Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Of course she does. Why wouldn't she deserve the death penalty? Is she too "pretty" to be given the death penalty? After all, she did murder a man and it was most likely premeditated. Not to mention that MANY men have been put to death with MUCH less evidence than there is against Jodi in this case.
I might have said it before on this thread, I just don't believe in the DP for women unless she's murdered children or a serial thing.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I might have said it before on this thread, I just don't believe in the DP for women unless she's murdered children or a serial thing.
Why is does Jodi Arias (or any other female murderer) supposed to receive special treatment just because she is san penis? I am not understanding the logic behind your opinion. Women are just as capable as men are in committing evil acts against another human being....why should they not be punished in the same manner.

To not give Jodi Arias the same punitive consequences for her crime that a man would receive under the exact same circumstances violates the principle of equal justice under law.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,951 times
Honestly CamaroGuy most people might not admit to it,but the statistics pretty much agree with you. Look at how many DP cases go to trial then most of the time they just get life for women.that is even if they get convicted at all. I don't agree with it I mean to me that is sexist but whatever. Like I said I am usually against the dp but if anyone deserves it it's "stabby" Arias.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
That sort of view about not wanting to harm women comes from deep in our genes. (as opposed to deep in our jeans ) From the earliest times cavemen were programed to protect and defend women and that attitude still is with us today. We see all women as "Mom" and we give them special treatment because of it. But when we see women who do vile things like Jodi or Casey did (yes, I know Casey was "found innocent" but most of us know that was a fluke) I think they deserve exactly the same treatment as any man who did something similar.

It is also a fact that pretty ladies fare better than not so attractive women in getting punished. Look at that Aileen Wuornos woman who killed those men accompanied by her lesbian lover. She was not pretty and we had no problem putting her to death. We as a society are strange like that.

Don

Old 04-21-2013, 12:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That sort of view about not wanting to harm women comes from deep in our genes. (as opposed to deep in our jeans ) From the earliest times cavemen were programed to protect and defend women and that attitude still is with us today. We see all women as "Mom" and we give them special treatment because of it. But when we see women who do vile things like Jodi or Casey did (yes, I know Casey was "found innocent" but most of us know that was a fluke) I think they deserve exactly the same treatment as any man who did something similar.

It is also a fact that pretty ladies fare better than not so attractive women in getting punished. Look at that Aileen Wuornos woman who killed those men accompanied by her lesbian lover. She was not pretty and we had no problem putting her to death. We as a society are strange like that.

Don
That's a great point. I forgot about Aileen Wuornos. She admitted guilt then said she was raped but then she just gave up her appeals and begged for the DP. THis even brings up the teacher/sex scandals..remember that "hot blonde" from Florida who slept with her 14 year old student..her lawyer actually said she as too pretty for jail. Debra Lafave was her name...If that was a man doing that he would still be in jail. But getting back to this case..it's hard to tell what the jury will do.I just tend to think they will give her life without parole. In fact I will be surprised if she gets death.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelilly View Post

This trial started on January 2, 2013. None of the jurors has called in, yet Stabby has gotten 3 migraines thus stopping court mid-day or having it cancelled all together and ALV also said she was sick and court was canceled for the rest of the day.
Tomorrow, 4/22, is cancelled due to a conflict with one of the jurors. It appears they request permission for whatever reason needed to the judge. The judge then discusses it with the DT and Prosecution. If I recall correctly this particular juror gave them an option he/she needed 4/22 or 4/23 to do whatever. A request probably takes some type of supporting documentation by the juror that he/she has to have the time off.

But this jury has been yanked around so bad as you listed all the headaches, someone in the gallery throwing up, ALV getting sick in addition to DT and Prosecution going to sidebar and then into judge's chambers and judge dismisses jury for the remainder of the day. Which is time the jury planned to be there. Sitting in the hall or a room wherever they keep placing the jury with the ins and outs.

They have yet to start on time in the mornings, they do not start on time after the lunch break. A lot of time is being wasted in this trial. Even when the judge humbly asked the jury ... do any of you have a conflict being here on Friday. If I was serving on that jury I would want to get it rolling ... moving on and not have to see Arias coloring or writing and erasing all day long. Arias doing that supports Dr. DeMarte's diagnosis comparing Arias' behavior to an immature teenager.

One good thing happened Thursday ... Juan Martinez got in Arias stole Travis Alexander's ring. Even though Willmott objected and Nurmi picked his nose ... JUAN GOT IT IN. LOL This was new info to the jury. I wish he could get in the slashed tires. I am glad Nurmi just picks his nose and is not a crotch scratcher.

Peeping in the window at Travis and a woman ... sneaking in the house and hiding behind the Christmas tree is none of this considered stalking ... going into his Facebook and email without his permission after he had changed his passwords.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Tomorrow, 4/22, is cancelled due to a conflict with one of the jurors. It appears they request permission for whatever reason needed to the judge. The judge then discusses it with the DT and Prosecution. If I recall correctly this particular juror gave them an option he/she needed 4/22 or 4/23 to do whatever. A request probably takes some type of supporting documentation by the juror that he/she has to have the time off.

But this jury has been yanked around so bad as you listed all the headaches, someone in the gallery throwing up, ALV getting sick in addition to DT and Prosecution going to sidebar and then into judge's chambers and judge dismisses jury for the remainder of the day. Which is time the jury planned to be there. Sitting in the hall or a room wherever they keep placing the jury with the ins and outs.

They have yet to start on time in the mornings, they do not start on time after the lunch break. A lot of time is being wasted in this trial. Even when the judge humbly asked the jury ... do any of you have a conflict being here on Friday. If I was serving on that jury I would want to get it rolling ... moving on and not have to see Arias coloring or writing and erasing all day long. Arias doing that supports Dr. DeMarte's diagnosis comparing Arias' behavior to an immature teenager.

One good thing happened Thursday ... Juan Martinez got in Arias stole Travis Alexander's ring. Even though Willmott objected and Nurmi picked his nose ... JUAN GOT IT IN. LOL This was new info to the jury. I wish he could get in the slashed tires. I am glad Nurmi just picks his nose and is not a crotch scratcher.

Peeping in the window at Travis and a woman ... sneaking in the house and hiding behind the Christmas tree is none of this considered stalking ... going into his Facebook and email without his permission after he had changed his passwords.
What you mentioned would be considered "stalking" with most experts and aside from that we have her driving for a day to see the person she now is claiming abused her but with no proof other than from a lying defendent who is fighting for her life and will say anything to get away with this horrific crime SHE committed and admitted to have done, it should be an easy conviction and DP!

Woman or man there shouldn't be any difference. To me this is even a worse crime because there is no proof of the gun being his, him going to her house to abuse her, her being a victim of any sex game or sex abuse since it looks like she is enjoying it since the day after she slaughtered him she was all over another man something a woman who is abused like she claims she was will not look for, not even to obtain an alibi since there are plenty of ways to create an alibi and story but for JA to be making out less than 24 hrs. after this way of murdering a person makes it clear she is evil and a very scary person to be around.

People who were close to Ted Bundy and other murderers had no clue they were capable of doing something like that aside from the victims! People like that can be charming...

It would be justice for Travis to see next or over the image of JA saying "no jury will convict me" the words "GUILTY" when the verdict comes back!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
An expert witness hired by either side is looking specifically for what is needed by that side. They are being compensated.
I personally only saw a bit of the testimony by the prosecution witness. I've been reviewing some online webpages about her testimony. Seems like she didn't have as much experience in testing and assessment. One test does not a diagnosis make, seems like she based a lot of her "expert diagnosis" on the MMPI. It may have been more beneficial if she'd also re-tested using the same tests as the defenses experts assessment/test tools. Not sure I was impressed by her testimony.
What do the test Samuels used and wrote the answers himself, for ARIAS, and scored himself, provide? What do you think the MMPI and Milan miss?

I'm confused and hope you can help me out on this one.

The prosecution witness has been licensed and a director of an agency for 6 years. I'd take her testing any day over Samuels, for any member of my family or myself. She makes sense when she explains the testing and the theory behind it. (Just to be clear, no one in my family or I am criminals.. just saying I think she's so on the $ I'd take my nearest and dearest to her for testing).

MSR

Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
What about a man, CamaroGuy? I respect your opinion. I'm simply asking how you would feel if it were a male not a female.

MSR

Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

Great post, CW.

I honestly don't know or have forgotten about the ring. Can you tell me more?

Wasn't ARIAS just a Stocking Stuffer (NOT)

I thought she went into his phone too, not just the email and Facebook, which is why many question if she wrote some of those comments to herself.

That's a bad visual you paint, CW, about Nurmi. Maybe the guy needs allergy help or tissue. At least HE has shown up and not had to have a day off. I can't comment about Nurmi not being a crotch scratcher.... cuz I'm laughing too hard.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime