Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
She brutally killed a man, and went on like normal. It is beyond creepy scary.
Completely scary-creepy-unreal...

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I agree about her lack of normal emotion. I think she has the characteristics of a psychopath.

The thing is, I wonder what makes someone a psychopath. From what I've read, many psychopaths do indeed come from an abusive and troubled background, but there are those like Ted Bundy or Jodi Arias that don't. It almost seems like a brain disorder or abnormality, in which case should we have some compassion for someone if they have become a psychopath?
Maybe, except for one thing...she knew killing someone was wrong. She knew, I think, that she had some psychological problems. In the police interview she mentioned something about Travis' family and if they had been calling the police for updates. The detective said 'yes they have been calling every day'. At that point Jodi says 'I wanted to call every day, too, but I didn't want to appear obsessive'. Someone who says that, IMHO, is aware of certain behaviors they have. If they do nothing about it as far as seeking help, then they should be considered culpable for any unlawful actions they perform. I would bet that lots of people have told her about her undesirable behavior (especially in school; kids are brutal!). She surrounded herself with people who were probably just too polite to confront her on her behavior. They just tolerated her, from what acquaintences say now.

Her defense team kept referring to her as a 'girl'. Talk about psychological pranks! She was not a girl when she killed Travis, and she is not a girl today. FGS, 15-year-olds (or younger) are sometimes tried as adults!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
I reserve my compassion for the victims of the psychopath. It's a waste of energy IMO to feel compassion for someone that has no conscience. Not all psychopaths become murderers, but for the ones that do, they feel no more remorse about killing a person than they would a cockroach.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
I thought Arias was creepy on the stand when Nurmi was examining her ... of course Nurmi was just a creep with his questions. Then she pulled her smart mouth remarks when the prosecutor cross examined her.

When Arias did the interviews from jail my skin would crawl when a reporter would shake hands with her. On June 4, 2008 those hands had to be covered in Travis Alexander's blood, the knife slick and dripping with Travis Alexander's blood.

The jurors that are speaking out now are feeding the defense team valuable info for the next jury selection ... the four votes for life were older members of the jury.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I thought Arias was creepy on the stand when Nurmi was examining her ... of course Nurmi was just a creep with his questions. Then she pulled her smart mouth remarks when the prosecutor cross examined her.

When Arias did the interviews from jail my skin would crawl when a reporter would shake hands with her. On June 4, 2008 those hands had to be covered in Travis Alexander's blood, the knife slick and dripping with Travis Alexander's blood.

The jurors that are speaking out now are feeding the defense team valuable info for the next jury selection ... the four votes for life were older members of the jury.
The fact that the jury split 8-4 suggests that the prosecution was unable to prove the existence of the aggravating circumstances beyond a reasonable doubt (ARS 13-751) and sufficient to convince all the jurors.

This was not just one obstinate juror holding out but one third of the jury. That suggests to me that the chances of a new jury getting 12-0 for the death penalty are not all that good. My prediction, therefore, is that Arias will be sentenced to natural life.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:19 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I reserve my compassion for the victims of the psychopath. It's a waste of energy IMO to feel compassion for someone that has no conscience. Not all psychopaths become murderers, but for the ones that do, they feel no more remorse about killing a person than they would a cockroach.
For me, compassion isn't usually something I make a decision on. It's a feeling. I did feel sorry for Arias when she was giving her penalty phase statement, because it was so evident just how barren her inner world is. She truly doesn't get it, she's just not operating like most people are.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The fact that the jury split 8-4 suggests that the prosecution was unable to prove the existence of the aggravating circumstances beyond a reasonable doubt (ARS 13-751) and sufficient to convince all the jurors.

This was not just one obstinate juror holding out but one third of the jury. That suggests to me that the chances of a new jury getting 12-0 for the death penalty are not all that good. My prediction, therefore, is that Arias will be sentenced to natural life.
That's a good point, and now, as others have already pointed out, both sides know better how to fine-tune their arguments.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:31 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

The aggravating circumstance of cruelty was proven to the jury. In the penalty phase, they weigh that aggravating factor against any mitigating factors.

Arizona has had 5 mistrials in death penalty cases since 2002 when the jury started deciding the sentence as opposed to the judge. In 4 out of 5 of those mistrials, the case was retried and in 3 out of those 4, the new jury voted for death.

Two of the three alternate jurors have spoken publicly and they said they would have given her death as well.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The aggravating circumstance of cruelty was proven to the jury. In the penalty phase, they weigh that aggravating factor against any mitigating factors.

Arizona has had 5 mistrials in death penalty cases since 2002 when the jury started deciding the sentence as opposed to the judge. In 4 out of 5 of those mistrials, the case was retried and in 3 out of those 4, the new jury voted for death.

Two of the three alternate jurors have spoken publicly and they said they would have given her death as well.
Do they know who the four holdouts for life were? I'm assuming one of them was the jury foreperson.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:

It is up to the prosecution to prove the existence of the aggravating circumstances beyond a reasonable doubt. By the same token, it is up to the defense to prove mitigating factors. That is Arizona law.

Clearly, two thirds of the jury did not believe that the balance of aggravating and mitigating circumstances were sufficient to warrant the death penalty. That is fact, not speculation.

What the alternates would have voted is not relevant as 1) they didn't get a vote and 2) they will not be impanelled for the new jury.

As I already stated, if it had been just one or maybe two hold-outs then perhaps a new jury could be convinced by the prosecution. But four hold-outs is a lot and suggests that it will be hard for the prosecution to move the balance between aggravating and mitigating circumstances far enough to get a 12-0 for death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime