Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2019, 10:03 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,919,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
We just had to have some ac valve replaced on a vehicle with less than 30,000 miles on it. (off warranty due to age). That cost us over $300 too. I don't think you can have anything done for less than 300 these days!

I had to have two of my electric window 'motors' replaced and those cost me $200 each. The parts were just under $100. The place I go charges about $90 hour. I always knew I was in the wrong profession!

Old 08-23-2019, 10:37 AM

19,852 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I had to have two of my electric window 'motors' replaced and those cost me $200 each. The parts were just under $100. The place I go charges about $90 hour. I always knew I was in the wrong profession!
And that is why more kids should consider the professional (or semi-professional) construction trades! There will probably always be a demand for plumbers and other skilled trades, these kind of jobs pay very well, and they don't require four years of college and a huge amount of debt to learn.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,919,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And that is why more kids should consider the professional (or semi-professional) construction trades! There will probably always be a demand for plumbers and other skilled trades, these kind of jobs pay very well, and they don't require four years of college and a huge amount of debt to learn.

Just about my entire maternal family are plumbers or work in related trades. My granddad was a plumber, and so was his brother, who moved here in 1930 and became filthy rich after WWII because of that. Grandad's sons in law were plumbers and their sons too. Two own their own companies. So, yes, plumbers do quite well. One of them branched out into electrical and owns his own company too. I worked for him for a while doing remodels of professional buildings. Should have stuck with it but, at the time, they said I was "too old" for an apprenticeship. I was 36 and I think the cut off was 25. Not fair.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:18 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,962,971 times
A couple of weeks ago I was informed - via Facebook - that a high school classmate passed away. I wasn't really friends with her in high school but I last saw her at our 40 year class reunion. It was sad to hear. My 85 year old uncle, who lives in Manhattan, lost a good friend he knew since he was 14 in Junior High. The friend was also 85. We had a long talk over the phone how we feel somehow diminished by the loss of family, friends, neighbors, etc. I guess it's just part of growing old.

I suppose deep down inside we expect to outlive grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, etc. ... but ... when it's our peers there is something alarming about it. I almost hear the trees whispering "YOU'RE NEXT!" Yikes.

On a happier note I just want to report that retirement is just going fine. Man, the absolute freedom to do anything I want every day! Not to have to worry about work, putting on the uniform, going to briefings, making appointments around my work schedule. It's almost like having a taste of the independent carefree life of a rich person who never had to work! Summer vacation for the rest of my life! The only downside, quite frankly, is that I am not in my peak earning situation and I'm having to be more careful budgeting my funds. Dining in nice restaurants, making impulse purchases, taking overnight weekend trips must have limits now. The price of things just seem to be going up and up. In a few years I guess I will have to do the unthinkable: sell my Victorian house on a shady street in a historic neighborhood and downsize to an apartment somewhere.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:00 PM

5,599 posts, read 6,525,684 times
Yep. The "cycle of life". I don't like it but there is nothing we can do to stop it. But, we can enjoy it to the fullest at whatever age.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:34 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,121,055 times
I left Facebook a couple of months ago. I spent way too much time on the computer with FB being the one I spent the most time on.

I'll miss a few things, but enjoy the time I have not sitting in front of the computer.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:23 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was informed - via Facebook - that a high school classmate passed away. I wasn't really friends with her in high school but I last saw her at our 40 year class reunion. It was sad to hear. My 85 year old uncle, who lives in Manhattan, lost a good friend he knew since he was 14 in Junior High. The friend was also 85. We had a long talk over the phone how we feel somehow diminished by the loss of family, friends, neighbors, etc. I guess it's just part of growing old.

I suppose deep down inside we expect to outlive grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, etc. ... but ... when it's our peers there is something alarming about it. I almost hear the trees whispering "YOU'RE NEXT!" Yikes.

On a happier note I just want to report that retirement is just going fine. Man, the absolute freedom to do anything I want every day! Not to have to worry about work, putting on the uniform, going to briefings, making appointments around my work schedule. It's almost like having a taste of the independent carefree life of a rich person who never had to work! Summer vacation for the rest of my life! The only downside, quite frankly, is that I am not in my peak earning situation and I'm having to be more careful budgeting my funds. Dining in nice restaurants, making impulse purchases, taking overnight weekend trips must have limits now. The price of things just seem to be going up and up. In a few years I guess I will have to do the unthinkable: sell my Victorian house on a shady street in a historic neighborhood and downsize to an apartment somewhere.
I can't quite imagine you not living in that beautiful Victorian house. But I know what you mean. I don't live in a cute cottage at the beach anymore. Live in an apartment faaaar inland and hate it.

Growing older is quite an adjustment, that's for sure. Only for the brave or maybe the lucky.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:27 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,121,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
in_newengland[/b];56016235]I can't quite imagine you not living in that beautiful Victorian house. But I know what you mean. I don't live in a cute cottage at the beach anymore. Live in an apartment faaaar inland and hate it.

Growing older is quite an adjustment, that's for sure. Only for the brave or maybe the lucky.

I fought a lot of the changes I had to make. Tried hard to get what I wanted.

Once I made peace with things, life got a lot better.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:39 AM
JRR

8,177 posts, read 5,683,962 times
Really nice day here today. Overcast with some rain this afternoon, but may not even hit 80 today. Got the windows open and the A/C off. First day in a while for that.

Looking our my office window at the front flowerbed, the Diamond Eyes miniature rose has a lot of blooms. It is unusual as it is dark purple with a white center. The Franklin tree is just about done blooming for this year; still has about half a dozen more to open. It has been 7 weeks since the first one opened, so it gave me a really long season this year.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:55 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,960,795 times
It is 64 degrees now, was 58 this morning and may hit 72 today. Loving the weather on our mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement