Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Just finished "Angelas Ashes"

Now reading:

"The Road"
"Anna Katerina"
If you liked Angela's Ashes you might want to read the book McCort wrote that is a bit of a continuation of Ashes. It's title is 'Tis." The title is a typical Irish remark and the book is a good read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'm reading another Cormac McCarthy book now (Blood Meridian) and think The Road might be next for me. I hope you'll let us know how you like it!
Both of the books are very good, Toosie. I preferred The Road but Blood Meridian is right up there with it. IMHO, anything that McCarthy writes is bound to be excellent. Oh how I wish I could write like he does.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I've borrowed a copy of Gone Girl and will give it a try. I don't know what it's about other than it's a thriller. Is it violent and/or gory? If so, I won't get far.
Gone Girl is not bloody and really not violent. It's more a psychological thriller. I must also add that I really enjoyed the first few pages and then I became bored with it. Neither one of the two main characters is anyone I would want as a friend. I simply did not like them and I didn't like the story.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I started listening to Samuel Beckett's "Molloy" on my Zune this morning while working out a quilted sleeve for my laptop, and it is an absolute delight! I don't think I could read it, with all the digressions and asides, but the reader is doing a great job of it.

Molloy, by Samuel Beckett

What a wonderful idea. My library has the Centenary edition, I'll put it on my list.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
"The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: how we lie to everyone-especially ourselves" by Dan Ariely. Behavioral economics & brain science fascinate me.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
"The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: how we lie to everyone-especially ourselves" by Dan Ariely. Behavioral economics & brain science fascinate me.
Thank you for the suggestion. I read and thoroughly enjoyed/loved his other book PREDICTABLY IRRATIONAL It was excellent..Amazon.com: Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions (9780061353246): Dan Ariely: Books
I think I had reco mmended it way back when on these forums as well. He has a great way of telling the story and explaining it.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 AM

220 posts, read 282,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I haven't read any reviews of the book but, when JTUR mentioned it, I wondered how Larson portrayed some of Dodd's ingrained attitudes and his Nazi contact's impressions of him. I also wondered if it reads like a biography or not. Might have to add this to my ever-expanding to-read pile.
Re: In The Garden of Beasts, I thought Larson was pretty fair towards all characters, not inserting his own opinions but merely portraying the opinions of Dodd's contemporaries. I didn't know anything about Ambassador Dodd or his daughter before I read this book and I felt it was a pretty evenhanded telling of Dodd's time as ambassador. I enjoyed the book. I read Devil in the White City a few years ago and enjoyed it as well, but liked the parts about Burnham more than the parts about the serial killer. In Beasts, I liked it all equally. Beasts was definitely an engrossing book; I could sit for a few hours at a time and read it, which is not always the case for me with other books I read.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 AM

220 posts, read 282,608 times
I stayed up to the wee hours this morning finishing Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which is something I rarely do. It was so, so good! I think I read about half of the book yesterday! I love non-fiction that tells stories about a town or a region and the people who live there. Within the past year I read Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War by Tony Horwitz, which I also loved, and Midnight reminded me of that book, since they both had stories about different people who lived in the South. This is the first time I've lived in the South (and I don't count when I lived in Virginia because I lived so close to Washington DC it didn't really feel like the South.) I found I've enjoyed reading books about Southerners while I've lived here and this one definitely fit the bill! We only live 5 1/2 hours from Savannah and I can't wait to visit!

Does anyone have any recommendations of non-fiction books that read like Midnight? They don't have to be Southern-based, they just have to tell stories of people who live in a town or a region. Thanks!

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I'm leaning towards Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, which has been patiently waiting on my bookshelf for me to read it for quite some time now.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Gone Girl is not bloody and really not violent. It's more a psychological thriller. I must also add that I really enjoyed the first few pages and then I became bored with it. Neither one of the two main characters is anyone I would want as a friend. I simply did not like them and I didn't like the story.
I've actually had Gone Girl on my to read list. Maybe I'll keep it on the back burner.

I just finished "Favorite Wife" by Susan Ray Schmidt (which I just had to read, after reading Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer). Last night I started "On a Pale Horse" by Piers Anthony. I've had the Incarnations of Immortality series in my to read pile forever.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,301 times
Anyone read or reading Blindness by Jose Saramago? I am struggling with his style of writing. The pages and pages of one long paragraph and lack of "conversation" are making my eyes cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books