Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If your were following my posts, you see that I clearly stated that Kobe and practically useless on a team that has Jordan
I might be the minority opinion but I would play them together in a heart beat and then play a SF like Lebron or Pippen that can run the point. (Pippen is VERY proven in that role and was actually a beast defending Magic during their finals meeting for the Bulls first title. Pippen is a nightmare for PG's defensively.)

Jordan and Kobe would be a lethal inside (Jordan) outside (kobe) combo not to mention when the other would cut to the hoop when the other got doubled.

Heck, let me have Lebron at the 3 and have him run the offense.

Basically, if I make an all-time team I love the idea of having a roster packed with guys that are 7-8x or more all-defensive team. The scoring will take care of itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:59 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
If your were following my posts, you see that I clearly stated that Kobe and practically useless on a team that has Jordan
This is not twitter...

Not sure what is so hard about understanding that my response to you saying Jordan is a ball hog is not a referendum on ALL of your posts.

You singled out Jordan saying he is not a facilitator and is selfish. I pointed out that Kobe is more of one. That's all, simple and plain. I didnt say you said anything about Kobe. I was just making a point.

understand now?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Not sure I'd go that far. Playing them together isn't probably the best idea( except in certain stretches), but I think it's a bit extreme to say Kobe would be 'useless' if you have Jordan. Rather, if you're picking an all-time 12 man team, Kobe would be the back-up shooting guard.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
This is not twitter...

Not sure what is so hard about understanding that my response to you saying Jordan is a ball hog is not a referendum on ALL of your posts.

You singled out Jordan saying he is not a facilitator and is selfish. I pointed out that Kobe is more of one. That's all, simple and plain. I didnt say you said anything about Kobe. I was just making a point.

understand now?
First of all, calm down, follow the conversation. Secondly, I'm not knocking Jordan at all. I've been a die hard Jordan fan all my life and still to this day. I was saying that Jordan takes over s game for a purpose, there's a method to his madness; he puts his team on his shoulders. Kobe, on the other hand, will shoot his team out of a game. You follow me now?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
First of all, calm down, follow the conversation. Secondly, I'm not knocking Jordan at all. I've been a die hard Jordan fan all my life and still to this day. I was saying that Jordan takes over s game for a purpose, there's a method to his madness; he puts his team on his shoulders. Kobe, on the other hand, will shoot his team out of a game. You follow me now?

PLEASE... Explain to me how I was suppose to understand this as saying Jordan puts his team on his shoulders or that there is a method to Jordan's madness???

Quote:
I'm one of the biggest Jordan fans on the planet. And jordan was a score first kind of player and there are multiple accounts about Phil Jackson cursing him during timeouts for NOT passing the ball.

Can you even follow that statement as saying he carries his team? didnt think so...

Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:

PLEASE... Explain to me how I was suppose to understand this as saying Jordan puts his team on his shoulders or that there is a method to Jordan's madness???

Can you even follow that statement as saying he carries his team? didnt think so...
6 NBA Championships
6 time Finals MVP

I'm not wasting my time arguing with you.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 03-26-2012 at 11:17 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I might be the minority opinion but I would play them together in a heart beat...

Jordan and Kobe would be a lethal inside (Jordan) outside (kobe) combo not to mention when the other would cut to the hoop when the other got doubled.
I don't think the argument is that they CAN'T play together so much as it is that Magic & Jordan is a better combo than Kobe & Jordan.

Of course any of the greatest players combos would work. But the BEST all time TEAM would be comprised of players playing in their natural positions. Thus meaning Kobe would have to come off the bench since he is the definitely second to Jordan as a shooting guard.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I don't think the argument is that they CAN'T play together so much as it is that Magic & Jordan is a better combo than Kobe & Jordan.

Of course any of the greatest players combos would work. But the BEST all time TEAM would be comprised of players playing in their natural positions. Thus meaning Kobe would have to come off the bench since he is the definitely second to Jordan as a shooting guard.
I understand your points, perhaps I'm just biased in my years watching the Bulls run a decentralized offense with a SF bringing the ball up the court effectively. I've just seen way too many teams pass up a player they could have drafted or gotten in free agency because they weren't flexible enough to consider playing a pair of shooting guards together or like with Tim Duncan flexing him between PF and C and so forth.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I understand your points, perhaps I'm just biased in my years watching the Bulls run a decentralized offense with a SF bringing the ball up the court effectively. I've just seen way too many teams pass up a player they could have drafted or gotten in free agency because they weren't flexible enough to consider playing a pair of shooting guards together or like with Tim Duncan flexing him between PF and C and so forth.
You are absoutely right that more teams should consider decentralized offenses. The concept is definitely feasible for actual teams. And I'm all for having a big point so that PG, SG, & SF can all handle the ball.

The Bulls & Lakers were the greatest example of that when Ron Harper played the point for both. So I am partial to having big guards too because of the success they had. Plus its a huge advantage defensively. Length is something you cannot teach.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:

This, in a nutshell.

Quote:
s I'm just biased in my years watching the Bulls run a decentralized offense with a SF bringing the ball up the court effectively.
Pippen was listed at SF, but he was quite clearly playing a 'point guard' role as far as facilitating and setting up the Triangle. This is precisely why the PG spot in the Triangle offense was designed for spot-up shooters who could make teams pay for doubling Jordan and Pippen. Hence why John Paxson, B.J Armstrong, and Steve Kerr were utilized in that spot; they were all basically the same player in terms of their role. The only time they diverted from that model was when Harper was in the line-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball