Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The massacre at Wounded Knee in December 1890 was probably the last major scale mistreatment of American Indians and once again an epic low in the annals of American history.
No it was not the last of the mistreatment perpetrated upon the Amerindians. The abuse became institutionalized, children were put into homes where they were beaten if they spoke their native language. The list goes on.

The entire thing was endorsed and promoted by the US government. In northern California the US government paid contractors to hire mobs of drunks to "move the Indians out", few survived it. Most of those tribes that survived such as the Yurok live in poverty to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 AM

I have heard that the Ukr army has found a solution to the apparent unwillingness of some soldiers to fight the rebels. The solution is said to be to weed out the soldiers conscripted from the local population and bring in troops from other areas of Ukr willing to fight.

How much truth is there to this?

It makes sense to me.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Some thoughts on how Russians view themselves..enlightening comments I think. Would be fascinating to get the 'Ukrainian' view.

High school student in St Petersburg:
'A real Russian is a person who cares about his country, supports its ecology and just loves his country'.

Theater student in Volgograd:
One of the lyrics by the Lumen rock band is 'I love my country so much but I hate the state. I cannot say that I hate the state because I undesrtand that sometimes the government has to resort to drastic measures with regard to the people. There is, however, nothing to love the government for'.

'Love for the motherland includes the knowledge and udnerstanding of one's country and its many layers. Governments, on the other hand, change. In Russia, the government is always a sort of artrifical superstructure'.

Seemes to me things are getting hijacked somewhere along the lines from thoughts to actions. Really too too many agendas spoil the Russian/Ukrainian 'broth'.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I have heard that the Ukr army has found a solution to the apparent unwillingness of some soldiers to fight the rebels. The solution is said to be to weed out the soldiers conscripted from the local population and bring in troops from other areas of Ukr willing to fight.

How much truth is there to this?

It makes sense to me.
In general, Ukrainian army did not want to fight against their own people. They follow orders, but do not do so willingly. The main strike force of Ukraine - a National Guard. This "ideological" fighters recruited mainly from residents of the western regions. Their finance local oligarchs, so they often do not obey the General Staff of Ukraine and commit war crimes. They kill deserters, kill captured rebels, shelled residential areas and etc.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

For example, people are still not clear how the rebels left the Slavyansk. One version of that Ukrainian army did not destroy the columns with the rebels, because they came out with several thousand civilians (relatives of the rebels). Now the leaders of the National Guard cry of betrayal on the part of the Ukrainian army.

But it is also possible that the column really went unnoticed due to other distracting battle Slavyansk outskirts.

It is also possible that the rebels just paid for the passage money.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 PM

While comrades in Donetsk division of power, I will try to talk about war heroes.
Yesterday, the legendary field commander with the callsign "Motorola" was awarded the George Cross Novorossia.

Born in Russia, Komi Republic. Marine, rescue officers. Twice for six months participated in counter-terrorist operations in Chechnya. Married, son 5 years.

Interview with Motorola two weeks ago (Russian language):
Üþтþрþûð - þхþтýøú ÷ð ñðýôõрûþóðüø | áõóþôýÑÂ.ру

"- How did you get here?

- I took the train and came. Russian here, so I came. As soon as Molotov cocktails flew on Maidan police, it became clear - this is war. After the Nazis claimed that for each of his slain they will kill ten Russian, I could not stand aside. Russia and Ukraine - two different states. People have already decided. Let those who want to be Ukrainians live in Ukraine. A Russian let them live as they want. They want to live in the People's Republic of Donetsk, in the Novorossia. I have no political objectives, my task - to protect the people who have made their choice. This is not war, this is genocide. In the truest sense. Ukrainians do not fight, they kill civilians."

Squad Motorola defended outskirts Slavyansk: Semenovka and Nikolayevka. Both settlements practically destroyed by shelling.

July 3 Internet has information that the detachment commander was wounded. Guys recorded video: "I'm all in order, is alive and well, all will be well."

In the work:

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 07-07-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM

My daughter just said Motorola is one hunky dude.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:47 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
So, "Motorola" is Russian? Heck, is there even a single "Ukrainian" left that's fighting for Novorossia?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
My daughter just said Motorola is one hunky dude.
He is, kinda.
They have a quite a few colorful personalities there, among the fighters.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:54 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So, "Motorola" is Russian? Heck, is there even a single "Ukrainian" left that's fighting for Novorossia?
There are plenty of them.
But those in charge seem to be Russians for the most part. No wonder - they are more knowledgeable, more pros.

P.S. What's more interesting, I don't see these people as "Putin's kind of people." Except for Borodai and may be Pushilin. (But Borodai - definitely.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe