Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
What? You said that because I didn't get past the first 100 pages, didn't you? And because I didn't "get" that whole reason for the stilted communication thing and just hated its simplicity, right? You think I'm STOOPID??? I know that your post is completely directed at me!!!!

PS. For those of you who think my response was real, Tracy and I are friends on Facebook. I "like" and like her analysis of this book that I didn't bother finishing.
Hah!

I started this book a couple of months ago and put it down for the holidays - I think I'll pick it back up again and give it another whirl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
If you care at all about personal privacy, and you get at all dismayed/annoyed/confused in response to people "revealing all" online, it's a good book. I have a slight conspiracy-theorist tendency--not in the tinfoil hat realm, but I tend to see lots of "slippery slopes" we can all slide down. So I was interested in where this book takes things.
Dawn, you do reveal a lot on FB, so you might wanna pick it up again.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If you care at all about personal privacy, and you get at all dismayed/annoyed/confused in response to people "revealing all" online, it's a good book. I have a slight conspiracy-theorist tendency--not in the tinfoil hat realm, but I tend to see lots of "slippery slopes" we can all slide down. So I was interested in where this book takes things.
Dawn, you do reveal a lot on FB, so you might wanna pick it up again.
I do???? Seriously?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
Three at once. One about the current security state in America. Another about the history of the US Coast Guard. And a third, a fiction/mystery by one of my favorite mystery authors, Archer mayor.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:01 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Quote:
I do???? Seriously?
I could probably steal your identity if I really wanted to

Old 02-04-2014, 12:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
I could probably steal your identity if I really wanted to
You wouldn't want it. Phew!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Back to the audio books thing, I have only listened to 3 I think. One when hubby and I were dating and lived in two different parts of the state. It just made the drive less monotonous. The second time was when I was dying to read Son by Lois Lowry and didn't want to sit on a hold list for the actual book. That one I think I crocheted while I listened. Finally, the most recent one (this past weekend), I listened to a memoir while walking at the Y. The problem? I think I only got half the book. In any event, I generally cannot listen to audio books. I am too easily distracted. Squirrel!

I am currently reading Allegiant, the third in the Divergent trilogy. I was worried about reading it as I noticed on Amazon that the first 2 had an average rating of 4-1/2 stars and the 3rd had only 3 stars. I didn't read any reviews, but I have my own idea of why the rating dropped.

I also got sucked into the show Sherlock which has distracted me from reading. My niece loves it and got my sissy into it, so I figured if she managed that, I'd better give it a shot. I'm glad I did! I watched season 1 and wish I didn't have to work so I could instead sit around watching season 2.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
So many times in the book, I was reminded of encounters here on City-Data and on Facebook, especially with people getting overly sensitive to perceived insults and slights, and escalating emotionally in response.
Quote:
What? You said that because I didn't get past the first 100 pages, didn't you? And because I didn't "get" that whole reason for the stilted communication thing and just hated its simplicity, right? You think I'm STOOPID??? I know that your post is completely directed at me!!!!

PS. For those of you who think my response was real, Tracy and I are friends on Facebook. I "like" and like her analysis of this book that I didn't bother finishing.
You two are so cute together. You should start your own show... the Tracy Dawn Duet Sisters!

Started listening to "Inkheart," by Cornelia Funke this morning, while driving to my Tuesday sewing session in Monroe. Very cute YA story. Haven't heard anything fanciful, yet, but Goodreads has it in the Fantasy-YA genre.

Dropping "Philo of Alexandria," by Samuel Sandmel. I'd thought it was a translation of his writings, but find instead and academic interpretation of his writings. Not what I wanted.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM

560 posts, read 786,103 times
Default Mouth Noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It absolutely DOES make sense, and I have my own experiences to back it up. In fact, I have stopped listening to a number of books because the reader (I am the listener) did such a poor job of conveying the character I thought the author intended. (Worldly me, right? Okay, ASIDE from my super-inflated ego, when I am listening to the story, I get to form my own judgments. )

The big killer for me is when they make mouth noises. I am highly adverse to mouth noises (poor DH), and once listened to a woman reader obviously read with a dry mouth. I could actually hear her lips sticking to her teeth. I was tormented. (It didn't start until a few hours into the story.) I wanted to call the publishers and rant. Instead I just listened and made awful faces.

Well, you could wash your walls, I suppose.

For me, I knit, or crochet, or sew, cook, walk my dog. I am a diverse listener.
There are certain (mouth noises) that drive me positively insane. I don't know why. Moist lips, dry mouth, and the dreaded sibilant S! Good Golly Miss Molly it drives me nuts! First time I've ever disclosed this odd aversion.

Perhaps I can find a support group? Partly why I don't do books on tape.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Or Perish in the Attempt: Wilderness Medicine in the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Modern Dr. analyzes all of the sicknesses and cures which occurred during the expedition. Great read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books