Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 AM

205 posts, read 397,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hey just an update for those of you who knew my reason for joining this group four years ago was that I was longing to move back to Southern CA, where I spent 1999-01. So I moved back to the Philly area and have even moved a places within Philly and Jersey itslf. I bought a house last year thinking it would be my last....I'm 61. But lately I've been thinking -- h*ll, I'm only 61, I still could move to CA from 65-70. Get it out of my system! So that's my new plan. I've always gotta have something to look forward to.....
I know the feeling. I bought my house 2-1/2 years ago at age 62. Believe it or not I will be 65 in about two weeks - Medicare just kicked in - YAHOO!!!! Never thought I would say that but after spending the last four years paying for my own health insurance at $400+ a month WITH a $5K deductible which meant I pretty much paid for everything myself on top of the insurance, Medicare is saving me so much. And, yesterday I filled an ongoing prescription for this month and saved nearly $40 over what I have been paying out-of-pocket.

I was out with a friend yesterday at Ponce Inlet, FL (between Daytona Beach and New Smyrna) - it was a wonderful, warm, sunny day for being by the water. Met a wonderful man working on his 37' Hunter Sailboat. We got to talking with him and his story is so great! He's 66, wife is 61. They're from Austin, TX but moved to Nova Scotia during Bush II administration. They love NS but sat looking at each other one day and said "Are we going to spend the rest of our lives sitting here with the clicker?" His wife started showing dogs and he loves his sailboat. So during the winter his wife travels to various dog shows and he spends his time in FL working on his sailboat, sailing to the Bahamas (he has electric sails so solo sailing is very doable). He said they felt that with his sailing and her heavy driving schedule showing dogs they have probably a good ten years before age will slow them down. Such an eye opener for me! I am in great shape, physically and health wise and have the same thoughts - Is this what I am going to be doing and where I am going to live for the rest of my life? I admire them, but realize they both have a passion and THAT is what keeps you going.

So, I am going to start really taking inventory of myself, figure out what my real passion is and go from there. I am just getting to the age when our parents would retire, move to Florida, take up golf, travel, etc. I am going to embrace this stage of my life and not squander it and wake up one day and ask "Where the h*ll did the last ten years go?"

I know I have at least another very good ten years of adventure left in me - and maybe more. Isn't that what this thread is all about?

Last edited by karcon; 12-05-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Good for you Avalon08; you're never too old to live life. My father moved at 62, 75, and then 85 to different states. He kept active doing what he loved (gardening, golfing, bowling, visiting friends & relatives).
See? He had his passions!!! Another inspiration to follow. Thank you for sharing this!!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is my thought too. Although I like very much where I'm living, I feel restless for adventure and a new location in a few years. That is the "imagination" side of me. The reality is, would I have the guts and stamina to make another move? And where? Still waiting for that grandkid...(no little angel has made itself known so far...) I could go anywhere from Maine to the Southwest. Not too focused am I.
That has been my problem exactly! No grandchildren on this end either. Have one adult child in CA (bay area) and one in Annapolis so I too could go anywhere - no family here. I need to focus, I need a plan. I will spend going into the new year doing just that!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
I am 60 and I need to focus and plan also. I seem to be so scattered...sometimes I think that I would like to live up north.....like in South Dakota and pursue my love of rocks, gems, geology. Sometimes I think I would like to return to Indiana. I have lived in south Florida nearly 40 years and miss the 4 seasons! As I get older I am less heat and humidity tolerant. I also love gardening and would love to live where we have great soil and few pests/diseases. I am very fortunate that I am healthy, no aches and pains....but life seems to be just passing me by.....

Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Pop - are you still considering CO? I get that same feeling at times - "life is just passing me by~~~" Time to fix that.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
OK I've finally identified it...the kind of place I want to live....only somewhere in the U.S. Where would that be?? (not upscale living please, but down-home)...

Made in Gotland [Monocle]

[video]

Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Yes, I am still considering CO. I might fly out this spring/summer to Denver and tool around a bit.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM

I want down home too, nothing fancy, tiny home or shared home, a place for a garden, a place to grow my own flowers....especially love lavender..... I would like to leave heavy traffic, hectic living and find some peace and contentment.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM

[quote=popcorn247;21992207]I want down home too, nothing fancy, tiny home or shared home, a place for a garden, a place to grow my own flowers....especially love lavender..... I would like to leave

Let me know when you're going - I plan to go out spring/early summer also.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OK I've finally identified it...the kind of place I want to live....only somewhere in the U.S. Where would that be?? (not upscale living please, but down-home)...

Made in Gotland [Monocle]

[video]
When I finally get to CO you can come visit (we'll go kidnap LC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement