Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 07:08 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

In case you were wondering, I am still reading The Claverlings http://www.amazon.com/The-Claverings.../dp/1453612726
I am enjoying it and sticking with it, but I am only now up to 60%. Maybe I will finish my Thanksgiving at the rate I am going. (halfway laughing and halfway truthful). I have never taken so long with a book ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finally found and finished a book! ... The book is called The Queen of the Tearling and one would think it is a fantasy but it seems that it is a post-dystopic world. The writer is great at world-building. I thought that the characters were strong, with strengths and flaws.
Added to my TRL. Though at the rate I am knocking them down it will be in my next lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
In regards to work, today is Day 1 on a new heavy-duty project. We all know what that means. Oh well. The books will be there when I'm ready, right? Right.
And so will we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
In case you were wondering, I am still reading The Claverlings http://www.amazon.com/The-Claverings.../dp/1453612726
I am enjoying it and sticking with it, but I am only now up to 60%. Maybe I will finish my Thanksgiving at the rate I am going. (halfway laughing and halfway truthful). I have never taken so long with a book ....
You're just ahead of the curve on the Slow Movement. There's slow cooking, slow money, and now you've discovered slow reading. As long as you are enjoying it.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 AM

Listening to "The Help" by Katheryn Stockette

Still Reading Rex Stout's "The Rubber Band."

Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I loved The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje and The Cat's Table sounds great. Looking forward to it.

I'm about 80% through The Dog Stars and still enjoying it. I have no idea how it's going to end so it's making me a little anxious.
I thoroughly enjoyed and recommend the The Dog Stars. It's a post-apocalyptic tale with
Spoiler
a happy ending.

The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the end felt a little rushed. Seems like the author got 3/4 of the way through it and then just wanted to finish.

I have two things waiting--Fourth of July Creek and Palace Walk. Not sure which I'll pick up next. I'm in serious need of fluff right now and I don't think either of those is fluffy.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed and recommend the The Dog Stars. It's a post-apocalyptic tale with
Spoiler
a happy ending.

The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the end felt a little rushed. Seems like the author got 3/4 of the way through it and then just wanted to finish.

I have two things waiting--Fourth of July Creek and Palace Walk. Not sure which I'll pick up next. I'm in serious need of fluff right now and I don't think either of those is fluffy.
I know I read Fourth of July Creek but I don't remember if I liked it.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I know I read Fourth of July Creek but I don't remember if I liked it.
Ha! I'll let you know what I think. But if it looks at all grim or sad, I know I'll put it right back down.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:00 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Currently the Cousin's War by Phillipa Gregory has been my favorite easy read. Read Odd Thomas and loved it. Eagerly awaited Seveneves, got it from the library and couldn't get into it. Too much science for me and not enough fiction I think. Then to be difficult started reading A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson) and absolutely love it.

I'm trying to work in at least one self help book at least once in a while, so I'm reading The Gifts of Imperfection (Brene Brown) and I like it, but have to force myself through it.

I'm also reading Speak by Louisa Hall which I am thoroughly enjoying.

Vacation is coming up and the one good thing about living so far from everywhere is that I am guaranteed a minimum of 5 hours to read each way.

I have loaded my Kindle with books and have all the library books standing by.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-10-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Vacation is coming up and the one good thing about living so far from everywhere is that I am guaranteed a minimum of 5 hours to read each way.

I have loaded my Kindle with books and have all the library books standing by.
That sounds like a GREAT vacation -- books AND time to read them! Enjoy.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:33 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
"Red -- The Tempestuous Life Of Susan Hayward"

Old 11-11-2015, 06:42 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
L'Étudiant étranger by Phillipe Labro.

I love books in foreign languages but they're difficult to find on the shelf. Found this on at a reseller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books