Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 06:39 AM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times

Advertisements

Contractors, etc. can't compete because those who hire illegal aliens lower their prices to boot out the competition.

If Americans were given back those blue-collared jobs they in turn would be paying taxes so the argument to make illegal aliens legal so they will pay taxes is moot.

No law abiding American business should have to compete against another business who hires illegal aliens. Illegal aliens have no right to be here or to work here. Their employers are also in violation of our immigration and labor laws. Guess some don't care about our laws or the American worker though therefore they defend illegal aliens and want to them to be able to remain here to compete for what scarce jobs there are. I don't understand that mindset at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 AM

424 posts, read 468,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I have no ready link for this, just bits and pieces I've picked up from Hispanic news channels.
Many Mexican illegals are returning to Mexico as the job market has picked up there. A lot of their children who attended American schools and learned English are finding good jobs in many of the industries starting up and expanding there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
What is all this crap about contractors, gardeners, plumbers, etc. not being able to compete? Why can't they compete? Because the illegals charge less, presumably because they don't have to pay taxes, get insurance on their vehicles, etc.? Well make them legal citizens and they will!

Or are we really just afraid we still won't be able to compete

Sorry, I may be the only one, but I agree with claud605.
Or, more illegals will just come in, encouraged by the amnesty you liberal nut jobs want to give to their predecessors I believe that happened once before...

Old 12-20-2013, 07:46 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,561,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
That's a piece of crap poll

Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,249,453 times
Quote:
What is all this crap about contractors, gardeners, plumbers, etc. not being able to compete? Why can't they compete? Because the illegals charge less, presumably because they don't have to pay taxes, get insurance on their vehicles, etc.? Well make them legal citizens and they will!

Or are we really just afraid we still won't be able to compete

Sorry, I may be the only one, but I agree with claud605.
Or we hold illegals accountable for the laws they have broken as we would legal citizen.
Or we hold employers accountable for breaking our laws, as is only right.
Sorry I don't believe in rewarding criminal behavior.
Why give illegals a free pass? This nation allows more legal immigration than all other nations combined. We don't owe illegals anything, least of all a free pass.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,249,453 times
Quote:
Obviously, not all of us agree that it's bad for them to simply come here. Not all of us think the provided "path to citizenship" is the only morally justifiable way. But if it helps satisfy your need to punish them, there could be a tax levied on them in particular to gradually "pay their debt to society" for coming here illegally. I'm sure most of them would agree to these terms.

And I don't think you know a thing about their needs...

That was precisely my point. Then it'd be back to (or at least much closer to) "may the best man win". People would be hired for their qualifications, not because they can't make the employer pay them minimum wage. Then, everyone would be happy
Their needs are completely irrelevant. Their needs should not even be a factor in the decision making of our laws in regard to immigration.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:16 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,141,861 times
The one problem I see with granting amnesty is that forgiving the criminal activity of coming her illegally would require that we forgive ALL criminals!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 AM

424 posts, read 468,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
That's a piece of crap poll
Let them pat each other on the butt and gleefully jump up and down in these BS "polls." The moment amnesty comes up for vote the legislature will be flooded with calls, emails and letters from actual Americans who were not and will not be polled by the big liberal weenie.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:52 AM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times
We punish American lawbreakers, don't we? So why is it deemed cruel to punish illegal alien lawbreakers? So it's a moral issue not to grant citizenship to them? How so?

I will repeat we need the jobs they are holding and unemployed Americans would in turn be paying into our tax coffers. Shall we just levy a tax on American lawbreakers rather than justice being applied? Every crime committed has its price. In the case of illegal immigration our laws state they should be deported. The punishment fits the crime. Someone is missing the point that we don't need these illegals here we need the jobs they are holding so how does levying a tax against them fix that?

So foreigners here in violation of our immigration laws should have a right to compete for jobs against Americans and "may the best man win"? We don't have enough competition for jobs between Americans themselves? Uh, the choices between prospective American job seekers is usually about the one with the best qualifications already.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,530,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
guess 60% don't realize what the word ILLEGAL means

why should anyone be rewarded for an ILLEGAL act

Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 PM

140 posts, read 218,975 times
Quote:
Obviously, not all of us agree that it's bad for them to simply come here. Not all of us think the provided "path to citizenship" is the only morally justifiable way. But if it helps satisfy your need to punish them, there could be a tax levied on them in particular to gradually "pay their debt to society" for coming here illegally. I'm sure most of them would agree to these terms.

And I don't think you know a thing about their needs...

That was precisely my point. Then it'd be back to (or at least much closer to) "may the best man win". People would be hired for their qualifications, not because they can't make the employer pay them minimum wage. Then, everyone would be happy
You just don't seem to get it. Why do you think and who do you think would want undocumented immigrants to pay a tax? The whole point is to make it easier for them to come here so that businesses can reduce labor cost and increase productivity. Adding conditions on undocumented immigrants would reduce labor supply thus increase labor cost. The point of not separating families is to provide a good environment for them to thrive, work hard, pay tax, and create a better future for their families. The two parties' line is that if these immigrants are willing to come here and work hard, more power to them and more power to businesses that thrive as a result. Our businesses favor immigrants also because immigrants don't have unnecessary entitlements, are willing to learn and better themselves, are very hard working, and have a good birthrate to sustain family values, which have apparently gone downhill among liberal European Americans. American businesses need immigrants because they no longer need a culturally privileged population who want to get more and work less. They no longer need a population that learn to criticize business before they learn a trade. They no longer need a population whose desired wage would put American businesses at a serious disadvantage in global competition. They no longer need a population who have thrown away multiplying and embraced anti-consumerism. What American businesses NEED are people who are willing to learn, work hard, and contribute to and benefit from economic growth. European liberalism is a much bigger problem than undocumented immigrants. With the current demographic trends, America in 2050 will be much more family-valued, entrepreneurial, hardworking, kind of like the traditional America in a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration