Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalieCat View Post
You do know that every year your taxes and insurance goes up, right? If I were a landlord and my expenses went up for a rental I had I would raise the rate too. I just got notice that since our taxes and insurance went up so does our house payment, just the way of life since the bank refuses to pay them for us.
We have never raised rent on a renter.

We typically have had renters who move after 3 or 4 years, I am fine with re-assessing the rent at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
You need a lease, reindeerlady. It locks in the rent rate. We didn't care for them when we first had one, but we learned very quickly that it is to our advantage as much as to the landlord. I should be brief and be very clear and to the point about the responsibilities of the rentor and the landlord. Apparently your landlord's word is not his bond. Get it in writing. And owning is always preferrable. It not only invests your money instead of giving it away, you have peace of mind knowing you live in YOUR house, with no one coming around to check on THEIR property. You might want to be aware that most states have laws regarding rentor's rights. IE, landlords can't come into the house when you're not home, things like that.
El, the knots in my stomach are getting tighter by the day. I can only imagine what you must be going through. Be careful. Don't know what route you're planning, but there are crazy drivers everywhere (just ask Brad) so be careful. Remember that it's still ice and snow the further north you get. And absolutely check in with us each night, if you're not too exhausted.
Hubby's crew is giving him a party on the 6th and I'm postponing the final lunches with friends. Actually, to be honest, I'm hiding out at home so that I don't have to say goodbye. Don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to get away with that. At the same time, I'm looking forward to the new move, the trip up, (we're taking the Blue Ridge Parkway) and seeing what's under all that snow!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
We had a wonderful time with our family today at our Bon Voyage. The food was fabulous! I got some pics to share with you. The first two are Lobster Rolls and Veggie Wraps.
Attached Thumbnails
UPDATE'S, Where are you in life, and your move to Maine-014.jpg   UPDATE'S, Where are you in life, and your move to Maine-028.jpg  

Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 PM

Endive Salad and my sister, Steph serving up scrumptuous Clam Chowder. I completely forgot to get pics of the dessert table with the blueberry muffins and the blueberry cream cheese pie, and by the time I remembered, it was all gone! :-)

We had great food and great fellowship, got some really nice gifts, and now I have to figure out where to pack them. I'm going to spend tomorrow resting - really - I am. I need to rest and gear up for the two days first of next week when I know we won't have time to stop moving.

Holy cow, I can't believe we only have 4 more days here!
Attached Thumbnails
UPDATE'S, Where are you in life, and your move to Maine-015.jpg   UPDATE'S, Where are you in life, and your move to Maine-030.jpg  

Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 PM

I have to throw in this last one of my other sister, Theresa, who put the party together for us. It was a sweet gesture! And there we are admiring a very special housewarming gift - a wooden serving bowl bought in Bavaria 50 years ago.

Of course, all the family let us know how much they would miss us, but they also expressed true joy and well wishes for us. Most of them are already planning their trips up to see our new home state, starting with my parents who are coming up mid-March to help us get settled.

It was a perfect day!
Attached Thumbnails
UPDATE'S, Where are you in life, and your move to Maine-031.jpg   UPDATE'S, Where are you in life, and your move to Maine-050.jpg  

Old 02-22-2009, 05:21 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
What a lovely, gracious way of sending your family up to your new home in Maine, Elcarim!

Thank you for sharing the pictures! The food looks delicious! You must have very talented cooks in your family!

It's very sweet of them to do this. You are fortunate you have such a loving family. They'll miss you for sure, but they get the added benefit of being able to come up to Maine to visit you now.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:38 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Soounds like the gang came around!! I can't believe this is really happening. I bet it would be surreal if you weren't sitting amid islands of packed boxes!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:42 AM

263 posts, read 616,246 times
Wow! 4 days?
Great pictures of the party, thank you for sharing them with us.
Take it easy on the road trip up.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
[quote=Casper1212;7565854]El, the knots in my stomach are getting tighter by the day. I can only imagine what you must be going through. Be careful. Don't know what route you're planning, but there are crazy drivers everywhere (just ask Brad) so be careful. Remember that it's still ice and snow the further north you get. And absolutely check in with us each night, if you're not too exhausted.quote]

We're about to be nailed with a substantial "Nor'eastah" tonight (up to 15 inches in some places) so I wanted to "ditto" the drive safe!

Remember, getting here a little late is much preferable to having to have a pit stop in an emergency room.

There are always people who think that they can pass anyone at 90 miles an hour with a 4 wheel drive, in any road condition, and that their 4 wheel drive won't allow them to go off the road. Pull over and let them pass on by - just make sure to smile and wave when you encounter them climbing out of their truck which will be located in the ditch around a mile or so up the road. Well, okay, stop if they're upside down. I'm not completely heartless...

Good luck on your trip!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:42 AM

Thanks, everyone! It IS surreal. It feels like we're planning for a long vacation. I'm sure it won't hit home until we're arranging OUR furniture in the new house.

Corgis, I need to talk to you about that trek around New York. I think I'm missing a road on my map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine