Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Steelers beating Pats? I will believe it when i see it.. until then.. i aint buying it!
I had the same thought. I would have not believe Pittsburgh beat New England until I saw it. The Steelers had it but New England fought back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
Go pats!!!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:22 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Feel free to list examples of this. The NFL does not change the rules to "favor" the Patriots at all.
Nope. They change the rules to favor the other teams, because Belichick the genius actually reads and understands the rulebook and is a craftsman in the gray area of the rules.

That last TD called back against the Steelers will force the NFL to revisit yet again what a catch means. That was a crucial and season changing call.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:59 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Unfortunately the NFL is at fault because no one knows "what a catch" really is...

This problem really took off w/Dez vs Green Bay and hasn't been fixed....

Old 12-17-2017, 07:03 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
The ruling on the incompletion was spot-on.

Quote:
Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...eting-a-catch/

All James had to do with secure that ball and it would have been 2nd-and-goal at the one-foot line with 28 seconds left and plenty of time for Pittsburgh to run two plays, then kick a field goal on fourth down if necessary.

James blew it.

Then the Steelers blew it with the fake-spike call.

Then Roethlisberger blew it with the ill-advised pass.

People whining about the call either don't know the rules or don't care because they'd rather spin nonsensical conspiracy theories and whine about how unfair everything is than acknowledge that the call was right and that the player should have made sure he caught the ball before trying to get into the end zone.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
The difference is the NFL changes the rules when the Patriots lose because of the officials.
Really? Try again dude...

NFL changes the rules when OTHER teams lose to the Patriots....like the Colts...and the Ravens....etc...

Now go back to rooting for whatever loser team you support....

Old 12-17-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Nope. They change the rules to favor the other teams, because Belichick the genius actually reads and understands the rulebook and is a craftsman in the gray area of the rules.

That last TD called back against the Steelers will force the NFL to revisit yet again what a catch means. That was a crucial and season changing call.
I really don't think it will...

The rule was applied correctly and the NFL has actually been very consistent in their application of the rule in multiple similar situations over the past few years .

The rule I DO think they need to re visit is the one we benefited from earlier in the season when Sefarian-Jenkins bobbled the ball against the pylon and it was ruled a touchback...happened one or two other times this season....THAT rule is a travesty and much too harsh to the team that loses control of the ball and then possession as a result

Old 12-17-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Go pats!!!
Exactly!!

What a finish THOSE are the games that remind you why you love football...especially if you are a Pats fan!!

What was that Brady's 51st 4th quarter comeback? GOAT right there

Gronkowski well on the way to being GOAT at TE as well he is just unstoppable...that catch he made inches off the turf??? A guy THAT big that can RUN as well as he can AND get down to make a catch like that while running full speed?? Defies physics....he really is a physical freak of nature.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:36 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I really don't think it will...

The rule was applied correctly and the NFL has actually been very consistent in their application of the rule in multiple similar situations over the past few years .

The rule I DO think they need to re visit is the one we benefited from earlier in the season when Sefarian-Jenkins bobbled the ball against the pylon and it was ruled a touchback...happened one or two other times this season....THAT rule is a travesty and much too harsh to the team that loses control of the ball and then possession as a result
I forgot about that one. That was much more convoluted than the call today which I thought was fairly cut and dry based on the rules. I will say though I also thought the Jenkins call was the right one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Exactly!!

What a finish THOSE are the games that remind you why you love football...especially if you are a Pats fan!!

What was that Brady's 51st 4th quarter comeback? GOAT right there

Gronkowski well on the way to being GOAT at TE as well he is just unstoppable...that catch he made inches off the turf??? A guy THAT big that can RUN as well as he can AND get down to make a catch like that while running full speed?? Defies physics....he really is a physical freak of nature.
Gronk is simply a beast. Someone will take out his legs again, as it's the only true way to stop him. Some say Gronk is fragile with all of his past injuries, but I say he's just a huge target players take shots at because they have to.

Brady was, well, Brady. Easily the GOAT QB, and arguably the GOAT of all players.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times
Have to say as a life long Patriots fan since just before the Grogan years, these last few years have dramatically caused my blood pressure to spike. You just never know with this team, they keep finding ways to win when you think things are hopeless. It is always edge of your seat madness. Last night I kept running the situation through my head and figured Pitt would go for the tie, then the catch on the line..........just like Butler with Seattle and down 28-3 with Atlanta the Pat's steal the Prom queen away from Pittsburgh.

One has to wonder now how those teams going against the Patriots prepare themselves. Not saying the Patriots are going to win every game, but as an opponent how do you mentally prepare for a team that for the most part always seem able to pull a rabbit out of their a$$. Again I am not gloating, but the fact remains that unless the ball is dead with no time on the clock the Pat's can pull off a miracle.

Great game by both teams last night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football