U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
 
Location: San Diego
16,173 posts, read 11,465,712 times
Reputation: 5453
Knowing multiple languages is a plus for any person, it just strikes me as funny that we have to learn a new language because of the large amount of people that aren't supposed to be here now dictate it because of sheer numbers.
The second language of money is Chinese in the US, the language of poverty is Spanish in our local economy based on averages. I'm not sure which one would make most sense for our children to learn for job prospects and money.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,641 posts, read 2,743,844 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Absolutely. And Spanish would look ESPECIALLY good on a pro illegal apologiser/sympathizer/enabler's resume, wouldn't it? It could open a lot of pro illegal doors.
Very true indeed!!! Hell, I speak 3 languages fluently and one half assed. Of course, I didn't learn them because I love some criminals.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 3,182,001 times
Reputation: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Knowing multiple languages is a plus for any person, it just strikes me as funny that we have to learn a new language because of the large amount of people that aren't supposed to be here now dictate it because of sheer numbers.
The second language of money is Chinese in the US, the language of poverty is Spanish in our local economy based on averages. I'm not sure which one would make most sense for our children to learn for job prospects and money.
I would agree learning Chinese would be very important. However, with rising demographics of Hispanics, it would be relevant for somebody going into marketing to learn Spanish. Just simply because of the increasing number of legal immigrants. I think that the old model of forgetting your old language is going to be extinct (with the exception of some very small communities). Many second and third generation Hispanic Americans know Spanish. Many second and third generation Koreans speak Korean (It was in little Korea all day today...and little Vietnam the day before...It was kind of cool seeing the majority of signs in Walnut, CA, Diamond Bar, CA, Artesia, CA, Westminster, CA, and to a small extent Chino Hills, CA in Vietnamese, Korean, Mandarian, and some Japanese).

So legal Hispanics still speak Spanish at home and within their enclave. I don't know if it will stay that way, but I think that the close proximity and cultural past with Mexico will ensure this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 3,182,001 times
Reputation: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Very true indeed!!! Hell, I speak 3 languages fluently and one half assed. Of course, I didn't learn them because I love some criminals.
No you don't.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,641 posts, read 2,743,844 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I would agree learning Chinese would be very important. However, with rising demographics of Hispanics, it would be relevant for somebody going into marketing to learn Spanish. Just simply because of the increasing number of legal immigrants. I think that the old model of forgetting your old language is going to be extinct (with the exception of some very small communities). Many second and third generation Hispanic Americans know Spanish. Many second and third generation Koreans speak Korean (It was in little Korea all day today...and little Vietnam the day before...It was kind of cool seeing the majority of signs in Walnut, CA, Diamond Bar, CA, Artesia, CA, Westminster, CA, and to a small extent Chino Hills, CA in Vietnamese, Korean, Mandarian, and some Japanese).

So legal Hispanics still speak Spanish at home and within their enclave. I don't know if it will stay that way, but I think that the close proximity and cultural past with Mexico will ensure this.
yes, you are right about the fact that far too many Hispanics refuse to assimilate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:44 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 3,182,001 times
Reputation: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
yes, you are right about the fact that far too many Hispanics refuse to assimilate.
That's not even close to what I'm saying.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 24,193,564 times
Reputation: 3611
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I would agree learning Chinese would be very important. However, with rising demographics of Hispanics, it would be relevant for somebody going into marketing to learn Spanish. Just simply because of the increasing number of legal immigrants. I think that the old model of forgetting your old language is going to be extinct (with the exception of some very small communities). Many second and third generation Hispanic Americans know Spanish. Many second and third generation Koreans speak Korean (It was in little Korea all day today...and little Vietnam the day before...It was kind of cool seeing the majority of signs in Walnut, CA, Diamond Bar, CA, Artesia, CA, Westminster, CA, and to a small extent Chino Hills, CA in Vietnamese, Korean, Mandarian, and some Japanese).

So legal Hispanics still speak Spanish at home and within their enclave. I don't know if it will stay that way, but I think that the close proximity and cultural past with Mexico will ensure this.
Rising demographics of Hispanics?

I strongly suspect that most of the legal ones are either full on English speaking Americans or at least green card holders so marketing in Spanish to them may actually be an insult. Trust me: if Madison Ave attempted to market to me in Hungarian (my father's heritage)----------I would be offended.

As for the illegal Latinos: they really do not count since they are leaving the USA in droves and have no rights over and above any other group of lawbreakers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 3,182,001 times
Reputation: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Rising demographics of Hispanics?

I strongly suspect that most of the legal ones are either full on English speaking Americans or at least green card holders so marketing in Spanish to them may actually be an insult. Trust me: if Madison Ave attempted to market to me in Hungarian (my father's heritage)----------I would be offended.

As for the illegal Latinos: they really do not count since they are leaving the USA in droves and have no rights over and above any other group of lawbreakers.
No it's actually quite popular, and many marketers do it. Umm...look at MTV tres. It's mixed Spanish and English. It's main demographic is youn Latinos that are proud of their Latin heritage. Mostly middle class in character (judging from the commercials they air).

Watch cable TV. Hispanic buying power in suburban areas is growing. There is no need to reject your language completely as there was in previous years. Hence why in SoCal there are Armenian channels, Korean channels, Japanese channels, Spanish Channels, Russian channels...all reaching out to middle class immigran Americans. Spanish being the big one.

That's really sad that you would be offended if somebody marketed to you in a famaliar way. Umm...I would actually be kind of happy if there were commercials targeted to French speakers in America. It would be kind of cool to be able to say that while I'm American, I'm also Ivorian. It is reaffirm the buyer that they understand your heritage and how it is important to you. It's gimmick, but at least one that promotes a sense of cosmopolitanism America.

Seriously, you've not heard of the increased buying power of Hispanics in America? Really? You live in Arizona?
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:04 PM
 
8,193 posts, read 7,127,915 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Then tell me all about Missouri and the war they fought a decade before the actual war started in SC. Yeah, revisionist....all because someone knows more about the history of the Civil War than you did. Go get educated before trying to discuss this issue because you have already shown how little you know.
Sigh.....let me try this one more time.
When I said that after the civil war the souths economy lay in ruins I meant just that. War inevitably destroys the country it is fought in, as well as destroys the economy of the losing country.
The South lost. Carpet baggers came in. People lost their farms/plantations because they had no cash to pay taxes. They were defeated and they felt they had their collective noses rubbed in it. Because of that as well as other things that I will not get into here, the environment gave birth to the Klan. The KKK filled a void, it allowed men who felt powerless to feel in control of their lives once again. Of course a black man would have a different opinion of it

No tell me, how is that wrong?
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 24,193,564 times
Reputation: 3611
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No it's actually quite popular, and many marketers do it. Umm...look at MTV tres. It's mixed Spanish and English. It's main demographic is youn Latinos that are proud of their Latin heritage. Mostly middle class in character (judging from the commercials they air).

Watch cable TV. Hispanic buying power in suburban areas is growing. There is no need to reject your language completely as there was in previous years. Hence why in SoCal there are Armenian channels, Korean channels, Japanese channels, Spanish Channels, Russian channels...all reaching out to middle class immigran Americans. Spanish being the big one.

That's really sad that you would be offended if somebody marketed to you in a famaliar way. Umm...I would actually be kind of happy if there were commercials targeted to French speakers in America. It would be kind of cool to be able to say that while I'm American, I'm also Ivorian. It is reaffirm the buyer that they understand your heritage and how it is important to you. It's gimmick, but at least one that promotes a sense of cosmopolitanism America.

Seriously, you've not heard of the increased buying power of Hispanics in America? Really? You live in Arizona?
That is where you and I are directly opposite.

If a family wishes to speak their language at home; that is one thing, but knowing fluent English is of paramount importance here in the USA. Being immersed in Spanish, Armenian, Farsi, etc. does not help in assimilation.

As for myself: I am an unhyphenated American of part Hungarian heritage.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top