Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 07:23 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Sugar and caffeine, the stuff of life.

Heard a woman and her daughter were collecting berries somewhere around Lake Baikal and were attacked by a bear. She managed to fight it off (!!!) and the woman called her husband on the phone who came and got them but she didn't make it to the hospital. Her injuries were catastrophic.

Sad. Life isn't easy out there.

For the most part, they are minding their own business.
But once in a while something sets them off.

People (when in the wild) tend to forget that bears are still around, and venture too far.

Big mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:57 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
For the most part, they are minding their own business.
But once in a while something sets them off.

People (when in the wild) tend to forget that bears are still around, and venture too far.

Big mistake.
I posted this in the wrong thread. LOL!!

Old 07-18-2020, 04:29 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Can confirm iced coffee and ice cream make a decent way to start the day.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:25 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
No comments about the nazi's getting beat up by police outside the Rada? Turns out the Nazi's don't run the country at all, its the free elected parliament who gets to change laws. This is about modifying the language law which discriminated against Russian speakers. I hope it succeeds because I refuse to learn Ukrainian (gotta draw the line somewhere). If the nazis don't like it, they can move back to Ivano Frankivsk or whatever zapadno forest they came from.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Can confirm iced coffee and ice cream make a decent way to start the day.

I told you so.

Quote:
No comments about the nazi's getting beat up by police outside the Rada? Turns out the Nazi's don't run the country at all, its the free elected parliament who gets to change laws. This is about modifying the language law which discriminated against Russian speakers. I hope it succeeds because I refuse to learn Ukrainian (gotta draw the line somewhere). If the nazis don't like it, they can move back to Ivano Frankivsk or whatever zapadno forest they came from.

Who? What? Where?

Any links?

As far as I know, Max Buzhansky ( one of the deputies from the South-East) only TRIED to come up with the law, that would POSTPONE closing of Russian schools and forcing Russian-speaking children to be taught in Ukrainian language.

He basically asked for the same exclusion as Hungarian speakers have in the West of the country; their transition will be done in three years, supposedly.)
But Ukrainian-speakers ( Nazis in the midst of them, since I see the "Right Sector" flags there as well,) had a hysteria in front of Rada in response to this proposal.

Anyone can talk whatever language they like, except for Russian- speakers.

So this is what their hysteria looked like in front of Rada couple of days ago: (from 0:39.)
No one was arrested as far as I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwPgC5DtXNs

As for the proposed law?
Zelensky postponed the vote on it "till fall," after children will be already forced to go to Ukrainian schools, and Russian schools will be already closed.

I'm sure that in any other situation American gov. would be screaming to high heaven about the "violation of human rights," but definitely not here.

P.S. Oh, I see - the police tried to interfere when the "activists" were unloading the logs to set fire in front of the parliament.

The "activists" promised not to use them, but they've set the fire anyway.
And the proposal to POSTPONE the draconian law was not even discussed ( looking at hysteria that was going on in front of the parliament, apparently.. ,) so as I've said...

Last edited by erasure; 07-18-2020 at 07:21 PM..

Old 07-19-2020, 12:12 AM

577 posts, read 562,175 times
As an American who doesn't truly understand the social dynamics in Ukraine (yet I'm extremely hopeful for Ukraine), I'm curious why Russian-speaking Ukrainians would want to continue speaking Russian, given that Russia is invading Ukraine.

I'm assuming the answer is that speaking the Russian language has nothing to do with Russia itself, like Americans' speaking English has nothing to do with England?

I hope it's not a dumb question on my part, perhaps it probably is, but with Russia being such a threat to the world, I can't help but wonder if Ukrainians might actually want deliberately to switch over to speaking Ukrainian.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
As an American who doesn't truly understand the social dynamics in Ukraine (yet I'm extremely hopeful for Ukraine), I'm curious why Russian-speaking Ukrainians would want to continue speaking Russian, given that Russia is invading Ukraine.

I'm assuming the answer is that speaking the Russian language has nothing to do with Russia itself, like Americans' speaking English has nothing to do with England?
I hope it's not a dumb question on my part, perhaps it probably is, but with Russia being such a threat to the world, I can't help but wonder if Ukrainians might actually want deliberately to switch over to speaking Ukrainian.

Because most of Ukraine was part of Russia since 1600ies, and all the development ( be that science, literature or anything of value of the world class level) was happening through Russian language. Ukrainian is nothing more than a dialect of Russian. The situation is pretty much similar I guess with Bavarian dialect VS German HochDeutsch.

"Ukraine" ( or "Russia minor" as it used to be called,") was basically agrarian area for the most part, except for its Easternmost industrial part, that used to belong to "Russia proper."

So Ukrainian language is the language of the country bumpkins, while the language of the "city people" ( or any educated people) is Russian.

Hope this helps, even without getting into the subject of "Russia invading Ukraine."
It really does not.

At least not more, than America invades Ukraine.

Last edited by erasure; 07-19-2020 at 01:18 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 02:06 AM

750 posts, read 907,307 times
Quote:
Because most of Ukraine was part of Russia since 1600ies,
russian Empire, not russia
as India was part of British Empire

Quote:
and all the development ( be that science, literature or anything of value of the world class level) was happening through Russian language.
Shuck.
though not - this is a typical Russian imperialism, for which Russians are rightly hated by all neighboring countries.
Quote:
Ukrainian is nothing more than a dialect of Russian.
Nonsense again - Russian is a dialect of Bulgarian, so not a single Russian understands Ukrainian, but Ukrainians understand Poles, Czechs, Slovaks.

Quote:

"Ukraine" ( or "Russia minor" as it used to be called,") was basically agrarian area for the most part, except for its Easternmost industrial part, that used to belong to "Russia proper."
Lie.
The word Ukraine (like the country) appeared 600 years before the creation of Russia. But the Russian rewriters of history have invented their own version. But arithmetic cannot be fooled.

Quote:
So Ukrainian language is the language of the country bumpkins, while the language of the "city people" ( or any educated people) is Russian.
yes, there are differences between locals and immigrants - Russian immigrants in Ukraine have always settled in large cities, like Turks in Germany, Indians in England, Arabs in France, or Latinos in the United States.

Quote:
Hope this helps, even without getting into the subject of "Russia invading Ukraine."
It really does not.

At least not more, than America invades Ukraine.
it was a lesson of Russian fake news performed by an ordinary Kremlin troll

Old 07-19-2020, 02:12 AM

750 posts, read 907,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
to switch
Can the Welsh or Irish now "switch" to their language, throwing aside several hundred years of brutal discrimination?

Old 07-19-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
russian Empire, not russia
as India was part of British Empire

India had nothing to do with England.
Kiev was the first capital of Russia.
So keep on inventing stories.

Quote:
Shuck.
though not - this is a typical Russian imperialism, for which Russians are rightly hated by all neighboring countries.
Once I learned what Ukrainian nationalism looks like...

Quote:
Nonsense again - Russian is a dialect of Bulgarian, so not a single Russian understands Ukrainian, but Ukrainians understand Poles, Czechs, Slovaks.
Too funny.

Quote:
Lie.
The word Ukraine (like the country) appeared 600 years before the creation of Russia. But the Russian rewriters of history have invented their own version. But arithmetic cannot be fooled.
Truth to be told - of course Kiev appeared before Moscow.
And of course at that point both "Russians" and "Ukrainians" were speaking one and the same language, since they were part of the same country.

So technically speaking Russian should be the dialect of Ukrainian.
But since the capital moved from Kiev to Vladimir and then to Moscow, the further development of science and culture happened already through Russian, while "Ukraine" became the backwaters. (We all know what "Ukraine" means in Russian, don't we?

"The outskirts."

Then, of course it became Polish colony, until dear "Ukrainians" being suppressed by Polish Catholics, didn't ask for Russia's protection back in.. 1600ies I believe. Right, Wadym?

And that's where they stayed since then, until 1991 I believe.

Quote:
yes, there are differences between locals and immigrants - Russian immigrants in Ukraine have always settled in large cities, like Turks in Germany, Indians in England, Arabs in France, or Latinos in the United States.
Too funny yet again))

Quote:
it was a lesson of Russian fake news performed by an ordinary Kremlin troll
See hon, I even took time to comment on your insane rants, so there, there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe