Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 07:34 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The vast majority of immigrants to the USA enter not because they are educated but because they have a family member who can sponsor them.
...and how do you suppose that sponsor qualified for a visa to come here? I guess they were able to establish family ties to a descendant of slaves.

Not all African-Americans are ignorant about the immigraton process. Africans have a high bar to clear in order to be here, which means they had money back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Do you know that in the 1300's the Mali empire was one of the wealthiest on this planet?

These people were, in all likelihood, Hebrew. Meaning: descendants of Shem and not Ham. The majority of African immigrants are descendants of Ham. Do you know where many of the descendants of Shem are today? America. Yes, that's right. They built another empire. The American empire. If the Africans today are descendants of the great African kingdoms of the past, WHY IS THERE NO KINGDOM IN AFRICA TODAY??? That knowledge and skill should have been passed down through generations. There is no African empire today, because the Hamites sold the real nation-builders.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
These people were, in all likelihood, Hebrew. Meaning: descendants of Shem and not Ham. The majority of African immigrants are descendants of Ham. Do you know where many of the descendants of Shem are today? America. Yes, that's right. They built another empire. The American empire. If the Africans today are descendants of the great African kingdoms of the past, WHY IS THERE NO KINGDOM IN AFRICA TODAY??? That knowledge and skill should have been passed down through generations. There is no African empire today, because the Hamites sold the real nation-builders.

What are you basing these beliefs on? Provide some data to support your claims that isn't extracted from a religious text.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:10 PM

A quick Wiki says one of the rulers was a former slave (clue one) who converted to Islam (clue two). I'm sure if you traced these names, they'd eventually reveal Israelite origins. Hebrews fled their native land and mixed in with the Hamites because they could blend in. It's why ignorant people still think AAs and Africans are the same today. At some point I will research one of these kingdoms, but I'm fairly confident these people were Hebrew based on what I know of history and the Bible. Again...if they were purley African ( as we know Africans today), why can't they duplicate the success of those empires? Africans are beholden to Europeans today...just as they were in ancient times. It's why Europeans are more comfortable with them than AAs...because AAs don't always assimilate as easily. Just. like. the. Israelites.

ETA

One of those kings was Mansa Musa. I believe "Musa" translates to Moses. You'll probably find many such translations that go back to Hebrew origins if you dig deep into the names.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
And this is my point. Its insulting to both black Americans and Africans for people to compare African accountants with black American security guards.

Insulting to black Americans because it reduces the entire population to being under class, which is blatantly untrue. Insulting to Africans because comparing them to people with less education and human and social capital is an insult to the high potential of these people.

Let us compare street people from Lagos with those from Brooklyn. Everything that I have seen of Lagos suggests that it is a way more aggressive and violent environment at the street level than is true even for NYCHA projects.
I agree with you there. In Barcelona en La Rambla you will see Nigerian prostitutes, drug dealers, and peddlers of clothes and various items. Obviously not all Africans in Spain are like this, but there's an obvious underclass, particularly among the undocumented.

The Africans with legal status and jobs tend to live all over Spain, the undocumented/underclass are dumped in certain poor neighborhoods or in refugee centers.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of research on various Jewish populations in Africa, including West Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_of_Bilad_el-Sudan

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...h-history-tour

And yes, some of these descendants of Jews from West Africa have gotten Spanish or Portuguese citizenship this route. I'm not that unique.

There were Jewish slave owners in the South, I am a descendant of those and of African slaves.

But back to Africans who have some Jewish ancestry, of course they aren't all in America. There are plenty in Africa today.

The empire of Songay was destroyed in a Morocco jihad. Usman Dan Fodio, the Fuliani jihadist, made a huge Islamic empire from the Atlantic to the Red Sea. Not long after the European nations carved Africa up in COLONIALISM. That was obviously the END of empires in Africa, the Europeans had better weapons.

Ethiopians have heavy Jewish ancestry, even their language and writing systems are semitic.

Here's more on Igbo Jews (lots of Nigerians were sold into slavery. Of course Nigeria wasn't a nation then, there were kingdoms such as the Yoruba and Igbo).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Jews

Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of immigrants to the USA enter not because they are educated but because they have a family member who can sponsor them. All they have to do is to prove that they will not be a burden to society so if they can work a taxi or in daycare that is good enough.

Here is how one can see how black immigrants face racism. The more educated a black immigrant and a black American have the better the black American does relative to the black immigrant. The black immigrant pays a penalty for being "foreign".

And I in fact am saying that one cannot compare a Nigerian immigrant (over 30% have graduate degrees) with a black American (only 25% have college degrees). The fact that black immigrants do better is because immigration is a selective process which attracts the more educated, driven and risk oriented. This is ESPECIALLY seen with Africans who have an even harder time reaching the USA than is true for Caribbean blacks.

Black immigrants do better NOT because they encounter less racism, but because they arrive with more human capital than the average black American has. But when we compare like for like the black American does better.

It is only at the lower educational rungs where black immigrants outperform black Americans. And this can be explained by the debilitating impacts of past Jim Crow (de facto in the North and de jure in the South) which wounded many poorer black Americans leading to self destructive behaviors.
You can directly compare a Black American with a graduate degree (yes, we exist) with an African with a graduate degree.

Condoleeza Rice is an example. Michelle Obama is an example. Cory Booker is an example. Barack Obama is an example. African Americans with advanced degrees seem to be more likely to go out for high end positions in politics or at times in the corporate sector. I rarely here of this with Africans or Caribbeans. Barack Obama was the President, but this was due to being raised by his white mother and his white grandparents, his father was completely absent.

You can also compare a Nigerian cab driver with an African American bus driver.

You can compare Nigerian, West Indian, and African American HRA and other civil service workers, as all three Black groups in NYC work in the public sector in very large numbers. Throw in Afro-Latinos too, you will see a lot of them in the public sector.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Trevor Noah has done skits on Nigerians in Jo'burg. Yes they are considered loud and angry in that city and I don't think that people in that city are docile and soft either.

We really ought to stop comparing Nigerian doctors with American street hustlers. The Nigerian street hustler will have the American ones running home screaming for mummy.
Hahahaha. I see Nigerian street hustlers in Barcelona, but they are really only permitted to hustle in La Rambla. The ones that are more together get a license to sell their goods in the train station in Plaza de Catalonia.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 PM

I'm not talking about Jews. I'm talking about Israelites. There is a difference. A big one.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:51 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
...and how do you suppose that sponsor qualified for a visa to come here? I guess they were able to establish family ties to a descendant of slaves.

Not all African-Americans are ignorant about the immigraton process. Africans have a high bar to clear in order to be here, which means they had money back home.
Being a middle class person doesn't mean that one is rich. Few Africans arrive under the asset based visas. They now come mainly under family unification.

They come with their degrees and little in the form of financial assets and do as well as they can. Given their high educational levels they will out earn an average black American.

The question is that when we compare black Americans and Africans with equivalent levels of education who does better. The answer is that the highly educated black American does much better than does the same type of African. The less educated African does better because they come with a lot of ambition and drive. To be able to get through the hurdles of getting a visa it would take a special person who is poorly educated to do so.

Not sure if you live in NYC but if you do go down 116th street. These are poorly educated French speaking mainly Muslim West Africans. They do better than their black American equivalent because it took special people to be able to defy a hostile immigration system to get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa