Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,969,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm the OP and I would ask you to reconsider that the topic is actually complimentary of Kobe and not an insult.

The very concept of having a legacy means he is up in the lofty ranks of NBA players.

Lots of good discussions in this thread especially around where he might end up on the all-time scoring lists.

Back to working implies he took time off. No player has meant more to the NBA since Jordan. Duncan is 2nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Back to working implies he took time off. No player has meant more to the NBA since Jordan. Duncan is 2nd.
I can't help you if you won't even read the first post of the thread where I explained all of that AND backed it up with stats in the course of the thread.

If you want to grouse that my thread title could have been more descriptive or better worded then so be it.

I would say there have been many players that have contributed greatly to the league over the past 10 years or so. Dirk, Yao, Ginobli and others have expanded the game greatly to foreign markets.

I'd be more inclined to go with Kobe except for his faux rape incident which REALLY hurt the NBA at a time they were reeling from a thug image one of their biggest stars gets arrested. It's kinda like how Lebron had his "decision" which clobbered his N score. (see link)

Dirk now most marketable NBA player; LeBron, D-Wade out of top 10 - NBA - Sporting News

Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,969,505 times
Duration, Kobe wins without anyone even being close. Yao might have been for a few years. Dirk is now. James was for a few years as well but Kobe has been elite since his 2nd season.

If you want to include Kobe's rape case, why not include MJ's infamous gambling issues or his affairs? Difference, he didn't get caught.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Quote:
I can't help you if you won't even read the first post of the thread where I explained all of that AND backed it up with stats in the course of the thread.

If you want to grouse that my thread title could have been more descriptive or better worded then so be it.

I would say there have been many players that have contributed greatly to the league over the past 10 years or so. Dirk, Yao, Ginobli and others have expanded the game greatly to foreign markets.

I'd be more inclined to go with Kobe except for his faux rape incident which REALLY hurt the NBA at a time they were reeling from a thug image one of their biggest stars gets arrested. It's kinda like how Lebron had his "decision" which clobbered his N score. (see link)

Dirk now most marketable NBA player; LeBron, D-Wade out of top 10 - NBA - Sporting News
I really can't put much weight into these scores. Since the methodology isn't listed sounds like they just made them up out of thin air.
Vince Carter! The same for Gasol. Very bizarre list. 5 years too late.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I really can't put much weight into these scores. Since the methodology isn't listed sounds like they just made them up out of thin air.
Vince Carter! The same for Gasol. Very bizarre list. 5 years too late.
There are different ratings out there and it's hard to dig through them all. They are done for celebrities and are used by advertisers to target endorsements.

The link I provided was just an example and of course it's hard to find multi-year rankings and so for.

Unquestionably Kobe has been a fairly consistent marquee name in the NBA the past decade or so and he has recovered most if not all of his endorsements since the rape allegation.

Also, Kobe is wildly popular overseas and especially with younger fans.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,875 times
Quote:

Unquestionably Kobe has been a fairly consistent marquee name in the NBA the past decade or so and he has recovered most if not all of his endorsements since the rape allegation.
A large part of which he'll be handing right over to Vanessa....

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Duration, Kobe wins without anyone even being close. Yao might have been for a few years. Dirk is now. James was for a few years as well but Kobe has been elite since his 2nd season.

If you want to include Kobe's rape case, why not include MJ's infamous gambling issues or his affairs? Difference, he didn't get caught.
I agree with your first few sentences.

The reason I mention the rape case is because it cost Kobe a number of endorsements outright and suspended a few others....which mostly came back in 2 years but to this day I think it still costs him.

Surely you can understand why I am not mentioning the actions of other stars if it didn't cost them endorsements? (like Gilbert Arenas if you want me to name one)

Wow. Kobe only had $10mil in endorsements in 2011? Danggggg, wth?
2011 Fortunate 50 - SI.com

Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If you've been following the conversation you'd see that it wasn't at all about Kobe. It was about Jordan and Magic.
If you were following the conversation you would know it was actually about all 3...

It was stated that Kobe should be taken over Magic as the point guard. So the discussion of Jordan/Magic together and Jordan/Kobe together was being discussed.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times
Kareem had the skyhook, but Kobe has his fadeaway

Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
If you were following the conversation you would know it was actually about all 3...

It was stated that Kobe should be taken over Magic as the point guard. So the discussion of Jordan/Magic together and Jordan/Kobe together was being discussed.
If your were following my posts, you see that I clearly stated that Kobe and practically useless on a team that has Jordan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball