Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 02:54 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times

Advertisements

Iran just executed 50 people for being gay.
Isha u allah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Not as bad as any other group? ...Pray tell...Hiroshima, Nagasaki..all those millions dead in WW2...which group were responsible? Muslims? Buddhists? judeo/Christians? Your group is just like any other groups....

Oh yeah...just 1 thing...can you explain to me why is it that all those crazy serial killers are mostly male white christians? Will these people go to heaven if they had already accepted Jesus as their saviour before their crime sprees?
You are trying to compare people with various religious affiliations, if any at all with a select group of Muslims with an embedded culture to justify what they are doing.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not a religious war, they were pay back for bombing Pearl Harbor. You don't start a fight you can't finish. Anyway you are comparing apples to oranges.

As for white male serial killers, again no religious affiliations......they don't usually get involved with jail house religion until they have been convicted and are on death row.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Again...how many other muslim societies that you know practice wearing the burqa? The burqa is a uniquely Afghan thing
It's a Saudi thing too. I have an American friend who married a Muslim/Saudi man and has to wear one in Saudi. They are also found in other places.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Would you consider a society where the women are pressured to constantly try to look young, be it via exercise or operations etc to be oppressive?
Again comparing apples to oranges. Nobody is forcing women to exercise or look young. They are not being murdered and circumcised if the don't.

You have got to come up with some better arguments. Just face it, there is no excuse for what Islam does to it's people.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
Again comparing apples to oranges. Nobody is forcing women to exercise or look young. They are not being murdered and circumcised if the don't.

You have got to come up with some better arguments. Just face it, there is no excuse for what Islam does to it's people.
What is Freedom? What is Oppression? Are your concepts of that shared by other people from other societies?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
What is Freedom? What is Oppression? Are your concepts of that shared by other people from other societies?
Oh c'mon now.
Do you really want to play moral relativism? Besides, isn't that the main draw for Islam -- the fact that you follow moral absolutes? That Mohommad very clearly drew out what was and what was not appropriate for a good muslim?
And now, you want to play everything is the same, there are no rules, no universal right or wrongs?
Murder is wrong. Murder to keep a segment of the population in line is wrong. If it doesn't say that in the Quron, than it ought to.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Iran just executed 50 people for being gay.
Isha u allah
Well, Achmadinejad did say that Iran had no gays -- I guess he meant that they would have no gays if they had to go through them one at a time.
Funny though that a man can kill his daughter for shame in Iran and get away with it, but god forbid the man is gay -- really, I think this is the only 'sex' crime a muslim man can actually be killed for.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
It's a Saudi thing too. I have an American friend who married a Muslim/Saudi man and has to wear one in Saudi. They are also found in other places.
The burka is not a Saudi thing. While what they wear there is similar to a burka, it does not have to cover the face.

And have you ever noticed what men wear over there?????

this really cracks me up, because the people saying the women over there are so oppressed because they cover themselves act like the men are running around naked. The men are wearing almost as much clothing as the women....

Women who choose to cover their face wear another piece of fabric that covers their face from the nose down, not their eyes, although I have seen some women, even here in the US, that do choose to cover their eyes as well.

I too have an acquaintance who lives in Saudi because her husband works there. They live in Jedda, and she does have to wear the robe to cover her head and body she does NOT cover her face. And btw she is not a conservative Muslim, but she absolutely loves Jedda. She is Egyptian and when she visits Egypt she does NOT cover. She only does it in Jedda, and though she has to she still loves Jedda.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, as a muslim man from a more moderate country - Egypt I think? What would you suggest would stop these men from committing horrible crimes in the name of Islam? Yes, I cannot find specific imams who think honor killings are OK -- yet they must exist, or honor killings would not be allowed to happen in Muslim countries. Or if they did, the killers would be arrested and serve real time in prison, not a few months.
i think that those who commit the honour killing dosn't give themself the time to thought about the teaching ofreligion , they commit thiere crime out of anger and haughtiness not out of devout

so how to stop these behaviours ? by increasing the teaching of islam and the teaching of prophet mohammed ( pbuh) , and to remind them by the consequences and punishment of God for the killers
and we need to concentrate these teaching between the village ( the village region not civiliced and they stick with this culture because all people there knows each other and marrying from each others , the scandal in such areas is very painfull to the families )

Quote:
As to the Saudi incident....you know, I really don't know what you are getting at. Are you saying that the eyewitnesses were wrong? From what I had read - from several different sources - the firemen were rescuing the girls, and as you said around 800 got out alive. The problem arose when the morals and vice police showed up. They were the ones that forbad the firemen from rescuing the girls because they were not in hijab. They were the ones that made that call and they did it with religious authority, authority backed by the king.
i just view the entire accedent , may be the firemen didn't gave the periorty for those who are not covered , it was very bad ,foolish decesion which caused the death of some of them , but it differ than to charge them as a killier
think about it from the sight of view of lawyer , look at the accedent as a case
this accedent (whatever i agree or not with the decesion of government ) dosn't mean that it's okey to kill your daughter for not wearing the hijab in saudia .
do you understood now what i'm getting at ?

Quote:
I know you are not a Saudi, and I am not trying to hold you responsible for their actions but I am honestly trying to understand how such distortations of the Quron can be allowed to happen with impugnity.
i didn't see any muslims before justifying honour killing citing the quran (even if by distortion it ) , may be it happened , but i never read or saw it by myself .

Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
It's discussions like this that only make me more firm in my belief that the world would be a better place without religion of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam