Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Also I am not blaming Travis for his death, but he shares some responsibility for still carrying on with Jodi even though he admitted he was through with her and was even afraid of her.

When she showed up at his house the last time he could have physically thrown her out of the house---he was a grown man not a helpless child. He didn't need to engage in sex with her which just encouraged her obsession.

He bears more responsibility than a helpless child who is abducted off the street, raped, tortured, and murdered for example.

So if I was on the jury I would also consider that.

Also I think Jodi has mental problems, and we shouldn't be executing the mentally ill.
Is there any cold-blooded murderer that doesn't have "mental problems" in some sense? They all think a little bit differently from normal people, don't they? A personality disorder is not an illness in the sense that, say, schizophrenia is. She knows right from wrong, she premeditated the murder and took steps to cover it up, there were no voices in her head telling her to do it. She is mentally competent, so it's not an excuse.

Travis isn't the one on trial, he didn't ask to be killed no matter what. Jodi Arias is the only person responsible for killing him, and she is eligible for the death penalty if the jury so chooses.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:44 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Is there any cold-blooded murderer that doesn't have "mental problems" in some sense? They all think a little bit differently from normal people, don't they? A personality disorder is not an illness in the sense that, say, schizophrenia is. She knows right from wrong, she premeditated the murder and took steps to cover it up, there were no voices in her head telling her to do it. She is mentally competent, so it's not an excuse.

Travis isn't the one on trial, he didn't ask to be killed no matter what. Jodi Arias is the only person responsible for killing him, and she is eligible for the death penalty if the jury so chooses.
You nailed it and she knew so well right from wrong that she tried to lie her way out of it and if the science and experts weren't so good at their job they might not have been able to recover the pictures on the camera that she willingly deleted to cover up!

As Juan stated "Travis will always stay 30!"...Jodi already took his life and destroyed the families life's. Now she has a chance to get out after 25 yrs which would be a disaster for the family and a slap in their face and a huge win for Jodi so she can fool the parole board down the road and she will start to make her strategy the minute she is behind bars.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:49 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
All murders are horrific. This one doesn't stand out as particularly heinous in my opinion. Travis suffered for about 2 minutes.

There are other cases where someone is systematically tortured for days or months until they die of the torture, including young children who are murdered by their parents. This happens EVERY day, given that on average 5 children a day die in the U.S. from abuse and neglect. Some of these children are horrifically abused by a parent for their entire lifetime, and that parent doesn't get the death penalty.

This just isn't a particularly heinous murder. Yes, you have to judge this on its own, but on its own I don't think it is that heinous.
2 Minutes can be forever for the person being killed. You do not know how horrific it was for Travis Alexander being stabbed many times. Like I said before you can not base this case on other cases.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
Executing her will ensure she doesn't have a criminal history.

See how it works? It works every time. That's the beauty of it.
Past tense, she has a criminal history. Theres no beauty there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Arizona life sentence means after 25 years she can get out on parole!!!

That is crazy which means she wins!

To me there is only one answer to that....
Assuming she gets out...25yrs is along time. Who's to say she'll ever show remorse for her crime and deemed ineligible for parole in those hearings.

Bentlebee...you give Jodi Arias more credit than I do. She's disturbed.....I don't see the 25yrs as being clean sailing.

Last edited by virgode; 05-21-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
If life doesn't mean life in AZ...then she should be put to death...

Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Jury has gone home for the day and tonight .... drum roll here ... Arias is giving interviews to NBC, ABC and FOX ... this was announced by the court. Judge Stephens lifted the gag order on interviews for Arias today.

Can you believe this ... no verdict yet and going on TV ... PIO said hour and half interviews with each!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Past tense, she has a criminal history. Theres no beauty there.

Assuming she gets out...25yrs is along time. Who's to say she'll ever show remorse for her crime and deemed ineligible for parole in those hearings.

Bentlebee...you give Jodi Arias more credit than I do. She's disturbed.....I don't see the 25yrs as being clean sailing.

If she gets 25 years ... they deduct time served of 5 years!

If jury comes back with death penalty that's it.

If jury comes back with life ... then Judge Stephen's will announce her decision LWOP or 25-life at a later date. Sometimes two weeks .... sometimes 30 days ... you never know. I have seen cases when the judge doesn't announce the sentence for 60 days.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
If she gets 25 years ... they deduct time served of 5 years!
As far as I'm concerned she had a fair trial. If Arizonia law is 25yrs, she's served 5 of 25 yrs. I don't see the if's. It is what it is.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
I thought they were talking about life with no parole, meaning she would be imprisoned for life.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
2 Minutes can be forever for the person being killed. You do not know how horrific it was for Travis Alexander being stabbed many times. Like I said before you can not base this case on other cases.
Two minutes is still two minutes. It may have seemed like a very long time to Travis, but it's not the same as a child who is beaten and brutalized by a parent for years, with unmended broken bones, and head injuries. Which happens all the time.

I still think he bore responsibility for keeping Jodi in his life. Not that he deserved to be killed for it, but it's not like he's a helpless little child. If he was afraid of her why did he have sex with her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime