Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times

Advertisements

I just bought the red (love it) Mazda CX5 Touring (AWD)- absolutely love it. I also looked at the CRV & the Forester. It was down to the Forester & The CX5. The new Honda CRV was just too ugly - sorry, but it is. I've had Hondas for the last 30 years and wanted to get another one~but~ew.

The Mazda gets great reviews and it is the cutest one on the market~IMO. Great mileage - one of the best for SUVs.

I got the Blind Spot Monitoring because they all have blind spots - it beeps at you if you are attempting to merge into another lane and a car is too close - cool.

I have the camera for backing up - also cool.

The Forester was also nice but the Mazda styling suited me better.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Also, I would not get a 2013 Mazda CX5 - the lack of power was a major complaint and has been corrected in the 2014.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I just bought the red (love it) Mazda CX5 Touring (AWD)- absolutely love it. I also looked at the CRV & the Forester. It was down to the Forester & The CX5. The new Honda CRV was just too ugly - sorry, but it is. I've had Hondas for the last 30 years and wanted to get another one~but~ew.

The Mazda gets great reviews and it is the cutest one on the market~IMO. Great mileage - one of the best for SUVs.

I got the Blind Spot Monitoring because they all have blind spots - it beeps at you if you are attempting to merge into another lane and a car is too close - cool.

I have the camera for backing up - also cool.

The Forester was also nice but the Mazda styling suited me better.
Thanks ~

MPG on the Mazda?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Newenglandgirl, we have a 2010 Subaru Forester and a 2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC. The head gasket problems are not on the 6-cylinder engines, and we have had no problems with our Outback. We looked at the Honda CRV but the safety ratings are not as good as the Forester. The Forester handles beautifully--nimble, fun, and great in snow. I had to drive home in the middle of a heavy snowfall from the Portland airport on an unplowed I-295 and had NO problems. It has great visibility and it is easy to get in/out of. I love driving both of our Subarus.

You might also consider the Mazda CX-5 with Skyactiv. It seems to be an excellent small crossover vehicle. I have been doing extensive research on car buying for a friend and for our son, so feel free to ask more questions.
Thanks, Fern, quite helpful information.

How many miles can each of yours expect to last, given good maintenance?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Must you go new? Certified pre owned would be the proper, frugal New England way.
Thanks for your input! This car may be the final one I purchase. I want it to last 15 years till I'm 80 , at which point I don't care what I drive (if I'm driving at that point). That'w why I'm looking at new.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
Also, spring for the best extended warranty you can afford.

negirl are you financing or cash? Not that it's my business. I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan so not financing ever again.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
Umbria, nice ride! Now you need to take a road trip. Out to Virginia to pick up your dear old friend Caladium Take me for a ride, and I'll take you out for the best Thai food in town. And margaritas. And chocolate.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Also, spring for the best extended warranty you can afford.

negirl are you financing or cash? Not that it's my business. I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan so not financing ever again.
Not financing. While contemplating new, I"m also trying to drive a hard bargain on a 2012 Subaru. Not sure they're going to bite.

This thing of having to buy a car now is coming 4 years too soon. We were planning on "new" when I turn 69. But then, the prices will be that much more up. If I buy too soon, the vehicle won't last as long as I need it to.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:49 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just spent the entire afternoon at car dealerships. I was hoping to delay this a few years but apparently not. Are we allowed to ask for opinions on different makes and models?

<snip>

If we can't discuss this here, I welcome a DM with your thoughts/recommendations ~ I may have to make a decision within a few days. Thanks ~
As this is a chat thread, no topic should be off limits. In fact, that is the purpose of designating a specific thread as a chat thread; so that people can discuss topics that would otherwise be considered off-topic on a particular forum. (At least that's how it works on other C/D boards in which I participate.)

Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
thank you for your pass MadMan, you are a wise and respected elder in my book.

negirl you are of sound mind and well researched. Timing? Old Yiddish quote

Man makes plans and God laughs.

My father is looking at Subies to replace the 2007 Highlander, too.

'Father, thank you for another day on planet Earth.' -Phil Robertson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement