Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ain't that the truth I suspect I know some of the answers, things learned from living in the south all my life, and knowing the character of the people here. Plain, simple, hard working, stubborn, prideful people. These people have a tremendous amount of common sense, can fix or figure out just about anything. People that can build a barn, fix a tractor in a middle of a field with a crescent wrench and a pair of water pumps (channel locks), slaughter a pig, birth a calf, you name it, they can do it, and have done it.

Though they are likely only a few left today, I have met elderly that have never been more than 50 miles from their place of birth, and if they have it was probably only because of their service in the military.

Away from their religion, these are the some of the finest people I have met. You have to know how to approach and talk to them. Asking permission to hunt on their land (posted no hunting) is usually successful, *_if_* they are approached in the right way. I suspect there isn't a single person not from the south that would be successful. If they say 'no' you didn't waste your time asking again, as it is futile, and insulting to them.

Did I mention "stubborn" I don't think anyone has any concept of what stubborn really is until experienced talking to or working with these people. And it carries over into their religion. I would recommend that no one discuss religion with them, unless you go to the very same church, and know you are on the same page they are on.
As one who served in South Carolina before returning to California, I have to agree with you. I did meet people who had never been more than 50 miles from their home and who thought Greenville, SC was too big.

To this I would add a belief by many that a Preacher is called by God and preaches God's word - training be damned. In my congregation 1 woman continually spoke out against me because I went to seminary, a totally unnecessary step to be a preacher. In fact in her mind it meant I sold out to the establishment. (A colleague visiting us one Sunday told her a rant that she was nothing but ignorant).

So why are they all so different? The culture, the feeling that others are outsiders and that education is not required to be a preacher, just the call from God.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
isn't that true.I call the small town my dad grew up in 'the cave'.when we pass it on the hwy,I say 'look,there's the entrance to THE CAVE'.LOL.he came out of it,but has stuck to,those small-town ideas all of his life,despite eventually moving to a larger town.(which was smart-the only places to work there then were those old sock mills,i.e.-low wages) but at least he got out of it.my gma died the most naive woman I have ever seen.the whole world was THAT TOWN,and that town and it's ideas only.what a narrow-minded way to live.

ps-feel better soon!
Sounds like Easley.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
How can you jump all over something you clearly do not understand. June is a very loving person but the love she expresses, with all due respect to June, is of this world and not of God and with her heart as it is would make God very happy if she would just remove the veil she has covering her sight.

Intellectual and Philosophocal, two tools of the evil one to blind the knowledgeable.

I ask this,does anyone know all their is to know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Get off your self-righteous ignorance and stop judging who has or does not have God's love. God's love is the ONLY kind available . . . and you cannot love at all without loving God. God IS LOVE! Your problems with lust in the name of love have corrupted your understanding of love and to accuse June of that kind of love is unconscionable!
Amen Mystic!! Very well said. Robin I'm afraid your idea of love is very one-sided.....what Mystic said is the truth, ALL love comes from God. Maybe June doesn't know God, but she knows how to express the love that He put inside of her, whether she acknowledges where that love comes from is beside the point. ALL love is from God, lust has nothing to do with what we're talking about here.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
Indeed;if all love wasn't from God, then only Christians would be able to reproduce and have babies and be blessed and such.But we see that isn't the case at all...God loves everyone.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Sounds like Easley.
not quite

Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June tries. Shie is who she is...

She's "just June."
hey June, I understand that you made a little trip and spent a week in of all places the "Bible Belt". My condolences to you, I know a cure for it, go and buy yourself a sixpack of Smithwick and sit out on the roof and stargaze for a while or even participate in one of those pagan ceremonies, that will be a sure cure for it. .......

Now June, I want you to know that there are some people who have no sense of humor and want to hide behind a smiley face....... I just received an anonymous rep point and comment and I quote;[sadly, people like you are too limited to understand that the region that makes up the Bible Belt is actually the best place in the country to live...] Now first off the anonymous individual hasn't got enough guts to sign their name to it and has absolutely no idea what kind of person I am, I have lived in the Bible Belt and still have relatives living there, however they were there long before Christianity ever entered that area and forcibly stole the land that my ancestors lived on, so I would not say that was the best place in the country to live, and that's my opinion, however I would like to thank that individual for the rep point...

Last edited by ptsum; 01-07-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Let June start off by saying that she in no possible way means any disrespect to anyone's denominational beliefs or mindset. Likewise, let it be said that June tends to regard herself as a fairly open minded person who tends to strive quite hard to understand and accept where others are coming from; be it culturally (religiously denominational) or otherwise.

June just spent a week in the Bible Belt. As the people she was spending her visit with are Christians, June naturally went to church with them come Sunday morning. (June had only attended a very few church services up north, at home, prior to this, in being friends with two ministers...)

June's question is this: How does one account for the vast divide that would clearly seem to exist across demographics? Why such a difference in mindset in the bible belt as opposed to here, up north? June actually spent a good amount of time talking with the pastor who ran the service; June is someone who wishes to understand other's beliefs and how they apply to real life. --And yet, June is confused as regards what the northern ministers would have to say versus what she experienced in the south. (And NO disrespect is meant or intended here to anyone who resides in the south. Truly!)

Perhaps what June is really asking is this: If you all really have ONE God, then what accounts for such vast variations in terms of your understanding of him, and how do you all reconcile that? June has clearly been on this forum long enough to know that such divides exist, but she is curious as to what other's responses would be...Perhaps as being a "northern intellectual atheist" she was completely unprepared for what she experienced, overall, but still has come away wondering: How do YOU all reconcile the differences that exist, and how do they matter and translate into one's real life as a Christian?

Thanks to all (in advance) who respond here.

Take gentle helpful care.

All physical bodies are made up of many and varied parts my friend. Different Christians just make up the different parts of the body of Christ

In addition, think of it this way, suppose a mother has 12 children. Most who know her would report her to be a good and loving mother. But I can almost gaurantee you, her 12 different children will all see her somewhat differently from one another. One or two might even disagree that she is a "good and loving mother" at all.

We've all seen this happen in families, right? One child will revere the mother and another has no respect for her whatsoever. I suspect this is because people are complicated and come with their own individual personalities, issues and perspectives based on their individual experiences with the mother and life itself. I hope this helps answer your question

Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Sounds like Easley.
My guess was Pelzer, Iva, maybe Grey Court or Ninety Six. Easley too big.

I spent time in all these places install networks, and your lucky if you don't have to drive to the next town to get lunch, as some don't even have a diner. They also know you ain't from there, for the simple reason they know everyone and they don't know you.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
My guess was Pelzer, Iva, maybe Grey Court or Ninety Six.
nope.

Quote:
I spent time in all these places install networks, and your lucky if you don't have to drive to the next town to get lunch, as some don't even have a diner. They also know you ain't from there, for the simple reason they know everyone and they don't know you.
yep.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think the real question is why has others changed over time. The bible belt as its called really hasn't changed that much.I would say that the tradtitions and culture has changed more in other areas than the bible belt also.Same story has in times past like the 20's really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.