Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 07:07 AM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Who do you think you are fooling with the lies and propanganda? The soldier who was killed was Dmytro Krasnohrud. A Ukrainian Marine born in Kharkov, lived in Donetsk when the war started. Nice to see you are admitting that eastern Ukraine is a NATO country now, a bit premature perhaps.

Shooting the medic, what a glorious revenge for your dead Russian heros. No doubt eastern Ukrainians are thrilled by this, probably another local killed by Russians.
"White master" with an Estonian passport got that, what was meant for him ..

https://colonelcassad.livejournal.com/6029397.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 11:07 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
^
Zimogor, this looks like fake to me.

Why would a BELORUSSIAN (and that's who Ilin was, in spite of his Estonian passport)) write any of that?

Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
As an American who doesn't truly understand the social dynamics in Ukraine (yet I'm extremely hopeful for Ukraine), I'm curious why Russian-speaking Ukrainians would want to continue speaking Russian, given that Russia is invading Ukraine.

I'm assuming the answer is that speaking the Russian language has nothing to do with Russia itself, like Americans' speaking English has nothing to do with England?

I hope it's not a dumb question on my part, perhaps it probably is, but with Russia being such a threat to the world, I can't help but wonder if Ukrainians might actually want deliberately to switch over to speaking Ukrainian.
Your assumption is pretty much correct. The answer is it depends on the person (isn't it always?). I know people from central, southern and eastern Ukraine. 90% of them speak Russian and 90% of them are very angry at Russia right now. Younger Ukrainians are more likely to be dual lingual and use Ukrainian in public, around friends, online, etc. Older ones are less likely to want to switch their native language for any reason. Its not like they feel hey I don't like Russia so I'm going to stop speaking my native language because its Russian. Current Russia isn't where they are from... they were part of the Soviet Union before. There is a connection to this below.

Contrary to what Russian propagandists may claim, nobody there gives a hoot which part of their country was under which empire before anyone living was alive. There are regional rivalries based on history but its not like they really care. There is a chunk of society there who do miss the soviet union and they are convinced current Russia can bring this back. Part of this is born of nostalgia, and part of it is from slick propaganda from Russia telling them how great it is now. This feeling doesn't relate to language that much though. Russian speakers are among those fighting against the Russians and there are Ukrainian speakers working on the Russian side of the war too (so its not just invaders, many fighters against Ukraine are from Ukraine). This is mostly an Eastern Ukrainian civil war because the east side was pretty split about which way they want their future alignment to be. It was fueled in part because the area is a corrupt rust belt of inefficient industries that needed subsidies from Russian energy to remain going concerns. Not so much anymore, but it was real not long ago.

And speaking of the world being changed, Russia isn't a threat to the world. Just a threat to their former Soviet republics, who they claim as subordinate. What makes them dangerous is they don't care about the consequences of their actions, where democratic states usually do since they are answerable to their own citizens' prosperity.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:23 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
^
Zimogor, this looks like fake to me.

Why would a BELORUSSIAN (and that's who Ilin was, in spite of his Estonian passport)) write any of that?
Because this is how Russian propaganda deals with reality. Their side killed and captured 2 Ukrainian soldiers who were Russian speakers from Donetsk and Belarus. This doesn't fit the mold that they are fighting Galacian nazis.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:47 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
As an American who doesn't truly understand the social dynamics in Ukraine (yet I'm extremely hopeful for Ukraine), I'm curious why Russian-speaking Ukrainians would want to continue speaking Russian, given that Russia is invading Ukraine.

I'm assuming the answer is that speaking the Russian language has nothing to do with Russia itself, like Americans' speaking English has nothing to do with England?

I hope it's not a dumb question on my part, perhaps it probably is, but with Russia being such a threat to the world, I can't help but wonder if Ukrainians might actually want deliberately to switch over to speaking Ukrainian.
Russia a threat to the world? last I saw, it was US troops and missiles wrecking havoc everywhere.

Tell me this, in the last 20 years, how many people in the world has the US killed? How many people in the world has Russia killed?

How many weapons has the US sold that has been used to kill? How many weapons has Russia sold that has been used to kill people?

Old 07-21-2020, 12:49 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Because this is how Russian propaganda deals with reality. Their side killed and captured 2 Ukrainian soldiers who were Russian speakers from Donetsk and Belarus. This doesn't fit the mold that they are fighting Galacian nazis.
What mold?

Everyone knows most cannot speak Ukrainian worth the damn, and many who claim they do actually speak a bastardized form of it.

Many Ukrainians speak Russia, pure and simple.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:13 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Russia a threat to the world? last I saw, it was US troops and missiles wrecking havoc everywhere.
Then you're blind.

Quote:
Tell me this, in the last 20 years, how many people in the world has the US killed? How many people in the world has Russia killed?
In the past 6 years, Russia has killed more people in the world. You have to go back further to even the score.

Quote:
How many weapons has the US sold that has been used to kill? How many weapons has Russia sold that has been used to kill people?
Russia has definitely provided more weapons that have killed people in the past 10 years. It's not even close.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:

DKM, I think I already explained my point of view, that the ONLY decent people in this whole situation were Zakhar(chenko), Givi and Motorola, and what they stood for.

The fact that Kremlin betrayed them is no surprise ( money above anything and everything,) and of course Kremlin (and all the admirers of Putin personally out there) will do whatever they can to twist and turn the situation ( or rather the perception of it,) to make Kremlin ( and current DNR leaders) look more justified in their actions, no matter what.

That's number one.
And number two - American covert actions ( i.e. American anti-Russian aggression) used the internal conflict in Ukraine for its own advantage, but I already pointed to what came as the result of it, and why.

Now talking about the GALICIAN Nazi - the "mold" is correct, since Ukrainian nationalism hails originally from that region.
That some of the Russian speakers from the Eastern part of Ukraine JOINED that cult (the ethnic Russian Andrej Biletsky made it possible,) doesn't change the fact that overwhelming majority of the South-Eastern Russian -speaking Ukrainians are NOT part of the nationalist anti-Russian movement.

They might not like the current Russian government, but they know very well where they CULTURALLY and historically belong to.
And it ain't America or EU.

With that being said, PART of Ukrainian speakers in the central/western parts of Ukraine are ready to join someone like Russian-speaking Sharij by now, but that's where the Ukrainian Nazi are at their worst, threatening the lives of these people.
Because in THEIR mind, no one dares to encroach (politically speaking) on THEIR turf - Western Ukraine in particular.

Last edited by erasure; 07-21-2020 at 07:59 PM..

Old 07-21-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Then you're blind.

In the past 6 years, Russia has killed more people in the world. You have to go back further to even the score.

Russia has definitely provided more weapons that have killed people in the past 10 years. It's not even close.

Even if it's true, the problem is - America INSTIGATES those conflicts, trying to undermine Russian power over and over again, but to no avail. And this leads to more and more victims.

So even if Russians "killed more people," ( according to you,) it happens because of covert actions of America.

So everyone has to decide for themselves who is better and who is worse.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Pay close attention DKM, who came to whom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2NeXrUgfco

When it comes to death and destruction Russia has a lot of catching up to do, a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe