Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Great drive north on. 95. South very heavy at many points between DC and Richmond . Just after we unloaded storms started to roll in

Old 07-03-2014, 12:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just a rant . . . so frustrated and upset. Can't get anyone to issue an insurance policy on my recently purchased townhome. There is some kind of crazy "underwriters rule" in the region where the TH is located . . . no one will issue a policy without also having coverage on the person's auto.

My current residences and cars are all bundled with one policy. My current insurer won't insure my townhome b/c it is not my primary residence. They will not issue an HO6 policy - some reg they have about multiple residences. The only way they will issue a policy is to put an auto lapse of 90 days on my primary residence policy!

Meanwhile, the HOA management company has called and are going to fine me daily if I don't get a declaration faxed to them.
A national co. like State Farm Insurance? Or, change your new TH to be your primary residence (I think the requirement is a day over 6 mos of the calendar year in most states). Tell them you're living there but are staying in your current home occasionally, waiting for it to go on market (?)

Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't mind crickets...till one gets in the house! They can drive me nuts trying to find them and soon as you get close they shut up. lol
You don't like Jiminy???
Attached Thumbnails
Chat Thread-unknown.jpeg  

Old 07-03-2014, 12:53 PM

I thought we were off the hook with the big storm, it passed over us yesterday after some gloomy dark. But the thunder is rolling in, dogs back under the bed, and it's humid like S.C. Anyone else in the path?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You don't like Jiminy???
Ah yes. To this day, Jiminy Cricket is the only reason I can spell E-N-C-Y-C-L-O-P-E-D-I-A.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:08 PM

I need some recommendations for three things I'd like to purchase online. Can you recommend products you've bought and you're really satisfied with.

1) A standing floor fan that looks contemporary and works great and is quiet.

2) A portable humidifier (cool water) that is so quiet you cannot hear it at all even in the middle of the night (and preferably has no filters to change). This is in anticipation of fall/winter.

3) Old fashioned real percale (not the poor quality being called percale these days) 100% cotton, heavy and crisp bed sheets. I've gotten samples from companies that peddle "sheets like you had growing up" and "grandma's sheets" but they don't cut it).

All rec's welcome.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't mind crickets...till one gets in the house! They can drive me nuts trying to find them and soon as you get close they shut up. lol
I have crickets, lizards, moths, june bugs, the occasional stinkbug ... you name the critter, they get in under my screen door. Even with the tightly-fitted rubber sweep strip on the bottom of the door.

They're cat toys

But I'll take crickets over lizards any day. I like my evening breeze, but if lizard is sunning itself on my porch the wood door gets closed.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A national co. like State Farm Insurance? Or, change your new TH to be your primary residence (I think the requirement is a day over 6 mos of the calendar year in most states). Tell them you're living there but are staying in your current home occasionally, waiting for it to go on market (?)
I have called all the major companies such as Allstate, NC Farm Bureau, State Farm, Nationwide, plus 2 brokerages and no one will write a policy. Every single one has told me the same thing - they will not write a policy for property unless they also are covering my auto.

And the brokerage that has the master insurance policy for the townhome association was REALLY helpful -- they said they would find someone to cover the townhome if I would bid out ALL my property and autos for coverage. In other words, dump my current carrier (and I spent 4 months bidding out that business less than 2 years ago). Unbelievable.

The State Insurance Commission was also very helpful <sarcasm> They said I could file a complaint but that there was no statute to prevent insurance companies from insisting that they have to cover a person's auto in order to issue a homeowner's insurance policy.

Last edited by brokensky; 07-03-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 02:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Headache from hell. I think it is Chocolate Martini time.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Headache from hell. I think it is Chocolate Martini time.
ani, could you put a close relative's name on the deed temporarily and get the insurance policy under his/her name till you actually move in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement