRACE which is a new book. I did mention it in a post about a week or two ago and I was surprised that no one jumped onto that one. It is a very interesting historical account of one of the first actual divorces in England (of the non royal variety)..
I really enjoyed Ella Minnow Pea thank you to the forum.
Thinking of what's up next, I am going to have to look for come thou tortoise.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I was reading Doc, but got sidetracked into reading The Season of Passage by Christopher Pike. It was written in the 50s and published in the 70s and it shows . It has to be one of the most bizarre books ever written but it is strangely compelling.

It is about the first US manned mission to Mars (the Soviets having gotten their first). It's got vampires and Martians in it. The US astronauts are the most hapless, hopeless bunch of fools you could ever meet, the way it is written. I mean, good horror (it's basically a horror story) is still kind of rational and this is not - unless I am missing something (I keep going back and rereading to see if I have done that -there is no way the characters as written, who so readily walk into danger, would ever be sent to Mars by any government, at any place or time. Even if you ignore the dated aspects of it, and the fact that the equipment is pretty 1950ish.

But as I said, it is still strangely, strangely compelling. I am almost through it. I have no idea whether to recommend it to anyone or not. Very weird book.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Can you give a quick review of Ella M? I've got it on my to read list and was wondering....

Thanks!
LFM,

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was really clever, and it was a quick read. I would think most readers or lovers of the English language would enjoy it.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
LFM,

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was really clever, and it was a quick read. I would think most readers or lovers of the English language would enjoy it.
Sounds perfect! Thanks!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I finished Gone Girl and was underwhelmed. The first 3/4 were interesting enough and fairly suspenseful, but then it felt like the author got lost and just burped out an ending. It seemed like the end was written by somebody else. Oh well.

Now onto the The Professor and the Madman. It's a non-fiction story about the man who did most of the work putting together Oxford English Dictionary. One of the main contributors was a man who was locked up in an asylum for the criminally insane and its about their relationship. Certainly sounds interesting.

ETA: I agree about Portland, Maine! I live in a medium sized Gulf Coast town and all I could think when I was in Portland was "Why doesn't our waterfront look like this?" Hope to return sometime.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
Game of Thrones.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 AM

220 posts, read 282,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yes! to the Garden of Good and Evil. Definitely agree.
And Yes! to All Over but the Shoutin'. What a FABULOUS book, by FAR my favorite of his "trilogy" (for lack of a better word). Midge, you'd love All Over but the Shoutin'. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't think it's a terrific (true) story.
I'll put it on my list! Thanks, DandJ and Mayvenne!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books