Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 AM

47 posts, read 34,571 times

Advertisements

In countries like Nigeria you don't even have "Pan Nigeria" never mind "Pan African". The whole idea is a complete joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:02 AM

11 posts, read 10,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Neither is a Sub-Saharan race or culture but of course that doesn't get talk about as much.
What do you mean? Can you explain what is Sub-Saharan if not a part of Africa?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:50 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorMegaman View Post
Ragu is Japanese--since you didn't read the quote. I am African--just like an Asian American is Asian--or are you going to lecture me on how they aren't Asian either. You know, lots of Asian Americans have been here for generations--in some cases, longer than white people. As a result, they no longer can speak their native languages practice and they no longer know about their native cultures. They are still Asian and will never be called anything else--or consider themselves anything else. By your logic, they are not Asian because of all of that. Stop whitesplaining things to me. Just accept that you're wrong and move on.

More whitesplaining? Nice try. I've lived in West Africa and East Africa.

From Wikipedia:

Not necessarily derogatory, not a racial slur--perhaps only to the ears of white folks--who have never been to Africa and don't know any Africans. The real racial slur that Africans use towards Black diasporans would be Akata--and even the use of that word is disputed.

I never did trust tribal matches, given the way people move around all the time, I would take that with a grain of salt, were I you.

Twisting words? Whitesplaining? Come on. I keep explaining to you. The European component I have in my DNA is about as meaningless to me as your 1% of Ghanaian DNA--which may not even exist. Some Africans in Africa have European Ancestry -- Some are actually biracial, but they don't run around saying they are European. African Americans are African, just like Asian Americans are Asian. That is where their heritage lies and you cannot change that. Just accept that you're wrong, stop whitesplaining, get of your high horse and be human.
1. You can call yourself whatever you like but I consider you a black American.

2.where have you lived in West and East Africa and for how long?

3. Refer to videos post #208 thread "Why won't any African nations open their border for black Americans.

4. I've read enough of your post on genetics to know you are far from being faintly knowledgeable on the subject. I don't have enough time or patience to bring you up to speed.

5. Meaning is subjective nothing factual about it.

6. You don't know where your heritage lies "African heritage" doesn't exist.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to say that your whitesplaining and condescension here is unfunny, insulting and offensive. Its verging on bigotry. You really need to stop. YOU REALLY NEED TO STOP.

You can start your own thread and discuss whatever you like if you don't like what I'm discussing on the thread that I started. Either way doesn't matter to me I'm not going to change what I say not to offend ultra-sensitive individuals with thin skin.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Well, you're beginning to sound like a bigot when you sit on your high horse trying to proclaim who is and who is not African. It is not your place to say. Just sayin'.

Like I've stated you can identify yourself however you like it's a free country. I'm not sure why you keep entertaining a image of me up on a horse seriously it's starting to sound like a sick obcession. I've never been a slave overseer move on this isn't the antebellum south.

I've stated my opinion which you don't like, it is what it is that's my opinion which is black Americans aren't African if you consider that bigoted, I'm losing sleep over that.

That pretty much sums it up.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM

[quote=SuperiorMegaman;43378925]
Quote:

And what you "consider" doesn't matter to anyone at all. And how nice that you didn't offer any real rebuttal to anything I've said--just more word twisting and whitesplaining.

Nigeria for a year, Ethiopia for a year. Visited a professor who lived in Kenya for about two months.

Immigrants face challenges adapting to America. What is your point. Ghana and Sierra Leone allow Black people in the Diaspora to live in their countries. I think it is a step in the right direction.

You twisted my words around and then questioned my blackness because you didn't like how I characterized my own hair. I know more than you on the subject.

Nope, I am not part white, wouldn't be considered so any where in the world. End.

]

Actually it does. Its a general term. Black people just need to do more research and see where there heritage lies. Hint: its not in the American south.
1.If that was the case you wouldn't bother to respond.

2. Where in Nigeria and Kenya?

3.You're making this too much about you. Grow up! Why are my opinions so important to you?(Rhetorical question) Move on.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Bruce Lee was 25% German, so I guess he's not a true Asian right? Jerry Rawlings--the former president of Ghana, was biracial--half Scottish. He's not African, huh? I mean, he doesn't even have an African name, right? Ian Khama--the president of Botswana, too. I could go on and on...

Rural Ethiopia, Abuja, Nigeria and Lagos, Nairobi, Kenya...

But you keep saying "YOU'RE" (referring to me) are not African...
1. You're hung up on genetics. I am thinking primarily in terms of culture.

2. Cool

3. Fine I'll speak of it in general terms black Americans in my opinion aren't African.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
1. You're hung up on genetics. I am thinking primarily in terms of culture.

2. Cool

3. Fine I'll speak of it in general terms black Americans in my opinion aren't African.
This is the big DISCONNECT which invalidates Pan Africanism and the disconnect between Afro-Americans and Africans in many cases..A Nigerian friend explained to me that most of the world thinks in terms of ethnic and CULTURE differences FIRST...He said only Americans and South Africans think in terms of race FIRST.

In parts of the world where Blacks are marginalized because of their "blackness" thus "otherness" black identity is in the forefront of primary identity...

In majority black societies in Africa everyone is black so black means nothing and ethnic differences are the forefront of primary identity.

Americans are big into heritage and racial background as in African-American, Irish-American Italian-American.. People from the respective countries in Africa, Ireland, Italy are thinking they are all Americans why are they saying Italy, Ireland etc. ? In their mind there is nothing CULTURAL about them except being an American..

Because of the history of racism, discrimination and deliberate exclusion of blacks in America, not being seen as fellow Americans...A culture of opposition has developed to a degree in black america...The primary identity formation is one of race, based on what was done to blacks by others because of race..

This alienation causes some blacks to have a romantic identification with Africa and fall into Pan African ism
and Afro Centricism. They may feel a great distance and op positional between them and whites but fail to
realize that the sub-culture of opposition is still culturally American...

From a cultural standpoint, New World Blacks are a Western people with African isms embedded in their
various cultures, but not Africans...As one African told me, they have the PURE BLACK system of doing things.

Pan African ism fails to take into account what is shared by black people and what is NOT shared on a global scale..

Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
This is the big DISCONNECT which invalidates Pan Africanism and the disconnect between Afro-Americans and Africans in many cases..A Nigerian friend explained to me that most of the world thinks in terms of ethnic and CULTURE differences FIRST...He said only Americans and South Africans think in terms of race FIRST.

In parts of the world where Blacks are marginalized because of their "blackness" thus "otherness" black identity is in the forefront of primary identity...

In majority black societies in Africa everyone is black so black means nothing and ethnic differences are the forefront of primary identity.

Americans are big into heritage and racial background as in African-American, Irish-American Italian-American.. People from the respective countries in Africa, Ireland, Italy are thinking they are all Americans why are they saying Italy, Ireland etc. ? In their mind there is nothing CULTURAL about them except being an American..

Because of the history of racism, discrimination and deliberate exclusion of blacks in America, not being seen as fellow Americans...A culture of opposition has developed to a degree in black america...The primary identity formation is one of race, based on what was done to blacks by others because of race..

This alienation causes some blacks to have a romantic identification with Africa and fall into Pan African ism
and Afro Centricism. They may feel a great distance and op positional between them and whites but fail to
realize that the sub-culture of opposition is still culturally American...

From a cultural standpoint, New World Blacks are a Western people with African isms embedded in their
various cultures, but not Africans...As one African told me, they have the PURE BLACK system of doing things.

Pan African ism fails to take into account what is shared by black people and what is NOT shared on a global scale..
This

Old 03-17-2016, 01:49 PM

47 posts, read 34,571 times
Quote:
No, the idea that white people (IE western civilization) knows best and should be the nanny to Africa is the delusion. Africa was doing perfectly fine until the Europeans came around. Race has nothing to do with Pan Africanism. Read the rest of the thread. And educate yourself.
Pan Africanism has a lot to do with "race" and "race" is artfical nonsense developed in the west.

The sense of identity of people walking about in their countries isn't based on the western abstract idea of "race". The idea that some random American is a "brotha" to somebody he doesn't share much in common that lives thousands of miles away is a joke of the highest order.

People's sense of identity comes from language, ethnicity, culture etc and not the artificial western idea of black/blackness nor feeling like permanent victims of the white man.

You need to learn a lot man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa