Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 05:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times

Advertisements

Contest Winners Announced!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Congratulations to the winners!

AZDesertBrat
elnina
goyguy
in_newengland
jfre81
nei
RayinAK
STT Resident
Submariner
toobusytoday

Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Contest Winners Announced!!!
I can't believe I actually won! I'm so jazzed because it will come in very handy right now.

Congrats to everyone else too! Just goes to show, you never know! I guess it really pays to be 'gabby'.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:54 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,853 times
Congrats AZDesertBrat, in_newengland, Submariner (those are the winners I'm familiar with and all deserve it!) As someone who is still looking for my "forever home," I'm inspired by reading Submariner's posts about his home in Maine and of AZDesertBrat's recent success with her new home in Arizona.

Not to take away from that happy news, but I have something else I wanted to post about--a little more serious and I hope no one minds.

I feel sad when I see anyone have a discouraging experience here, and even more so if it is someone who shows graciousness, articulateness, wide-ranging understanding, and empathy for/supportiveness of others.

The first time I read this site, it was because a thread came up in an Internet search. I had never heard of this site, was just following the link brought up by that search. It was a great thread, with great people on it, which encouraged me to explore the site further, and I came to really appreciate that a site like this exists. No matter how well-informed or experienced we may be, we can't know everything about everything, and so it's great to have a go-to place where people who know more about dealing with an issue that's come up in our lives are willing to take time to help.

I feel fortunate that I didn't encounter one of those threads that get derailed/negative until later on. If one of those had been my first exposure to this site, I wouldn't have come back--and would have wound up missing out on a lot of great info and the chance to interact with some really nice, helpful people. I feel bad for anyone whose introduction to this site is one of those negative threads--they will probably miss out on discovering how great some of the other information and discussions here are.

It would truly be wonderful if every single post was designed to either provide someone with useful knowledge or just in some way brighten their day.

In case it needs stating, I am not talking about avoiding sincere discussions of negative realities or avoiding making relevant, helpful comments about what may be missing in a discussion.

I don't normally make these kinds of comments because I feel if a thread has gone off track, I don't want to contribute to continuing that digression (which must be frustrating to the reader who thought the posts were going to hopefully enlighten them on the original topic). But since this is a chat thread and the subject has come up, I thought this might be the right time and place to put in my two cents.

And many thanks to all the great people who contribute in a spirit of such helpfulness and generosity!

Last edited by City__Datarer; 03-12-2015 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 06:43 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Congrats to all winners! YAY!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2015, 06:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Congrats AZDesertBrat, in_newengland, Submariner (those are the winners I'm familiar with and all deserve it!) As someone who is still looking for my "forever home," I'm inspired by reading Submariner's posts about his home in Maine and of AZDesertBrat's recent success with her new home in Arizona.

Not to take away from that happy news, but I have something else I wanted to post about--a little more serious and I hope no one minds.

I feel sad when I see anyone have a discouraging experience here, and even more so if it is someone who shows graciousness, articulateness, wide-ranging understanding, and empathy for/supportiveness of others.

The first time I read this site, it was because a thread came up in an Internet search. I had never heard of this site, was just following the link brought up by that search. It was a great thread, with great people on it, which encouraged me to explore the site further, and I came to really appreciate that a site like this exists. No matter how educated or experienced we may be, we can't know everything about everything, and so it's great to have a go-to place where people who know more about dealing with an issue that's come up in our lives are willing to take time to help.

I feel fortunate that I didn't encounter one of those threads that get derailed/negative until later on. If one of those had been my first exposure to this site, I wouldn't have come back--and would have wound up missing out on a lot of great info and the chance to interact with some really nice, helpful people. I feel bad for anyone whose introduction to this site is one of those negative threads--they will probably miss out on discovering how great some of the other information and discussions here are.

It would truly be wonderful if every single post was designed to either provide someone with useful knowledge or just in some way brighten their day.

In case it needs stating, I am not talking about avoiding sincere discussions of negative realities or avoiding making relevant, helpful comments about what may be missing in a discussion.

I don't normally make these kinds of comments because I feel if a thread has gone off track, I don't want to contribute to continuing that digression (which must be frustrating to the reader who thought the posts were going to hopefully enlighten them on the original topic). But since this is a chat thread and the subject has come up, I thought this might be the right time and place to put in my two cents.

And many thanks to all the great people who contribute in a spirit of such helpfulness and generosity!
Thank you for all you contribute and for your wonderful attitude!

Old 03-12-2015, 06:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:

The first time I read this site, it was because a thread came up in an Internet search. I had never heard of this site, was just following the link brought up by that search. It was a great thread, with great people on it, which encouraged me to explore the site further, and I came to really appreciate that a site like this exists. No matter how educated or experienced we may be, we can't know everything about everything, and so it's great to have a go-to place where people who know more about dealing with an issue that's come up in our lives are willing to take time to help.

I echo this entire post including the congrats. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I can't believe I actually won! I'm so jazzed because it will come in very handy right now.

Congrats to everyone else too! Just goes to show, you never know! I guess it really pays to be 'gabby'.
The Universe heard me! I was thinking of you and in_newengland (submariner too, as I read him on the Maine forum so often as well) as great candidates for a prize.

Now don't let it go over your head and don't spend it all in one place (well, maybe, on your new home).

Old 03-12-2015, 06:49 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Congrats AZDesertBrat, in_newengland, Submariner (those are the winners I'm familiar with and all deserve it!) As someone who is still looking for my "forever home," I'm inspired by reading Submariner's posts about his home in Maine and of AZDesertBrat's recent success with her new home in Arizona. .....................
I'd like to second those sentiments. Those three winners are the same three posters with whom I am familiar from the Retirement Forum. They are indeed winners in every sense.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:00 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Thank you. The retirees do it again! I am absolutely shocked to have won.

Congrats to AZDesertBrand and Submariner and all the others.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:

The first time I read this site, it was because a thread came up in an Internet search. I had never heard of this site, was just following the link brought up by that search. It was a great thread, with great people on it, which encouraged me to explore the site further, and I came to really appreciate that a site like this exists. No matter how well-informed or experienced we may be, we can't know everything about everything, and so it's great to have a go-to place where people who know more about dealing with an issue that's come up in our lives are willing to take time to help.

Thank you for a great post. And the congrats! I found CD 'accidently' myself and was pleasantly surprised to see how many forums it had going. I've actually been around since 2007 but had to change my member name, etc. in 2009.

I have learned a LOT in these forums. There has always been somebody to answer questions and just reading of other's experiences teaches a lot sometimes. I like the people who 'hang out' here and you get to know everyone over time so you learn what to expect from them.

I like your two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement