Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM

796 posts, read 858,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
The term cracker never really bothered me; it just makes me hungry...love me some saltines.
Saltines and Sardines, or peanutbutter. Better than a banana Moon Pie and an RC cola!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Saltines and Sardines, or peanutbutter. Better than a banana Moon Pie and an RC cola!
Hahaha.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
The moral of this story is, don't violate code of conduct and work ethics and expect to keep sucking from the corporate teat.

She's not going to jail. She's not being fined. I do not see what all the fuss is about.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:01 PM

501 posts, read 800,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I was appalled. I think anybody who uses any term negatively to hurt someone should be boycotted. Paula did not do this.
I have been jailed in the 60's for participating in civil rights marches in N.C. and for marching against the Vietnam war in D.C.
I've entertained people of all races in my home.
I've dated black and Asian men.
My step daughters married a man from Puerto Rico and a man from Iran. I have mixed race grandchildren.
I've adopted 3 minority race children.
I've signed petitions and rallied against marriage inequality.
I am proud Paula Deen supporter.
Not sure what the race of your grandchildren or lovers have to do with anything, it does not absolve you from supporting a racist. I do not like it when someone downplays the amount of use on any racial slur. To say I only used it once and nevermore is absurd, if it was in your vocabulary to say it once, it was in your mind all along only to be repeated again. Now she basked in the idea that a wait staff at a restaurant were dressed as slaves and felt this would be a good idea to repeat at a wedding to "bring back memories of the old south." Those are some of the ideologies of a racist no more no less.

Last edited by scorpioqueen; 06-27-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM

501 posts, read 800,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Well blacks seem to only be offended when a white person refers to them with a word they use themselves. White people should be offended when a black person call's them redneck or cracker or any other word they say we don't like.
White people would be right to be offended by either word. As a Black person I would be offended if a White person called me that word because of all of the negativity that was associated with that word along with that long dark history of Whites and slavery. I am not one of those Black people who believe the N-word is "our" word and only "we" can use it. The word in itself is demeaning and offensive. But yet your argument that its okay for Blacks to call themselves this, sounds like an argument to justify your usage of the word towards Black people not one to remove it from your vocabulary.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno, I just thought of something, all these companies, who are media driven, and jumping on the band wagon to ruin Paula Deen's life, when she didn't even break any laws....well, guess what, she probably had a contract with them, and being she didn't break any laws, I'd turn around and sue all of the for breach of contract....!!!!!
There are morality clauses, I presume.
Morality, and conducting yourself in a way that does not bring disgrace to the corporation.

I think this is what her breach of contract was.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 PM

404 posts, read 385,496 times
I think if they're gonna go after Paula, they need to go after these rappers too. I mean we've all said or thought things we shouldn't have. I have little cousins that listen to a lot of rap and all you hear is N this and N that. Go after them next.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
In your eagerness to jump on Deen, you missed my point (in response to the poster's comment), which is that apparently one major retailer has retained her (so far). As Martha Stewart (another once-reviled maven who made a comeback) would say, reading comprehension is a good thing.
Oh, please. Martha had a LOT more sympathy from the public than does Deen. Martha did what many people in her position do: she did not hurt others by her callous insensitivity. Martha paid BIG TIME for her indiscretions. Deen will not be imprisoned. She will lose a bit of business, is all. She probably has more than a fortune invested and can live very well off of it, doing nothing more with her life. And, as many here say, she may bounce back.

Her apology sucked canal water, though. She was sorry for nothing she did, just that her income would take a hit. She's probably a narcissist.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
There's been much worse celeb scandals than this, & nowhere near as much media attention. Makes ya wonder......

Like the guy who is Elmo on Sesame Street molesting underage boys, & still winning an Emmy after it was publicized. Or Jay Z reportedly not allowing white people into his Brit party.
The whole thing with Paula Deen is purposely being blown out of proportion. How disgusting.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I take no sides in this great Paula Deen debate ... but people are offended by "Redneck" now? Better get Jeff Foxworthy on the phone!
Isn't that why the poster USED the word, "redneck", isn't it? If my memory serves me (and it's been a long day, so.....) a poster came on here and referred to Paula Deen's supporters as "rednecks". Oh....was she complimenting her supporters for their wisdom and compassion?

Actually, your post serves as an example of how words can become "outlawed/non-PC". It wasn't too many years ago that folks were saying the same thing about the "N" word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities