Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Campbell34 The thing is that it is only written that God has said anything. Whenever we believe that God is actually speaking to us there never is any solid proof.
Besidez, how many 'prophets' have prophesized that the end of time would occur in the year x and whenever that didn't happen he simply excuses this by saying that he had read the prophecies wrong so the end of time will happen in the year x+1?
I would say the proof is in the already fulfilled prophecies. In the world of Bible prophecy we are living in a very active time. I don't focus on the prophets who just give a date without any supporting evidence. Also, God has given us signs to watch for. Before the day of the Lord arrives, Israel will have a short time of peace. Until we see that day, God's return cannot happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by Campbell34
Quote:
I don't focus on the prophets who just give a date without any supporting evidence.
The problem then is what is evidence?
I mean there is no evidence of God, so how do you want evidence from God speaking?
The fact that there might be historical proof of Jesus, does not mean that the Jesus the Bible described ever existed.
The only thing that you can prove with the Bible is if Jesus' philosophy works or not. Whether Jesus is the son of God or God Himself cannot be proven.

For me personally it is irrelevant if Jesus existed or not, or that God exists or not. As long as Jesus' philosophy works for me and my environment I'll keep following his path.

Last edited by Tricky D; 04-01-2008 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34The problem then is what is evidence?
I mean there is no evidence of God, so how do you want evidence from God speaking?
The fact that there might be historical proof of Jesus, does not mean that the Jesus the Bible described ever existed.
The only thing that you can prove with the Bible is if Jesus' philosophy works or not. Whether Jesus is the son of God or God Himself cannot be proven.

For me personally it is irrelevant if Jesus existed or not, or that God exists or not. As long as Jesus' philosophy works for me and my environment I'll keep following his path.
I believe there is only one Book on earth that speaks for God. And that Book is the Bible. Unlike other religious Books, the Bible fortells the future before the future happens. It is the prophecies of the bible that reveals God's
finger print. You will not find this proof in any other religious text.
It's kind of like the time when Jesus told a man that could not walk that his sins were forgiven. Those who were close to Jesus said, master you should not say that, for only God can forgive sins, and Jesus told them, what is easier to do, to say your sins be forgiven, or to say arise take up your bed and walk.
Any religion can produce a book, but who can write a Book that fortells the future? The same one that authored the bible is the same one that proclaims the truth of His Word. The Bible itself tells us that Jesus Christ is the only person who can give us eternal life. His philosophy may work for you, but only the person of Jesus Christ can forgive sins. And that is why Jesus tells us we need two births. One of course is physical, the other is spiritual. And this is also why Jesus said, unless a man is born again, he will not enter into the Kingdom of God.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
We aren't allowed to know the time. Some things are sealed until the end. Even Jesus didn't know in His earthly incarnation: "Only the Father knows". Also, we are told that "no man can rightly divide (interpret) the scriptures". All of these theories and calculations are in vain. He will come "like a thief in the night".

Jesus did say that when the Gospel has been taught to all the nations then the end will come. That can't be too far from now, or so it would seem.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Many good people feel the same. You could also live gracefully using Buddha's teachings or Confucius'. However, Christ's philosophy is not just a moral code for a good decent life. It is an offer of forgiveness of sin, and granting of eternal life which must be accepted or face a natural un-saved man's death and possibly eternal punishment. Jesus Christ is not a mere philosopher. He is mankind's only salvation.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:24 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I think the sooner religion exits and proof that no gods exist surfaces, the better. Then all the bickering will stop, maybe it will be replaced with other bickering but at least it will be something new, not this ageold fighting over who's god is better... That's all it is nowadays; Muslims are wrong, Jews are wrong....the list goes on and on, people are being killed for what god they prefer.
look at the Mayans and Azteks and so on...they all selfdistructed and had gods that were just as important as the one you believe in nowadays.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I think the sooner religion exits and proof that no gods exist surfaces, the better. Then all the bickering will stop, maybe it will be replaced with other bickering but at least it will be something new, not this ageold fighting over who's god is better... That's all it is nowadays; Muslims are wrong, Jews are wrong....the list goes on and on, people are being killed for what god they prefer.
look at the Mayans and Azteks and so on...they all selfdistructed and had gods that were just as important as the one you believe in nowadays.
Yes many people believe in false Gods, but how can one not believe in the God of the Bible when He speaks of history before it happens? If the Bible is just another Book of false teachings. Why are the end time prophecies coming to pass?

Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
What end prophesies? Global warming? That's just part of the earth evolving. One day humans will be gone just like dinosaurs and other species...It's all part of how planets run their course. If the Sun burns out million or thousands of years from now or tomorrow, earth is doomed.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We aren't allowed to know the time. Some things are sealed until the end. Even Jesus didn't know in His earthly incarnation: "Only the Father knows". Also, we are told that "no man can rightly divide (interpret) the scriptures". All of these theories and calculations are in vain. He will come "like a thief in the night".

Jesus did say that when the Gospel has been taught to all the nations then the end will come. That can't be too far from now, or so it would seem.
Jesus tells us when we see Israel return as a nation he is at the door ready to return. I think to many Christians have not considered many of the prophecies of the Bible and have limited themselves in this area. Jesus will come like a thief (to those who have not been watching), thats why Jesus tells us to keep our lamps lit. It is the one's who are asleep who will be caught of guard, not the wise, or the one's who have been watching for him.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:02 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by Bideshi
Quote:
Many good people feel the same. You could also live gracefully using Buddha's teachings or Confucius'. However, Christ's philosophy is not just a moral code for a good decent life. It is an offer of forgiveness of sin, and granting of eternal life which must be accepted or face a natural un-saved man's death and possibly eternal punishment.
I only see it as a positive thing that you do not need to believe in sin or eternal life to follow the path of Jesus. I follow Jesus out of my own free will and not out of fear for ending up in eternal hell or something.
I agree with MaggieZ that once humanity is able to stop battling over which religion is the true religion mankind is finally able to (spiritually) evolve further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam