Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 11:01 PM

238 posts, read 198,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Great to hear from you Selena!!

Were they shelling the airport today?
I didn't hear anyting and as I know near airport everything is really ok. Shellings didn't stop in another cities, but all I can hear right now is machine gun shooting. Have no idea what is going on, but can see from the window people on the street and they are walking quite calm despite shooting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 11:07 PM

238 posts, read 198,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Hello Selena - so happy to see you. ( And your picture.)
Glad things are getting better, ) although I hear on FB all the time that bozos from Kiev are amassing troops on your border. I hope the retards will finally leave you alone.

I was going through older essays of Dmitry Olshansky ( are you familiar with him, he is from "Russian news service,") and one of them that caught my eye was very short one;

"Если ударить ракетой по Донецку, как сегодня утром, - что будет?
Ничего.
А если ударить ракетой по Киеву в ответ - что будет?
Визг и вой на весь мир.
И это все, что вам нужно знать об этой войне."

"If you hit Donetsk with a missile, as it happened this morning - what' going to happen?
Nothing.
But if you'll hit Kiev in response in the same manner, what's going to happen?
There will be stink and howling for the whole world to hear.
That's all you need to know about this war."

( Of course Olshansky and the likes of him would like to see Donbass united with Russia. Only without Putin at helm.)
All the best to you and people of Donbass Selena, sorry for all your suffering in this war of international politics.
I hope they will leave us as soon as possile, but probably it won't stop for a long time.
Dmitriy Olshanskiy is right, many people really can't understand how hard to realize that people from your (in former time) country, want to kill you because they don't know their history and thinking that we are traitors and EU and USA are their friends. Ukraine never got from Europe anything except of stab in the back and if they knew their history, they should know about it.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:24 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,233,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
i understood it giveen that my language is bulgarian BUT - still it was a dumb joke. Here's better one (in english):
Russian react to the fall of the meteorite:

http://youtu.be/CRXbCwDgb2E

Old 12-20-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena822 View Post
Hello from straving Donetsk! I am still with you
Lena, hello. Glad to see here.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Here is someone from the Ukraine? Turning off street lights due to a lack of money - is it true?

Old 12-21-2014, 01:02 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Thoughts? Unfavorable? Favorable? Ukraine 'selling out' to the capitalistas?
A very difficult subject for me to be honest. On one hand, in order to "sell something out," one has to buy this "something" first. This "something" in this case was loyalty of Ukraine to Russia. But Putin's ( no, the whole post-90ies) Russia was not loyal to anyone - neither to her own nationals in former Soviet states, nor to Russians in Ukraine, nor to Ukraine itself. All that the "upper class" there was preoccupied with all this time, was their own wealth.
Russians ( both in Ukraine and in Russia) talk about it a lot, that after the initial events in Ukraine, it were the old historic ties between people, the old "archetypes" that kicked in, that still survived in spite of total vacuum of actions ( support of cultural ties) from Russian government within the last twenty years.
So it's difficult to "sell something out" that you don't really have. Unless, of course, we are talking about more sophisticated ideas of belonging to a nation that serves the "higher purpose," ( as many Russians believe in,) but that's already a different story.
So in many ways I can understand the initial desire of many Ukrainians to "change the master," ( as naive as it was, ) if not for one big "but." They shouldn't have, under any circumstances, unleashed the nationalistic sentiment against the Eastern part of their country and try to subdue it with "iron fist." Because claiming that they were so "different" from Russians and Russia, ( their "old master,") they indeed proved that they were/are predisposed to the same ills, and that they were/are not all that different from Russians in their nature, as much as they claim to be.

Quote:
Bucks and more bucks can move things. Get that infrastructure going. Time for Ukraine to get its development going I think.
Ukraine needs too many bucks "to move things." More than anyone will be able to afford. Without it, the whole endeavor will turn into a disaster. As in "the road to hell is paved with best intentions."

Last edited by erasure; 12-21-2014 at 01:25 AM..

Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Just an observation...

I know Putin would like more investors coming in to his neck of the woods but they a very wary now. since the Ukraine crisis mitigates against that. Now I'd have to think he is not too enamored of perhaps seeing tons of western money potentially going to Kiev. Will p*ss him off. I would like to think that maybe down the road he will see that cooperation with the apparent brother that has 'lost its way ' may be more beneficial than confrontation.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:23 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
Just an observation...

I know Putin would like more investors coming in to his neck of the woods but they a very wary now. since the Ukraine crisis mitigates against that. Now I'd have to think he is not too enamored of perhaps seeing tons of western money potentially going to Kiev. Will p*ss him off. I would like to think that maybe down the road he will see that cooperation with the apparent brother that has 'lost its way ' may be more beneficial than confrontation.
The only reason big investors are wary is the atmosphere created by the western media and politicians. It's costing Europe a hell of a lot of opportunity and money and will continue to do so. There's talk in Russia, people questioning how it came to this. The answer is simple, easy money from energy. Russia is not going to be investing so much in unreliable partners such as the EU. There's BRICS now and they're working on making their own version of the IMF among other things. Not everyone can be whipped into line by America like Europeans can. Brazil is a good example of this.

It will take time but it should even out in the end. Russia has made several mistakes such as the Mistral deal with France. Russia has the plans for the ships and they have the capability to build them. Maybe they'll do it themselves. Personally I'd build more nukes instead, an aggressive EU/US needs to be kept at bay.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:35 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
There's always a choice. Nothing wrong with Iranian apples and why buy Polish when Poles just want to see you dead? Why buy Lithuanian vegetables when the Lithuanian government will just buy weapons to use against you with the proceeds?

There's no point in feeding those trying to kill you.

TASS: Economy - Russia to begin food imports from Iran in January 2015 - Rosselkhoznadzor

Old 12-21-2014, 11:43 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
There's always a choice. Nothing wrong with Iranian apples and why buy Polish when Poles just want to see you dead? Why buy Lithuanian vegetables when the Lithuanian government will just buy weapons to use against you with the proceeds?

There's no point in feeding those trying to kill you.

TASS: Economy - Russia to begin food imports from Iran in January 2015 - Rosselkhoznadzor
To be honest, Russians are asking for their own fruits/vegetables to be grown.
Their own produce tastes very, very good when fresh and they know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe