Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I'm challenging beliefs about infant baptism to say it will gain entry to Heaven.

Whether you did it or not is your issue.

AAAAAAACK

NOBODY said infant baptism is the secret decoder key to get into heaven! NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY.

Is that what you think we believe? That we can be baptized as infants and go on our merry way and be done with it? Far from it my friend. Perhaps you should try to understand before you are so quick to condemn. We have not condemend adult baptism but it is not necessary for one who has already been baptized. The rest of what it means to be a Christian is required for all - from the good son to the prodigal son.

All that was said was that infant baptism was widely practiced in the early church, backed it up with historical quotes, and that it met the intent of ONE BAPTISM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Born again means to be baptized.

There are 3 that give record on this earth, and 3 in Heaven

blood, water, spirit.

Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Blood of Jesus, Water Baptism, and the seal of the Holy Spirit.
Amen!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
So you say you're a Christian. What defines you as a Christian? Are you a cultural Christian? A cultural Christian by definition is one who lives by the standards of the culture around him/her. A cultural Christian says we should love everyone and forget about sin because that is not loving. Are cultural Christians truly Christians? That is between the person and God. However you must ask youself, "Have I been born again? Have I received Jesus into my heart and life and am I living a holy and righteous life before God?"

If you have truly been born again then by all means you will go to heaven and live eternally with the Father. Our Creator. Many will say that it's not fair or it's narrow minded to think in this manner. The words I've written here are found in the Bible and are the truth of God.

Many will stand before God and say, "But I did this and that in your name," and He will say "Away from me you evildoers, I never knew you." What an awful and horrible day that will be for men/women who hear those words.

Are you a Christian? The only true Christian is one who has received Christ as Savior. The rest are Christians in name only.

AMEN>>>>..

Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
To say being baptized as an infant fulfills the requirement of water baptismal is VERY DANGEROUS.

Jesus didn't teach this, and neither is it recorded in the bible.

The Early Church practiced water baptismal but not infant.
The Early Church were JEWS, and they knew that circumcision was to be done to infants not water baptismal. Even Paul writes about this as most Jews looking to proseltyze were looking to 'circumcize' the new converts. It doesnt' speak of water baptism.

That would be INCORRECT as it was NOT the same baptismal as Jesus or John the Baptist taught. Why would the Jews care about it when baptisms weren't important as the way Jesus taught it?

When they asked Jesus what must they do to be saved...

Repent AND be baptized. Babies/infants cannot repent. They don't know right from wrong AND dont even know the reason to be baptized.

Like I wrote earlier...it's NOT in the Bible.

If it was done in the early church then why didnt Paul/Peter write about it?

Also, you should learn where water baptism for 'infants' was first started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
AAAAAAACK

NOBODY said infant baptism is the secret decoder key to get into heaven! NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY.

Is that what you think we believe? That we can be baptized as infants and go on our merry way and be done with it? Far from it my friend. Perhaps you should try to understand before you are so quick to condemn. We have not condemend adult baptism but it is not necessary for one who has already been baptized. The rest of what it means to be a Christian is required for all - from the good son to the prodigal son.

All that was said was that infant baptism was widely practiced in the early church, backed it up with historical quotes, and that it met the intent of ONE BAPTISM

Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
I am confident and comfortable with my own baptism and know I am saved by God's grace and redeemed through the blood of Christ through no act of my own.

That is all I can say anymore about this topic.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am confident and comfortable with my own baptism and know I am saved by God's grace and redeemed through the blood of Christ through no act of my own.

That is all I can say anymore about this topic.

And that in itself is reason to not be cranky.

<><

Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 PM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Just by your anger alone tells me your walk with the Lord is not right. I pray that you find the one true God.
This statement, makes me realize that your walk is not right either. You people think that you have the ONLY way to salvation, but you never stop to think that maybe, JUST MAYBE there are other people in this world that have it just as right. If you came to my door trying to sell your brand of religion to me, more than likely, you would either get an earful from me for interrupting my sleep for no reason, or you wouldn't hear anyting other than the sounds of my door closing. You can have your beliefs of who's got it right, who's got it wrong, and who you think is going to heaven, but don't try to push it onto me. There are more than one jokes about someone going to heaven and after he's there for a few days he asks St. Peter about the buildings without windows and a very high wall around it and St. Peter replies, "That's for the _________, They like to think they're up here alone." I've heard many different versions where that blank is filled in with fundies, catholics, sda's, mormons, jw's, etc. just fill in the blank.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 AM

348 posts, read 502,624 times
Default Corinthians anyone?

Some thoughts on a previous post I've just been reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 . . .
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate (catamite, "soft," males who are used by other males sexually), nor abusers of themselves with mankind (sodomite, literaly, "male-lier"),
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
Yes, yes, James, We know all that, but the writer of Corinthians (NOT Paul, it seems) - is getting a bit carried away here isn't he?

Apart from the blatant unfairness of giving all the above such derogatory labels (each of these wretches must have had a redeeming quality of some sort, taken as individual souls, surely?) - it looks like the 'Kingdom of God' is going to be the most under-populated club in the history of the cosmos.

Think about it, there is hardly a single human on the planet who hasn't fallen foul of at least one of these transgressions - (I'm getting rather tired of that ubiquitous word 'sin, as I don't have much use for it in my daily life') - so that doesn't leave enough perfect people to fill a telephone-booth, let alone a Kingdom.

Passing over your very interesting, but somewhat too gloating definitions of various kinds of sexual practices (the 'gay' bit is especially educational - possibly a bit too provocative, but thanks anyway for explaining to me who I am) - Just about the whole of humankind falls somewhere on your scale.

Take thieves, for instance: I once heard of a wicked woman who actually stole twelve rubber bands from her office. She was never prosecuted, but I am happy to think that the likes of her won't ever contaminate the Kingdom of God. Hell is surely too good for such people. I realise that there are many worse forms of stealing, but does God make a distinction?

Then there's the coveters amongst us. Fortunately, here in the UK it is difficult to find a covetous person, but the situation might be different in the States. Here NOBODY envies his neighbours flashy car, or the lifestyles of the rich and famous. In this us Brits are probably quite unique (I'm joking, of course!). I realise that this particular crime may be relatively innocent and very widespread, but does God make any allowances for our human frailty?

As for drunkards - well, what can I say? Too many to count, probably, and if you include everybody who is fond of an occasional glass of wine (as Jesus was), the list escalates to staggering proportions. None of these, then, will stand a chance on the Day of Judgement?

Revilers and extortioners? How about that loveable breed - the telly-evangelisers - need I say more?

The writer forgot to warn the Corinthians about the mortal consequences of eating lobsters and prawns, or any other shellfish.

He also forgot to mention that clothing made of mixed fibres would also lead to damnation. (can there be any left by this stage who are totally sin-free - I doubt it).

Lastly, the Bible makes it known that God doesn't like people with poor eyesight (banned from the Holy Temple, I'm told) - so any of you glasses-wearers out there be warned - there will be no place in Heaven for any of you...

I may be gay myself, but far from being effeminate (I shave TWICE a day), but some of my best friends are . If I point this out when my time comes, do you think my other sins will be overlooked if I repent? My friends, on the other hand, may never change to please anyone, having this perverse belief that if they avoid hurting anybody in this life they are safe. How mistaken can you be? They still carry the mark of Cain, don't they, although they are the kindest people you could hope to meet?

Pardon my quirky British levity, but all the points are serious ones, and not meant to be irreverent in any way.

Last edited by brianrees; 10-21-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post

Yes, yes, James, We know all that, but the writer of Corinthians (NOT Paul, it seems) - is getting a bit carried away here isn't he?

Apart from the blatant unfairness of giving all the above such derogatory labels (each of these wretches must have had a redeeming quality of some sort, taken as individual souls, surely?) - it looks like the 'Kingdom of God' is going to be the most under-populated club in the history of the cosmos.

Think about it, there is hardly a single human on the planet who hasn't fallen foul of at least one of these transgressions - (I'm getting rather tired of that ubiquitous word 'sin, as I don't have much use for it in my daily life') - so that doesn't leave enough perfect people to fill a telephone-booth, let alone a Kingdom.

Passing over your very interesting, but somewhat too gloating definitions of various kinds of sexual practices (the 'gay' bit is especially educational - possibly a bit too provocative, but thanks anyway for explaining to me who I am) - Just about the whole of humankind falls somewhere on your scale.

Take thieves, for instance: I once heard of a wicked woman who actually stole twelve rubber bands from her office. She was never prosecuted, but I am happy to think that the likes of her won't ever contaminate the Kingdom of God. Hell is surely too good for such people. I realise that there are many worse forms of stealing, but does God make a distinction?

Then there's the coveters amongst us. Fortunately, here in the UK it is difficult to find a covetous person, but the situation might be different in the States. Here NOBODY envies his neighbours flashy car, or the lifestyles of the rich and famous. In this us Brits are probably quite unique (I'm joking, of course!). I realise that this particular crime may be relatively innocent and very widespread, but does God make any allowances for our human frailty?

As for drunkards - well, what can I say? Too many to count, probably, and if you include everybody who is fond of an occasional glass of wine (as Jesus was), the list escalates to staggering proportions. None of these, then, will stand a chance on the Day of Judgement?

Revilers and extortioners? How about that loveable breed - the telly-evangelisers - need I say more?

The writer forgot to warn the Corinthians about the mortal consequences of eating lobsters and prawns, or any other shellfish.

He also forgot to mention that clothing made of mixed fibres would also lead to damnation. (can there be any left by this stage who are totally sin-free - I doubt it).

Lastly, the Bible makes it known that God doesn't like people with poor eyesight (banned from the Holy Temple, I'm told) - so any of you glasses-wearers out there be warned - there will be no place in Heaven for any of you...

I may be gay myself, but far from being effeminate (I shave TWICE a day), but some of my best friends are . If I point this out when my time comes, do you think my other sins will be overlooked if I repent? My friends, on the other hand, may never change to please anyone, having this perverse belief that if they avoid hurting anybody in this life they are safe. How mistaken can you be? They still carry the mark of Cain, don't they, although they are the kindest people you could hope to meet?

Pardon my quirky British levity, but all the points are serious ones, and not meant to be irreverent in any way.
If I may interrupt here.......just to address some of what you said. The Kingdom of God, as we are told in the Bible, will indeed be under-populated, according to the following scripture:

Matthew 7:13-14....(In Jesus' own words) "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Wow, that really says it all. How very sad. And as far as one sin being greater than another---that also is not true according to the Bible so you are correct about that. However, that is why Jesus died on the cross for us so that we could go to Him and ask for forgiveness of those sins. But that's not all that is required. We must strive to live like Jesus and follow all of the Bible's commandments. You must deny yourself and your perceived needs and pick up the cross and follow Jesus.

The sins of mixed fibres and shellfish were under the old law, which was done away with under the new law of Jesus Christ. He bore ALL of our sins for us, all we have to do is repent and believe. Eyesight? Come on. Anything can be taken out of context, which is what you have done.

And to quote myself from another thread, this is what is to be done in reference to homosexuality and other abominations against God.

[quote = Northsouth]
It is apparent to me that your replies reflect that you do not want to hear the truth or address what the other posters are saying to you.

But I'm going to give it to you anyway (the truth), with love. Here's the truth:

I have brain abnormalites and defects and I'm a devout fundamentalist Christian. Do YOU feel love and caring towards me?

It's about what the Bible says, not how we feel. Let's just forget about homosexuality for a minute, and look at it from this perspective.
What does the Bible say about pre-marital sex? It says that we are to abstain from sex until marriage. Yes, abstain. Does it specify heterosexual sex only? NO.

Therefore, having any kind of sex, heterosexual or homosexual, is wrong outside of marriage.

What does the Bible say about marriage? That it is to be between one man and one woman. So, in the confines of the Biblical directives, there should be NO premarital sex. And since gay marriage is not ordained by God and homosexuality is actually an abomination to God, what is the homosexual to do?

They are to do what other Christians do, and what the Bible says. They are to do what alcoholics and drug addicts do...abstain. Accept Jesus Christ, live for the Lord and deny their urges and desires. They are to surround themselves with loving Christians who accept them and help them through it.

I am a single person, and I do not have sex. It is because the Bible tells me that I should not unless I am married. It's that simple. You pray to God to help you with your weaknesses, read and study the Bible and live only to please your God. DO NOT live to please yourself, you fight the good fight for the few years you are here and you win an everlasting life with our Almighty Creator God. It will be worth the very temporary self-denial to have a permanent place in heaven.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post

Not really. You don't understand sin and righteousness

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-21-2008 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity