Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 09:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I need to rant. Today I have a real headache (besides the hip pain). My daughter and son in law now want to move BACK to Chicago (where she and I came from 14 years ago). They want to be around the rest of the family.

And, it is the ideal time to sell my house at a good profit. Have interviewed 3 realtors, chose one and he is ready to go. The market is hot. My area is in demand. There might already be buyers out there who lost out on same exact model in a bidding war down the street a few weeks ago.

So what's the problem?? CHICAGO?? Not my cup of tea. Once again, here I am not knowing where to go. It's all coming together now, yet I still have not an inkling of where to live. Will probably list the house and live somewhere temporarily. Alot of moving for an old lady with a sore hip.
Why do you need to move?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I need to move for several reasons. I have a large yard with tons of blooming bushes and garden stuff and grass which is way too much for me. I have arthritis, besides 2 hip replacements, and it isn't easy to care for this 1776 sf house alone anymore. And there is another incentive which I have not listed. I have a stinkin rot neighbor who throws poop in my yard because my tree has flowers that blow into her pool. I caught my dog eating it one day and that was the final straw. I just do not want to live next to this evil woman.

The more I think about this, I feel this is the fork in the road. Daughter and hubby will go one way but I will probably go another. I will just have to accept whatever comes.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Default Hello

Quote:
I need to move for several reasons. I have a large yard with tons of blooming bushes and garden stuff and grass which is way too much for me. I have arthritis, besides 2 hip replacements, and it isn't easy to care for this 1776 sf house alone anymore. And there is another incentive which I have not listed. I have a stinkin rot neighbor who throws poop in my yard because my tree has flowers that blow into her pool. I caught my dog eating it one day and that was the final straw. I just do not want to live next to this evil woman.

The more I think about this, I feel this is the fork in the road. Daughter and hubby will go one way but I will probably go another. I will just have to accept whatever comes.
These decisions we have to make in our lives are not always easy for sure. I think once you have relocated yourself and have settled in to your lifestyle, you might wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I have a neighbor issue, too. But since I will be moving into another complex who knows what I'll deal with there. I moved into a 55+ income based complex about 3.5 years ago. Love the apartment tho the balcony opens on parking lot and an idiot on first floor in end unit has a truck that makes a lot of noise and he lets it warm up for 15-20 minutes at really odd times of the night (11 p.m., 3 a.m., 5 a.m., etc.) And when he comes home, he manages to make a lot of noise with it then, too.

A couple of years ago Syracuse University had a wonderful basketball year and a lot of people watched the games in the common room. Game ended at about 11 p.m. Then three or four of them wandered down the hall toward their apartments (near me) and stood out in the hallway talking in loud voices about the game. I finally put an anonymous note under one of their doors that said to please consider your neighbors who might be trying to sleep. I couldn't believe they had to be told about it. But it did work.

Sometimes I think I should live on a small island.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:19 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
"I have a neighbor issue, too. But since I will be moving into another complex who knows what I'll deal with there. I moved into a 55+ income based complex about 3.5 years ago. Love the apartment tho the balcony opens on parking lot and an idiot on first floor in end unit has a truck that makes a lot of noise and he lets it warm up for 15-20 minutes at really odd times of the night (11 p.m., 3 a.m., 5 a.m., etc.) And when he comes home, he manages to make a lot of noise with it then, too. "

haha NYgal....... see my thread in the automotive section here asking if diesels need to warm up. I bet your neighbor has a diesel. I thought mine was running a generator

Old 05-24-2015, 02:59 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
It's true - no matter where you choose to live, neighbors will always be a problem.

It's why we want to move from the cookie-cutter suburbs with the .25 of an acre lots and within earshot of our neighbor's errant fire alarm that beeps incessantly and they don't hear it......or their dogs.

Trying to put more land between us and whomever lives next to us.......

You just never know.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
"I have a neighbor issue, too. But since I will be moving into another complex who knows what I'll deal with there. I moved into a 55+ income based complex about 3.5 years ago. Love the apartment tho the balcony opens on parking lot and an idiot on first floor in end unit has a truck that makes a lot of noise and he lets it warm up for 15-20 minutes at really odd times of the night (11 p.m., 3 a.m., 5 a.m., etc.) And when he comes home, he manages to make a lot of noise with it then, too. "

haha NYgal....... see my thread in the automotive section here asking if diesels need to warm up. I bet your neighbor has a diesel. I thought mine was running a generator
Hi, I know what diesels sound like and his truck does not have that particular sound. He buys really junk cars (look nice on outside, but something happened to them at one time). One of my other neighbors, a guy, more or less told me that. Somebody (not me) must have talked to him because he can start it up and take right off now. His wife is really something, thinks she is the mayor (haha). If we have someone come to speak to us (police, fire, etc.) she likes to run the show. The rule here is one pet per apartment. They have two dogs. Her explanation? They both need their own dog because of health reasons. OK, I guess I was born yesterday.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:

Come on up to New England and check it out. Gorgeous time of year. Spring, summer, fall are great. So what's a little snow and cold, LOL....lots of nice older folks here who are into all kinds of interesting things. You could always spend Jan-Feb elsewhere.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:20 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Come on up to New England and check it out. Gorgeous time of year. Spring, summer, fall are great. So what's a little snow and cold, LOL....lots of nice older folks here who are into all kinds of interesting things. You could always spend Jan-Feb elsewhere.
Don't know why this would be better than Chicago area where her family is. Which is better? Loneliness in what might be better weather or near family in weather not as good?

Personally, I think weather factors are overrated.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:06 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Don't know why this would be better than Chicago area where her family is. Which is better? Loneliness in what might be better weather or near family in weather not as good?

Personally, I think weather factors are overrated.
Good point, Burkmere. I agree that people freak out too much about the weather, but that's easy for me to say living in Southern California! In any case, only the individual can answer which is more important for him or her. Even the desire to be near family will not have the same importance for everybody, as the nature of the family relationships and dynamics is not the same for everybody.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:02 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I really do hate the thought of leaving Minnesota. It has been home for almost all of my 61years. But, the winter is hard on people with arthritus and bursites. I have both. One of my brother's lives in Tennessee and he would love for me to move there but...I'm scared of the change. I might have to do it but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.